PDA

View Full Version : California freeway bridge collapses, blocking Ariz. traffic

Horn
19th July 2015, 11:11 PM
LOS ANGELES —
An elevated section of Interstate 10 collapsed Sunday amid heavy rains in the California desert, injuring one driver, stranding many others, and halting travel for thousands by cutting off both directions of a main corridor between Southern California and Arizona.

"Interstate 10 is closed completely and indefinitely," said Terri Kasinga, spokeswoman for the California Department of Transportation.
A bridge for eastbound traffic about 15 feet above a normally dry wash about 50 miles west of the Arizona state gave way and ended up in the flooding water below, the California Highway Patrol said, blocking all traffic headed toward Arizona.

The westbound section of the freeway near the tiny town of Desert Center also closed. The roadway was intact but extremely undermined by flooding and could need just-as-extensive rebuilding, Kasinga said.

No timeframe was given for when either side would reopen as crews were diverted from other projects to examine the site.

"They won't even be able to begin assessing the damage until Monday," Kasinga said.

That means those seeking to travel between California and Arizona would be forced to go hundreds of miles out of their way to Interstate 8 to the south or Interstate 40 to the north.

Busy I-10 is the most direct route between Phoenix and parts of Southern California, including Los Angeles.

Transportation officials recommended travelers on the east side of the collapse use U.S. Highway 95 in Arizona to get to the other freeways, and that in California drivers use state routes 86 and 111 to get to Interstate 8 into Arizona.

One driver had to be rescued from a pickup truck that crashed in the collapse and was taken to a hospital with moderate injuries, the Riverside County Fire Department said. A passenger from the truck was able to get out without help and wasn't hurt.

Hundreds of other cars were stranded immediately after the collapse, but the California Highway Patrol was working to divert them in the other direction off the freeway and it wasn't clear if any remained, Kasinga said.

Pamala Browne, 53, and her daughter were driving from Flagstaff, Arizona to Palm Desert, California when they got stranded when the westbound lanes were shutdown.
"Oh my God, we are so stuck out here," Browne told the Desert Sun newspaper. "There's no end to the cars that are stuck out here."

The rains came amid a second day of showers and thunderstorms in southern and central California that were setting rainfall records in what is usually a dry month.
Rain fell Sunday afternoon in parts of Los Angeles County's mountains, the valley north and inland urban areas to the east. The city also was expected to get a late repeat of Saturday's scattered showers and occasional downpours as remnants of tropical storm Dolores brought warm, muggy conditions northward.

"We have a chance of some more heavy rain in LA County this evening, thunderstorms, lightning, possibly some localized street flooding," said National Weather Service meteorologist Joe Sirard.

The showers forced the Los Angeles Angels' first rainout in 20 years and the San Diego Padres' first rainout since 2006.

Saturday's rainfall broke records in at least 11 locations, including five places that had the most rain ever recorded on any day in July, Sirard said.

July is typically the driest month of the year in Southern California. Because of that, Saturday's 0.36 inch of rain in downtown Los Angeles exceeded the 0.24 inch recorded July 14, 1886, which had been the wettest July day in nearly 130 years.

The record is especially significant, Sirard said, because downtown Los Angeles has the longest recording climate station, dating back to July 1, 1877.

Saturday's storm brought flash floods and power outages and turned Los Angeles County's typically packed coast into empty stretches of sand when the threat of lightning forced authorities to close 70 miles of beaches.

Signs warned beachgoers to avoid storm drain flows into the ocean because of Saturday's sometimes heavy rain. The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health recommends people avoid swimming within 100 yards of a storm drain for 72 hours after heavy rain.

Warnings were also in place for high surf and strong rip currents on all south-facing beaches, including Venice, Santa Monica, Malibu, Zuma, Newport and Huntington, officials said.

Meanwhile, the summer storm has helped firefighters advance on two wildfires that broke out Friday.

Muggy, moist conditions were expected to persist through Monday.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/ap/top-news/storms-close-beaches-causes-power-outages-in-calif/nm3Cz/

crimethink
19th July 2015, 11:52 PM
Quality engineering & maintenance courtesy of Caltrans!

A lot of these bridges and other road infrastructure haven't been repaired for decades. Most of the monies from fuel taxes go to service the ever-increasing traffic in the big cities. Caltrans can't even keep up with that, as the below news release demonstrates:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/no-april-fools-day-joke-2501-of-californias-bridges-need-structural-repair-new-analysis-of-us-department-of-transportation-data-finds-300059426.html

The American Empire is literally imploding.

Horn
20th July 2015, 08:11 AM
Apparently the Cuban flag going up at the U.S. Embassy in Cuba is bigger bananan republic news.

Hitch
20th July 2015, 08:28 AM
Quality engineering & maintenance courtesy of Caltrans!

How old was that bridge? It may have been built by Americans. The new bridges...oh don't get me started on bridges..the new ones are built in China. The steel is literally shipped from the USA to China, sections of the bridge are built, then those sections get shipped all the way back here.

crimethink
20th July 2015, 08:40 AM
How old was that bridge? It may have been built by Americans. The new bridges...oh don't get me started on bridges..the new ones are built in China. The steel is literally shipped from the USA to China, sections of the bridge are built, then those sections get shipped all the way back here.

Yeah, I know, like the new Bay Bridge.

Spectrism
20th July 2015, 08:40 AM
Money has gone into ghost projects: tunnels for the rich with underground cities, space weapons / missiles to shatter large asteroids, telescopes to watch the skies, weapons and propaganda to foment wars.

crimethink
20th July 2015, 09:03 AM
Money has gone into ghost projects: tunnels for the rich with underground cities, space weapons / missiles to shatter large asteroids, telescopes to watch the skies, weapons and propaganda to foment wars.

Like the "missing" $2.3 trillion Donald Scumsfeld announced on September 10, 2001. Yeah, the day before that. Easily "forgotten."

Ponce
20th July 2015, 09:55 AM
I see this as only the beginning, all bridges are in piss poor conditions...... Horn? from now on Cuba will be going down hill instead of staying just neutral and happy as it has been for over fifty years.....the beginning of the end.

V

Cebu_4_2
20th July 2015, 11:53 AM
Where I used to live infrastructure was bad, where I am at now is completely different.
Last place roads in horrible condition, dirt roads in the country a hazard, bridges collapsing etc. Nice new huge jails and prisons though.

New place almost all roads are freshly paved, road widening projects, bridges replaced just to replace them? lol. I am not in a big city and in my travels have found only 1 road that wasn't paved, might have been a private road not sure.

Took a while to sink in but it's all at the state level what they choose to do with the tax money they get.

Jerrylynnb
20th July 2015, 10:26 PM
One of my college summers I hired on with the Texas Highway department, along with a couple of other college guys, at minimum wage, to more or less stand around during the construction of the interchange at northeast Dallas where I635 and I35e cross (that still today is a massive interchange with various levels going every whichaway). We mostly goofed off, kidded around, and competed trying to get the attention of any babes that happened by. We were more or less worthless, but, our boss was a different story (as were the regular construction workers).

He was in his early 30's, had a wife and two kids, and was mister concrete and construction with his every breath. He hounded us from start to quit about not being such goof-offs and trying to teach us something about concrete, highways, freeways, elevations, etc., and spent his every waking moment during the day making sure that the intersection construction met specs, with zero tolerance for anything less than perfection. He had these steel buckets and every single concrete truck had to fill up one of those buckets, which he would let "cook" for a specified time, and, then he had this press that he would use to break that "bucket" pour and measure how strong the concrete from that truck was - the concrete companies were on the hook to tear down, and repour, any batch that failed to meet specs. That clause guaranteed that the concrete companies were as dedicated to excellence as was the construction crew working for the Texas Highway department, and our boss.

The bottom line here is that, way back then in 1963, america was about as good as you could get in technology, competence, and dedication to excellence in work. Most of all the construction workers were white, but, guess what? they were a few blacks and mexicans also, but, since there was no affirmative action back then, these "minorities" were every bit as dedicated to excellence as were the whites and they had earned their jobs by measuring up.

That interchange (I35e and I635) still stands today, and I don't worry when I have to go way up high and over it - I know that it was built with nothing less than perfection, because I saw it being built with my own eyes - our boss wouldn't let even the slightest deviation from perfection get by!

That was then. I doubt that our construction work, anywhere in the US, can measure up to the way we went about our jobs back then. Sure, we college summer hires were goof-offs, but we weren't given much to do but run errands and watch and hollar when somebody gave us a signal.
The real work was done, and expertly done, by regular construction workers who earned every red cent of their pay.

America, what happened to you?