PDA

View Full Version : Hauppauge Wintv-950q usb tv tuner

Dogman
20th August 2015, 11:17 AM
I know some here think TV is radioactive, but also others here are not afraid to utilize all resources available to keep up with what is happening.

Especially during storms when local services are out or traveling and are away from the grid.

I have owned this usb tuner now for several years and at least for me, it has worked very well. I have used it many times during power outages when gen power was not quite yet needed and also when camping/fishing just for the hell of it.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr950q.html

I also use the extend feature so if the mood strikes me when I am outside kicking back to watch the news and stuff on my nexus 7 tablet over my home wireless network being in absolute too lazy to move mode in a lawn chair outside.

The included antenna is a semi joke but it does work for local stations in a 20 or so mile radius area.

With this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IF70T4M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Stations in Shreveport 70 miles or so away are good to go.

Just a thought for they that may want to expand what they can do with their laptops when on the move or desktops when one is in lollygagging mode or the power is out and radios are just so old school!

;D

And the really neat thing is no dedicated tv is needed, just giving your computer another job to do. So when not needed just pack the dongle away with the antenna, in my case in my laptop bag.

BTW..

It works world wide as far as standards go.

It also has allowed me to digitize/transcode some of my vcr and camcorder tapes that I really cared about keeping, which we all know vcr tapes wear ever time they are played.

With the external input cable, it can accept most everything analog to convert to digital for playback or recording.

And all of it an fit into a pocket,!

And the newer one is supposed to be even more sensitive the 955q. I have amazed many people by turning my laptop or installing the software on their systems into a tv set with this handy tool. !

Which I view it as a handy tool !

Boggles their minds.. ;)

ximmy
20th August 2015, 01:55 PM
something to consider... thanks

Dogman
20th August 2015, 02:05 PM
something to consider... thanks Got mine on a deal for abt 45 bucks, and have never regretted it at all. I have converted many a vcr tape/pre digital camcorder tape and just the hoot factor of having a laptop tv on demand where ever I park myself.

If one is bought second hand, make sure the installation disk is part of the deal, if not 10 bucks will get you a disk which is a ticket for updated software into >>>? who knows how long.

Running wintv v8 with extend and completely satisfied.

Well worth the cost for the ability to have a stealth tv available along with its capability of transcoding analog into digital videos.

monty
20th August 2015, 04:23 PM
They also have linux drivers at linuxtv.org

Dogman
20th August 2015, 04:25 PM
They also have linux drivers at linuxtv.org

Yep!

Handy and useful toy to have handy !

Sent from my Nexus 7

Glass
20th August 2015, 04:34 PM
I've been running Hauppauge gear for many years now. Its expensive but it just works and keeps on kicking. I am stuck in PCI world at the moment so the card is an old design. I bought a spare one, was going to run both for upto 5 channel recording simultaneous. Each one is a dual tuner. I've discovered that you can record 2 standard def channels and 1 hi def at the same time or 2 hi defs at once.

The old box is getting tired now. Records well enough but playback while doing something else makes it struggle. And it could not handle both cards. Not enough interrupts left.

PCI boards are hard to find now. They are out there but rare as hens teeth.

I've not watched live tv for 7 or 8 years at least. Or Adverts. Everything is recorded to watch later. I use an NZ designed PVR called NextPVR. Works very well. Does not support PiP that mixes a live signal + a recorded show. Otherwise it's very good.

I've used comskip for a long time. I found a very good .ini file that worked well for Australia TV ads. Now days I use MCEbuddy which I think works a bit better although you need to run it on 64bit for best performance. This old system is still 32bit so I transfer the files to another PC for MCEBuddy and then back again converted to MKV files. About 1/5th the original size and all ads neatly removed. Sometimes smaller.

Dogman
20th August 2015, 04:49 PM
I've been running Hauppauge gear for many years now. Its expensive but it just works and keeps on kicking. I am stuck in PCI world at the moment so the card is an old design. I bought a spare one, was going to run both for upto 5 channel recording simultaneous. Each one is a dual tuner. I've discovered that you can record 2 standard def channels and 1 hi def at the same time or 2 hi defs at once.

The old box is getting tired now. Records well enough but playback while doing something else makes it struggle. And it could not handle both cards. Not enough interrupts left.

PCI boards are hard to find now. They are out there but rare as hens teeth.

I've not watched live tv for 7 or 8 years at least. Or Adverts. Everything is recorded to watch later. I use an NZ designed PVR called NextPVR. Works very well. Does not support PiP that mixes a live signal + a recorded show. Otherwise it's very good.

I've used comskip for a long time. I found a very good .ini file that worked well for Australia TV ads. Now days I use MCEbuddy which I think works a bit better although you need to run it on 64bit for best performance. This old system is still 32bit so I transfer the files to another PC for MCEBuddy and then back again converted to MKV files. About 1/5th the original size and all ads neatly removed. Sometimes smaller.

Hauppauge does make some good hardware, and you do get what you pay for. I also convert most of my stuff into MKV which also does a good job.

I like this usb tuner , it packs dynamite into a very small package. It is a wonder to me looking at how small it is , that it can do such a fine job of what it does.

You are right PCI cards are getting rare, things are mostly usb now, but this dam thing along with the flat panel antenna works wonders here for me as far as receiving over the air stuff.

There are other tuners out there , but I suspect they struggle and fail to deliver what this thing does.

I can carry it in a t-shirt pocket with room to spare, which for a old tech head like me that first cut his teeth on tube based electronics think of it almost as magic.

;)

Dogman
20th August 2015, 05:38 PM
Also have played with NextPVR. Maybe not enough to say ether way on its merits, but for me not really my cup of. If I want to record the software that came with the tuner which has gotten much better at v8 and the scheduler works for me if I ever want to record anything which is as rare as hens teeth for me.

Glass
20th August 2015, 06:07 PM
yep sure. I like the flexibility of the EPG. I just have my favourites in there and when they show up in the EPG it books in a recording. In the old days you used to have to scrape TV schedule web sites, then format the data and upload it to the EPG. It was messy and the web site companies constantly changed their layouts to try and discourage people scraping them. Now days the EPG just updates over the air. Some networks still mess theirs up to make it hard for you, but it is much better than it was.

When I bought my card the software that came with it was limited. Most of them were. I think the first card I bought was a compro-usa which I ran for a couple years. It was a hybrid analogue digital. Before we had digital here. That card was very good. I passed it on to someone and it kept on working. I think it's been replaced by a netflix box now. The software for that was pretty good at the time. NextPVR has come a long way and I'm familiar with it. It was never compatible with the Compro-usa card which is why I ended up buying a hauppage. Was the most recommended card.

If I could get everything on a 64 bit system I would get NextPVT to do the post processing and file conversions by calling to MCEBuddy. Then I would be almost 100% hands off. I also like I can log in remotely and add or change what is being recorded.

I have been looking at USB tuners. I have access to a couple old-ish 64bit laptops and I thought one of those would be a good option with a USB tuner. My current PC pulls a lot of power and is about 25-30% of my energy bill each month. The laptop would be about 1/10th to 1/5th that amount. Only issue is the audio is stereo. I've looked at a USB sound card for 5.1. Creative make a couple that would be suitable. The other high power thing that needs to go is the screen. Its rear projection and also pulls a fair bit of power. New LED's run about 1/4 less juice. With the screen and old PC it amounts to about half of my power spend. I actually think I would go two screens, 42"+ each.

Its good to know this tuner is a decent unit. I'm looking for a tuner for software defined radio as well. Some brands of the USB TV tuners work well for this. Depends on the tuner chipset. I don't think the hauppagge one is suitable for that. I cant remember the name of the one I would get for that..... I've spoken to the manufacturers about it, because Amazon won't ship it to Australia but they will.

Dogman
20th August 2015, 06:16 PM
yep sure. When I bought my card the software that came with it was limited. Most of them were. I think the first card I bought was a compro which I ran for a couple years. It was a hybrid analogue digital. Before we had digital here. The software for that was pretty good at the time. NextPVR has come a long way and I'm familiar with it. If I could get everything on a 64 bit system I would get it to do the post processing and file conversions by calling to MCEBuddy.

I have been looking at USB tuners. I have access to a couple old-ish 64bit laptops and I thought one of those would be a good option with a USB tuner. My current PC pulls a lot of power and is about 25-30% of my energy bill each month. The laptop would be about 1/10th to 1/5th that amount. Only issue is the audio is stereo. I've looked at a USB sound card for 5.1. Creative make a couple that would be suitable. The other high thing that needs to go is the screen. Its rear projection and also pulls a fair bit of power. New LED's run about 1/4 less juice. With the screen and old PC it amounts to about half of my power spend. I actually think I would go two screens, 42"+ each.The current breed all support digital along with analog and some even come with a radio fm tuner.

The software is good, tho most was more windows media center driven. Now that microsoft has dumped media center, I think things will become more interesting to see what the company will do.

They still make cards as you probably know, so install and forget, but for laptops usb is the only option which has its benefits of portability. Have not tried to install on a usb flash drive to see HOW portable it can be. Seems the software needs a deep op system integration to work correctly, but for a grin I may try and install on a thumb drive just to see if it would work.

Yep desktop boxes do pull power that laptops do not do.

The screens I have not a clue but if usb driven would need to be externally powered I would thing>?< But I suspect that external powered driven by usb input are out there??? ?

Glass
20th August 2015, 06:30 PM
The screen is just a TV. 50" screen. I'm hooked up to the HTPC with HDMI. I don't use the tuner in the actual TV at all. Is only analogue anyway. I just use it like a big PC monitor.

Dogman
20th August 2015, 06:36 PM
Thank you!

I never had a clue abt MCEBuddy until you mentioned it. So I took a peek and liked what I saw and download it and will play with it and see what I can see if useful for me.

Who said you can not teach a old dog new tricks !

;)

Glass
20th August 2015, 07:15 PM
Thank you!

I never had a clue abt MCEBuddy until you mentioned it. So I took a peek and liked what I saw and download it and will play with it and see what I can see if useful for me.

Who said you can not teach a old dog new tricks !

;)

With MCEBuddy I tried having my MKV conversions set to highest quality. Reading some forums people said that there was very little if any noticiable difference in quality between MKV highest to second highest. However the processing time was a lot less with the second highest quality.

In my testing I think this is true. I'd be interested to see if you notice any difference.

The advert cutting of MCEBuddy is very good IMO. Nice and tight.

Dogman
20th August 2015, 07:26 PM
With MCEBuddy I tried having my MKV conversions set to highest quality. Reading some forums people said that there was very little if any noticiable difference in quality between MKV highest to second highest. However the processing time was a lot less with the second highest quality.

In my testing I think this is true. I'd be interested to see if you notice any difference.

The advert cutting of MCEBuddy is very good IMO. Nice and tight. I almost have 2 terabytes of my analog video/movies library converted to digital, slow going and hit and miss time spent on the project. Think I have another 3 or 4 to go until finished, but no problem for storage right now between my laptop/network and main usb storage drive I have close to 10 terabytes storage which will do the trick as long as I strip the extra junk out of them and just keep the main movie/video.

The tapes which some have only been played once are still deteriorating because that is what tape does, ether by bleed through or other means.

I really do not do much off the air recording unless it is something really important historicity or maybe so.

gunDriller
21st August 2015, 06:37 AM
I know some here think TV is radioactive, but also others here are not afraid to utilize all resources available to keep up with what is happening.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr950q.html

So, if you have the PC's to go with it - this allows a person to watch the Superbowl (and other sports that isn't webcast) ?

I only want to be able to get ABC, NBC, CBS, "broadcast TV".

Hmmm. Been looking at these for about 20 years. Hauppage has been around for a while.

Dogman
21st August 2015, 07:06 AM
So, if you have the PC's to go with it - this allows a person to watch the Superbowl (and other sports that isn't webcast) ?

I only want to be able to get ABC, NBC, CBS, "broadcast TV".

Hmmm. Been looking at these for about 20 years. Hauppage has been around for a while.

If the broadcast is local and over the air!

The answer is yes !

And if you do take the plunge stay away from the cheap ones, you will get what you pay for!

The HVR 955Q is the latest and greatest! But the HVR 950Q , the one I use is a great tuner coupled with a good hi gain outside antenna = Great. With a good inside antenna as I use it picks up all the stations here within 70 or so miles!

Just make sure your PC can handle it, most can. Reception range depends on antenna hight, the stations and yours and your location among other variables as nothing is blocking the signal, say like hills or living in a valley. Same reception rules as any normal tv installation, but with out a dedicated tv.

There are several programs that seem to give a good indication on what can be received.

This is one that works

http://antennaweb.org/

another good one.

http://tvfool.com/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Horn
21st August 2015, 08:15 AM
So when not needed just pack the dongle away

I have a 8 year old version that's brought out at intervals when some other piece of Chinese junk breaks

Waiting for windows Vx.x to not recognize the drivers or disc that comes with it.

I really oughtta clean out that storage container of dead pc items, probably 2 pounds of silver in there.

Dogman
21st August 2015, 08:26 AM
I have a 8 year old version that's brought out at intervals when some other piece of Chinese junk breaks

Waiting for windows Vx.x to not recognize the drivers or disc that comes with it.

I really oughtta clean out that storage container of dead pc items, probably 2 pounds of silver in there.

What version you run ?

I started with v7 and now v8 with extend.

Think it will be many years before the company will drop support of the 900 series or even the 800 series.

I only use the disk for verification, when updating the software running.

Can you run v8 or v7 ?

Old hardware has more than just silver in it. Thairs gold in themthire chips and traces.....;)

Horn
21st August 2015, 08:38 AM
I'm a white guy Dogman, gold clashes with my skin tone.

I've heard u can turn off digital signing for W7, yet not learned how.

Hauppauge does do good work with their drivers to make sure they can skate thru most blocks from what I remember.

Dogman
21st August 2015, 08:41 AM
Horn you are twilight zoning on me here !

;(

Horn
21st August 2015, 08:45 AM
Horn you are twilight zoning on me here !

;(

Is not me, is that CERN thing they started up.

I can work under most any conditions though.

Dogman
21st August 2015, 08:48 AM
Is not me, is that CERN thing they started up.

I can work under most any conditions though. Horny toad you are one of a kind !

Thank god for the worlds sake and peace of mind!

LMFAO !

gunDriller
22nd August 2015, 04:42 AM
http://dogman.com/

impressive website.

Dogman
22nd August 2015, 05:35 AM
LMAO !

Thanks for the grin !

Glass
15th October 2015, 07:44 AM
How has the tuner been performing Dogman?

Still looking at my options. I think I've found a current chip set mainboard that will run 2 old school PCI cards. So I could use my current + the spare for a total of 4 HD streams or some combo of SD/HD.

I hear that 3D streams are TV detected. Explained to me as, if the TV is 3D capable it will see 3D content come up on the EPG. If not 3D capable then nothing. I don't have such a beast and I use the TV's as computer displays anyways and not the TV tuner. Wondering if there is a 3D tuner out there? Is yours 3D capable?

We have Freeview and now this thing called Freeview Plus. It could be where 3D comes from. Not sure. Complicated Stuff. I think the tuner needs to support it. Mine are from long time ago now. Before this Plus thing.

Dogman
15th October 2015, 07:55 AM
How has the tuner been performing Dogman?

Still looking at my options. I think I've found a current chip set mainboard that will run 2 old school PCI cards. So I could use my current + the spare for a total of 4 HD streams or some combo of SD/HD.

I hear that 3D streams are TV detected. Explained to me as, if the TV is 3D capable it will see 3D content come up on the EPG. If not 3D capable then nothing. I don't have such a beast and I use the TV's as computer displays anyways and not the TV tuner. Wondering if there is a 3D tuner out there? Is yours 3D capable?

We have Freeview and now this thing called Freeview Plus. It could be where 3D comes from. Not sure. Complicated Stuff. I think the tuner needs to support it. Mine are from long time ago now. Before this Plus thing.

I have had the tuner for years, use it when the power drops, and waiting to see if I need to crank my genset or weather blocked my sat signal at home.

Now with my new tv, the dongle will see less use in my home, because weather will not be a issue, and power outages short ones at least ones less than 4 hours or so, my modified UPS power supply with the huge deep cycle battery that I can switch in when needed will do the job to keep the tv up for news and such, along with keeping my internet up.

The gen set can stay off line longer because of the noise, which I do not care for the attraction it causes. (think I have the only gen set for blocks around me, I need to work on the exhaust to quieten it )

Also in the rare times that I know I am going to be away from the internet and house overnight ,I will take my laptop and wintv dongle so I can keep up with the local news and such. With my flat antenna and laptop, I can check out the local news wherever I am when away from my home and area.

Etc!

I love it, but sadly I do not think 3D is offered here....Yet..and as far as the hvr-950q not sure if it can.

Have not used it for cable qam signals so can I not commit.

Tho I am using it to slowly digitize my vcr tape library to disk along with some of my dvd's, tho most of the dvd's are converted by programs I have.

Sounds like you are building a nice box, that will give you many choices

In my opinion Hauppauge makes the best tuners for p.c's.

Good luck with your project.

Horn
15th October 2015, 09:15 AM
Dogman is currently installing a smart smoker that will empower the AGW myth even when the lights go off.

Dogman
15th October 2015, 09:29 AM
Dogman is currently installing a smart smoker that will empower the AGW myth even when the lights go off.

Smart?

Yea using my Mark 1 Mod 0 brain, I guess my smoker can be called that when combined with what is behind my eyes and between my ears !

My smoker is a wood burning home made, made out of 1/4" steel plate and sch 40 pipe, and expanded metal. That a crazy ass to the max, born again biker friend of mine and I built back in the early 80's together, one for him and one for me. That ether can be a water smoker or straight smoker that can handle and smoke 15 drunk chickens easily or 2 good size briskets. Or with removable baffles, meat can be cooked directly over the wood coals, steaks and such. Plus cutouts in the hot zone for placing a couple of dutch ovens.

LMAO !

In a way yes, tho it took years of self training to keep cooking time, heat zones, when the coals are right, how much damping on both ends of the smoker I have now to maintain the correct temp where meat is, which is dependent on what kind and weight of meat plus how fast or slow the chosen meat needs to be cooked, fast is anything less than 8 hours and slow is up to 24 hours.

Depending on the wanted end result.

AGW myth be dammed when it comes to my eating enjoyment! ;D

BTW Horn !

Bite me !

;)

Horn
15th October 2015, 09:39 AM
In a way yes, tho it took years of self training to keep cooking time, heat zones, when the coals are right, how much damping on both ends of the smoker I have now to maintain the correct temp where meat is, which is dependent on what kind and weight of meat plus how fast or slow the chosen meat needs to be cooked, fast is anything less than 8 hours and slow is up to 24 hours.

Its very possible to be too linear and logic when cooking, resulting in bland sabor.

its best to not be soo very exacting and maybe get a young indian woman to dance naked around the firepit every once in a blood moon.

Dogman
15th October 2015, 09:41 AM
Its very possible to be too linear and logic when cooking, resulting in bland sabor.

its best to not be soo very exacting and maybe get a young Indian woman to dance naked around the firepit every once in a blood moon.

Yes ! Every time it is fired up loose guidelines are used, because every time it is slightly different, no hard set rules.

And

Yes, just let it flow and let things be what will be, with no expiations.

;D

Nice try, young indian women are getting as rare as hens teeth in these parts these days !

Lmao

Tho I can stream videos and such to my tablet and control my entertainment center when I am outside cooking on my smoker !

Does that count >?<

;)

Horn
15th October 2015, 10:04 AM
What ever happened to good T.V. dinners? Probably be $9-10 a piece nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPyIeS6SPGM

Dogman
15th October 2015, 10:07 AM
What ever happened to good T.V. dinners? Probably be $6-7 a piece nowadays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPyIeS6SPGM LMAO!

Can those even be called food these days?

Prices through the roof and portions micro sized and processed and then reprocessed beaten pulled ran over and modified.

No thank you !

Now Horn , can we please bend the thread, back more or less back to the thread topic, with tangents thrown in !

;D

Horn
15th October 2015, 10:11 AM
Dude, t.v. and dinner are like dee and dum, check his Ouija board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-6mI708yWc

Dogman
15th October 2015, 10:12 AM
Dude, t.v. and dinner are like dee and dum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-6mI708yWc

Good tune!