PDA

View Full Version : Slow cooker recipes

Hitch
10th September 2015, 05:17 PM
I've been enjoying using the slow cooker lately. It's great to throw a meal in early in the day, and enjoy the smells of a meal cooking through out the day while getting work done at home.

I think I've perfected (to my tastes) chili, and pork baby back ribs, falling off the bone good.

Tomorrow I'm going to cook bigos in the slow cooker. My first time trying to cook this meal. Bigos is Polish "hunters stew". I lived off of it traveling Poland, home cooked, at milk bar cafeterias, and inexpensive restaurants. The recipe is said to be 700 years old, and some call bigos Poland's national meal. There's all sorts of stuff in the stew, kielbasa of course, bacon, pork, cabbage, sauerkraut, onions, tomatoes...

Any favorite slow cooker meals you like? Recipes?

milehi
10th September 2015, 05:30 PM
Yesterday morning, I made a new one. I made my own red enchilada sauce (secret ingredient is a splash of Mexican Coke. Not to be confused with the white powder) and tossed in several chicken breast. The plan was for enchiladas, but they turned into chicken enchilada, home made smashed black bean n' homegrown salsa burritos stuffed with crumbled baked potato

I'm having the same tonight. Soup of the day is beer.

Dogman
10th September 2015, 05:34 PM
Slow cookers are great! Best toss things in and then forgot way of cooking that is hard to beat! That also can make some cuts of meat tender!

I do a bunch of one pot meals using mine!

Hitch get a chicken pre chunked/cutup or do it yourself! Add your favorite spices. Take a can (size depending) of mushroom soup add it. Throw in a couple of cups of dried rice (depending on size of cooker) and add a tad or cup more of water than the rice calls for!

Then forget for at least 8 hours or so!

The rice will absorb the excess water and you may need to add more depending on preference!

Have a stew with veg's that is dead easy, plus a chili that I may post abt later!

;)

Sent from my Nexus 7

Dogman
10th September 2015, 05:36 PM
Yesterday morning, I made a new one. I made my own red enchilada sauce (secret ingredient is a splash of Mexican Coke. Not to be confused with the white powder) and tossed in several chicken breast. The plan was for enchiladas, but they turned into chicken enchilada, home made smashed black bean n' homegrown salsa burritos stuffed with crumbled baked potato

I'm having the same tonight. Soup of the day is beer.

Beer sandwich or soup?

Lol

Sent from my Nexus 7

Hitch
10th September 2015, 05:41 PM
Dogman, I'm going to try that chicken and rice one, sounds delicious.

My chili recipe is pretty easy. In the frozen food section, near the frozen meat usually, you can sometimes find a white plastic tub labelled 'chili'. It has a read band on the tub. Dump that in the slow cooker. Brown 1 pound of ground beef, add it. Then cut up some tomatoes and onions to your taste, and add a couple of cans of your favorite beans. I add black and pinto beans. Slow cook for a few hours and damn that's good chili. It makes a lot of chili. I ate chili for 2 days straight, that's all I ate.

Dogman
10th September 2015, 05:47 PM

My chili recipe is pretty easy. In the frozen food section, near the frozen meat usually, you can sometimes find a white plastic tub labelled 'chili'. It has a read band on the tub. Dump that in the slow cooker. Brown 1 pound of ground beef, add it. Then cut up some tomatoes and onions to your taste, and add a couple of can's of your favorite beans. I add black and pinto beans. Slow cook for a few hours and damn that's good chili.

Size the chicken amount along with the rice to your cooker depending on your preference of meat vs rice ratio's!

I have a huge cooker that it can handle a complete bird, tho my favorites are thigh's and legs for the most meat!

Hell I normally do not brown my meat, just toss it in and be done with it!

One less pan to clean!

Grin!

Hitch just read all of your post!

Boy!

You sure need to be heducated ;). Abt making chili!

Tho the packaged stuff could be described as dieing of thirst in the desert and only having piss to drink that keeps you alive!

It will do in a pinch!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Hitch
10th September 2015, 05:50 PM
Size the chicken amount along with the rice to your cooker depending on your preference of meat vs rice ratio's!

I have a huge cooker that it can handle a complete bird, tho my favorites are thigh's and legs for the most meat!

Sent from my Nexus 7

You could probably even throw in some broccoli with that recipe, to cook with the rice.

Dogman
10th September 2015, 05:57 PM
You could probably even throw in some broccoli with that recipe, to cook with the rice.

You are only limited by your imagination!

Sent from my Nexus 7

milehi
10th September 2015, 06:05 PM

My chili recipe is pretty easy. In the frozen food section, near the frozen meat usually, you can sometimes find a white plastic tub labelled 'chili'. It has a read band on the tub. Dump that in the slow cooker. Brown 1 pound of ground beef, add it. Then cut up some tomatoes and onions to your taste, and add a couple of cans of your favorite beans. I add black and pinto beans. Slow cook for a few hours and damn that's good chili. It makes a lot of chili. I ate chili for 2 days straight, that's all I ate.

You can do better. Go to this website and check out the recipes. Find one you like and tailor it to your taste, and make it yours. I found one and tweaked it to my own, and then added orange blossom honey to it to play off the heat.

http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_WCCC_Recipes.asp?Cat=1

Hitch
10th September 2015, 06:08 PM
You can do better. Go to this website and check out the recipes. Find one you like and tailor to your taste, and make it yours.

http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/Recipe_WCCC_Recipes.asp?Cat=1

Thanks. Yeah, I probably could do better. Maybe what I've been doing is lazy man's chili. It's actually really good though, surprisingly, for how simple of a recipe.

I will man up. Work on making a real chili.

Dogman
10th September 2015, 06:56 PM
Thanks. Yeah, I probably could do better. Maybe what I've been doing is lazy man's chili. It's actually really good though, surprisingly, for how simple of a recipe.

I will man up. Work on making a real chili. My friend you have to understand chili is big here, and I could not let your post go unchallenged. Yes pre made and add beans can be ok !

I have made chili using, deer, wild pig, tame pig, goat, chicken, beef of every cut ground and shredded, tho I do like using cooked and shredded brisket.

To bean or not to bean ?

Raging debate !

I like and make both, but when using beans I usually stay with pinto or reds.

And all from scratch when it comes to the dry mixture tho I do use fresh onions by preference.

A story comes to mind of my oil patch days, the co that I worked for sent me to buffalo ny to a customer that bought one of our free water knock out tanks that were having problems with it when they turned into it. Come to find out the water was fresher with less salt so the gravity was lower. So I was sent up to install a weir plate and adjust for the gravity of the water oil interface.

Very shallow wells, young couple picked me up from the hotel and the job was done within 40 min after I was on location. I mentioned or asked about Niagara falls and how far it was. And they promptly bundled me up and off we went!

Went over the international bridge, me in a large black stetson hat with boots with a old no arms insulated vest, green if I recall!

To the Canadian side of the falls, and I took a peek at the falls and then we drank some very fine Canadian beer and had a fine old time for several hours.

Now the chili thing , during our talks the guy asked about chili, it seems up in Yankee land at the time he could not find any good chili mixes, and he and his wife had a love for 3 alarm chili mix! That they could not find anywhere!

(note: before Internet)

I told them I had them covered !

And when I got back to midland , told the boss and we bought a couple of cases of 3 alarm mix and shipped it to them.. Made them very happy campers, and bought some more equipment, along with a L.A.C.T and glycol gas dehydration unit that I flew up and setup for them..

This all happened in 1982 iir.

Hitch
10th September 2015, 07:06 PM
Teach me oh great one!!!

Seriously, I am humbled. I'd really like to master the art of Chili.

If you can make up an awesome chili. Nobody, I mean nobody can say anything to you without the proper beatdown that should follow.

Glass
10th September 2015, 07:07 PM
Soup of the day is beer.

That's my favorite.

I like chilli, we call it con carne. I like it with beans, kidney ones, I guess that means red beans. I usually use a packet of chilli flavour from the local mex food company. Just right. Then it's either chilli and rice (red beans and rice (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stGYYRtpqx8)) or tacos with some cheese, salads and tobasco. I'd be interested to try a couple of those cook off recipe's and see the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stGYYRtpqx8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stGYYRtpqx8

Dogman
10th September 2015, 07:23 PM
Teach me oh great one!!!

Seriously, I am humbled. I'd really like to master the art of Chili.

If you can make up an awesome chili. Nobody, I mean nobody can say anything to you without the proper beatdown that should follow. Nothing really to teach, now that the web has tons of info. Everyone will develope their own personal choice of what they like.

None of it can be taught, it is a learned thing by doing and trying.

Basic ingredients other than chili powder is hotly debated along with adding tomatoes and or beans!

Even adding tomatoes and or paste can get a fight going with some that do and others that do not!

Me?

I probably break all the imagined rules and it seems no two pots are the same and all are a tad different every time I make a mess/pot of the stuff.

But I will say when I do I make massive quantity's of it and usually freeze most but eat a few days every meal digging in. Then drag out the frozen stuff as wanted.

Best I can do is give you this link and let you play as you wish mixing and matching..

One thing that is a rule for me, my chili is spiced hot out of the yen yang, using the hottest peppers I can find at the time. ;)

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ingredients+for+texas+chili

palani
10th September 2015, 07:39 PM
Chili is best served in a bread basket at 9,000 feet in Alta, Utah.

http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/uploads/2014/5/2/1399036867265.jpg