PDA

View Full Version : Cuban Jews want "property compensation"

crimethink
20th July 2015, 03:11 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/20/world/americas/as-us-and-cuba-relations-warm-property-claims-issue-is-revived.html

Left behind were the deep roots and rich life her American-born grandfather had begun building in Cuba more than a half-century before, along with everything else of value that belonged to the family: a 14,000-acre farm, a shirt factory that made guayaberas, and a stately 17-room Spanish colonial home in a section of Havana then known as “Country Club,” which belonged to Ms. Rosoff’s grandmother.

For Ms. Rosoff and the thousands of other American individuals and companies who hold financial claims against the Cuban government for property seized in the revolution — valued today at somewhere between $6 billion and $8 billion — the resumption of diplomatic ties between Washington and Havana, with embassies to reopen in both cities on Monday, represents more than a historic thaw in relations between two Cold War-era adversaries.

It is a chance to be compensated for property long-since written off as irretrievable, and for some, an opportunity to heal old wounds still raw after decades.

“They lost this very well-established, vibrant life that just got splintered and shuttered off, and for all these years nothing could be done,” said Ms. Rosoff, who is now 50 and living with her mother in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.

“I look upon the opening up with Cuba as an opportunity that we haven’t had up until now to make this right, but I don’t want us to be trampled over.”

(...)

Also left behind in Cuba was the United Hebrew Congregation founded by Morris Schechter, Ms. Rosoff’s grandfather, in 1906.

ShortJohnSilver
20th July 2015, 06:38 AM
The rest of us want compensation for the BS of Communism, which is a Jewish invention, promoted by Jews.

"Some call it Communism; I call it Judaism."

Atocha
20th July 2015, 07:12 AM
Couldn't the Native Indians here do the same thing?

Jewboo
20th July 2015, 08:04 AM
Poncestein is already packing.

Ponce
20th July 2015, 10:03 AM
Yeah Boo, hope they don't find my guns in my luggage.....if the Cuban even mention anything about this in the news I will then become a Moslem...the only ones that would be fighting "those" people.

V

expat4ever
20th July 2015, 11:55 AM
Glad I got to see the real Cuba before they open it back up to the tourists and Corporations.

After looking into this a little more seems the corps arent allowed in yet. Its also a lot easier to come back to the US from Cuba nowadays. Tell em you were there and they just say welcome home. Far cry from the last time I was there.
I was going to spend the winter on the Big Island this year but the way things are going I may do Cuba instead. My understanding is that private ownership is now allowed there. However it was once before as well and as is normal in Cuba, investors got screwed.

Ponce
20th July 2015, 03:27 PM
Another revolution in five to then years.....the US will fill Cuba with China's junk and the Cubans with money from FL will go back to set up business and treat the Cuban that never left like slaves.....at first everything will be like a couple on a honeymoon, but then....... hit the deck or a metal flying pan will hit you in the head.........the US will try to put in place one of their own as head of the government.

The US does not want the Russians in Cuba and will do anything for that not to happen......but of course......they will not return the Guantanamo base back to Cuba......you may have noticed that nothing is being said about it. The US would love for Cuba to become a state of the US... MY country is in a very strategic "floating" place with a dominance view of Cemerica and Sumerica. As we know those two places are already targets for the US.....I would love to see what the Russians will do now.

V

crimethink
20th July 2015, 03:40 PM
investors got screwed.

Most "investors" deserved it:

a 14,000-acre farm, a shirt factory that made guayaberas, and a stately 17-room Spanish colonial home in a section of Havana then known as “Country Club,” which belonged to Ms. Rosoff’s grandmother.

expat4ever
20th July 2015, 06:10 PM
I havent been since 2006 but even then it was already filled with china shit. Us shit too but never really spoken about. US companies just did business with them through Mexican subsidiaries or something like that. Coke and Gillete were 2 that come to mind off the top of my head.

I think the US needs a new place to float dollars to keep inflation at bay too. Then the bankers will get in and start financing everything and eventually own everything just like here.
I would rather things just stay as they are. The Cuban people are great and although they dont have all the new fancy gadgets I think they are much happier overall than Americans.
The Russians wont ever try to go back. They have a presence there with the embassy. One of the houses I rented was close to it. Huge amounts of antennea set up on it.
There are some truly amazing places there if there is ever an opportunity to buy real estate. As poor as they are there they have no idea how rich they really are. The rest is just stuff.
Another revolution in five to then years.....the US will fill Cuba with China's junk and the Cubans with money from FL will go back to set up business and treat the Cuban that never left like slaves.....at first everything will be like a couple on a honeymoon, but then....... hit the deck or a metal flying pan will hit you in the head.........the US will try to put in place one of their own as head of the government.

The US does not want the Russians in Cuba and will do anything for that not to happen......but of course......they will not return the Guantanamo base back to Cuba......you may have noticed that nothing is being said about it. The US would love for Cuba to become a state of the US... MY country is in a very strategic "floating" place with a dominance view of Cemerica and Sumerica. As we know those two places are already targets for the US.....I would love to see what the Russians will do now.

V

Ponce
20th July 2015, 07:30 PM
Just read in "What Really Happened" that Raul Castro told the US that Cuba wanted Guantanamo back....after all, the lease was up around 1981.......

V

crimethink
20th July 2015, 08:29 PM
Just read in "What Really Happened" that Raul Castro told the US that Cuba wanted Guantanamo back....after all, the lease was up around 1981.......

"What Really Happened" is disinformation by Sorcha Faal.

Ooops...

Sorcha Faal's site is "What Does It Mean?" Too many distractions tonight while I try to reply on GSUS.

Ponce
20th July 2015, 08:38 PM
And that is one of my favorites sites........real or not I like it so that to me is all real until proven otherwise.

V

Jewboo
20th July 2015, 08:43 PM
"What Really Happened" is disinformation by Sorcha Faal.

No it isn't. I read it every day....lol.

http://whatreallyhappened.com/

:rolleyes:

expat4ever
20th July 2015, 08:50 PM
Cuba hasnt cashed the lease payment since sometime in the 1960's.

crimethink
20th July 2015, 09:09 PM
And that is one of my favorites sites........real or not I like it so that to me is all real until proven otherwise.

V

Never mind, I got confused, LOL. WRH is an OK site.