PDA

View Full Version : Woks

Dogman
11th September 2015, 06:37 PM
Seeing that I rediscovered close to 80 lbs of rice that was hiding in my freezer that I posted about. I started to do a very dangerous thing.

Thinking !

;D

Been in a semi rut as far as meals go, in that most of my cooking is just to fill the belly and make it to another day then repeat!

But that rice was bothering me, some I did refreeze for bug control and all, but dam it ! I just could not stop thinking of rice and some recent posts that I made that forced me to think of the past.

Then I remembered I did have a wok that seems to got hidden or was hiding from me for many years, that I stalked and then found. It is one that I got shortly after I returned from Thailand while in the air force because I did develop a taste for Asian cooking , with Thai and combos of Thai/Chinese/Burmese/Cambodian/Laos/Vietnamese and Indian cooking.

Very good eating and the sky is the limit when it comes to food combos.

Mine was sadly neglected for more years than I really can not be sure of in that some rust on my wok developed (carbon steel hammered) that I have and will spend hours getting it back into shape and seasoned correctly. (carbonized oil and fats for a slick finish)

Woks are not just for stir fry but for sure stir fry is tops in what they can do!

There is a problem, because of their shape, they are awkward to use, for a round bottom, one needs a wok ring or modified stove top grate, (years ago I cut out the center of one of my grates, works fine of all pots and pans) that allowed the round bottom to sit over the burners.

But at least for me there is no way to store one like pots and pans can be done, other than hanging on a wall or off a ceiling.

Memory is returning as I am posting this, seems that when I got married to my one and only wife (evil woman, but I did try) did not care and even hated my wok ! (side note I still have the wok, she is history, but out of sight out of mind) My wok survived, it was up in the attic.

Anything and everything can be cooked in one, as long as meats and vegs are cut small so everything can cook evenly, tho true wok use is the bottom is hottest and the sides give temp control.

Wok cooking is eyeballs on and very fast, that demands the cooks full attention, get distracted even for a short time things will burn.

Wok care if steel is work up a good seasoning, (black) just like cast iron, never never wash it nor scrub it, unless there has been a major screwup that only scrubbing will cure , and then start over with seasoning it. (Same with cast iron)

To clean just like cast iron, (my way) is to use newspapers after cooking to wipe clean while the wok/cast iron is hot with the stove burner is still going and re-oil under high heat then a final wipe and let it cool down.

The heat will kill any micro critters and helps build up the seasoning.

Sorry to say I have no recipes ...Yet..Still in the process of getting my sadly neglected wok back into shape and ready to go.

The only downside , as stated above is their shape when it comes storing when not in use.

Thoughts?

;D

Edit: Flat bottom ones ? never used one!

Round is traditional an at least for me the only way, I have also made charcoal stoves out of coffee cans for cooking out side with my wok, tho when I learned to use one most were made out of hardened clay!

Ever seen a charcoal heated iron for ironing clothes?

Hoot !

;D

Glass
11th September 2015, 07:08 PM
like woks. I threw my last 2 out due to rusting. One was very good. Had for years. Cheap from chinese supermarket. Other one was a western copy of a wok. Too heavy and unwieldy. Never liked it.

Our gas changed here and it no longer has the intensity for woking. Which is why mine fell into disrepair as did my diet. Many dishes not being cooked any more.

Dogman
11th September 2015, 07:28 PM
like woks. I threw my last 2 out due to rusting. One was very good. Had for years. Cheap from chinese supermarket. Other one was a western copy of a wok. Too heavy and unwieldy. Never liked it.

Our gas changed here and it no longer has the intensity for woking. Which is why mine fell into disrepair as did my diet. Many dishes not being cooked any more. your gas changed?

Sounds like the difference between acetylene and mapp gas! Not sure if you call it the same where you are, seeing you guys are upside down. but the same can be said about us/me from your perspective.

;D

Where there is a will there is a way!

Yes carbon steel sadly will rust, I thank that my old wok had a great seasoning built up to protect it and is was hidden in a dry area.

Carbon steel as you probably have learned when it comes to cooking pans and such just need to be wiped out and then oiled while hot then wiped again and let them cool.

Scrubbing until they are shiny and you see the metal , is a major mistake, stainless is another story sadly, one major mistake with anything that is used to fry and or cook is going overboard with cleaning them so the are shiny, they will look good but never at their best when it comes to flavor.

Dirty.....No...!

If done right using hi heat and wipe outs and re-oiling is all that is needed. Any thing that can harm you was killed (sterilized ) during heating and again while pre heating before the next meal.

But for clean freaks, bare metal and shiny is their god.

I love my cast iron and carbon steel cooking stuff, yes it does take a tad more care than stainless , but at least for me as my feelings about carbon steel knifes vs stainless.

Carbon steel rules !

But can not be neglected as that other metal, and for me the end result as taste goes there is a difference!

I regularly cook on a old carbon steel frying pan that has been in the family for at least 100 years and more, think it was my great, great grandmothers!

Stamped steel between 1/16 or now a tad less wall thickness, outside of the pan, major black crust buildup all over. The cooking surface has a black very smooth seasoning that is non stick, that in my memory was screwed up in my time of use and had to be redone over several years of cooking.

That is still in use, and is my go to fryer because it can handle acid foods better than my cast iron one. Tho acid foods , well the are what they are ! But the steel base finish is smooth, vs my cast iron that remove the seasoning and it is semi rough, but is babys ass smooth with the seasoning.

You burning natural gas?

Or LNG, which should be the same ?

Weard that the heat changed.?

My only thought is they are diluting your gas with an inert gas, same volume but burns colder.

milehi
11th September 2015, 09:00 PM
I love my wok. It's from the sixties and I found it in my mom's kitchen while helping her move. I even found the ring. It's the hammered style. Before that I had a cheapo wok and before that, a Teflon coated wok that I sand blasted the Teflon off but it sacked for cooking. With the seasoned hammered wok, my Thai basil comes out perfect.

Dogman
14th September 2015, 10:40 AM
Whoo Wheeee!

Major smoke out !

Gots to love it !

Just finished my first round of getting my old/new wok seasoned, it is the first of many to be done until I am satisfied with the coating. Using lard to do the very smoky deed. Almost got a uniform coating maybe 70% or so but had to let the house air out ! ;D

For the unwashed !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasoning_%28cookware%29

Had to open all the windows and doors, Plus turn off the fire loop on my security system, plus removing the batterys from my smoke alarms.

Fun Fun Fun !

But worth it !

Could have done it outside on my crayfish/turkey fryer burner, but did not want to waste the propane, since natural gas is cheaper and what the hay, my stove gives me a bit more control.

Anyway that is my excuse !

This job will take several days since I am in no real hurry at this point, I do have a good start in the main heating area, now just working on the sides for this initial coating.

It will take time to really make a uniform black seasoning coating bottom to rim all around with no ripples/splotches or visible break. And achieve the baby ass uniform smoothness I am looking for!

Later today will do some fried lice ;D with eggs and some chopped up steak/tomatoes/green onion with ? to be decided! With a soy/Thai fish sauce mix with a few other spices and hot peppers combo for my meal of the day later.

The Thais made a fast dish that we called cow pot, (sounds nasty doesn't it ) that was great! Several kinds, beef, chicken, shrimp, and pork , come to mind, but not all of them. I kick my ass in a way because I used to do a fair job duplicating all of them here, but time and not writing anything down sorta pisses me off but with the net and with the fun of relearning as I go that is not a problem..All good eating I you like Asian style fried rice dishes.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=thai+cow+pot

Anyone that buys good used cast iron and carbon steel cookware and scrubs the cooking surface down to bare metal needs to be shot or shunned forever + a week if they think the black coating inside those pans is nasty, they are just showing their ignorance! Which can be cured, stupid tho can not be! Which reminds me of my X !

Hoot !

More later..

Dogman
14th September 2015, 11:23 AM
Speaking of fish sauce!

Anyone here uses it ?

We are what we eat!

When I first set foot overseas, the first thing I noticed is the people smelled different, and also have we westerners smelled different to them in Asia.

It took me a while to figure it out that it was because of the different diets people/regions have.

And I suspect fish sauce has a hand in the way most Asian people smell to us westerners. I went mostly native while in country and figured if they can eat it I can also, (was a major learning experience) with a very few exceptions. Fish sauce was part of everything I ate and in time maybe because of smell memory and we (humans) can odor adapt to the point that odors at first noticed in time are not anymore.

Anyone go to a open Asian market will know what I mean ! (Will make your nose melt and eyeballs glaze) ! That after being in country a tad I never noticed while shopping for the days food, (refrigeration was not big there, ingredients were bought daily if perishable)

But the real clue is when I came back to the states, my family at first commented that I smelt different, not in a bad way but different for a month or two. I am sure it was the diet I had while overseas.

Just a side note, and memory's finding and dragging my old wok back into my dietary use, and the dishes that I used to really like.

Going to see where I can find a Asian store in my local area, for finding spices and such.

Shami-Amourae
14th September 2015, 12:15 PM
I've cooked under some Vietnamese chefs before back in my culinary days. I lived and worked around Little Saigon in California so was exposed to a lot of it and it heavily influenced my cooking.

I use woks a ton, though my favorite style of cooking is French.

The good thing about Vietnamese cooking is they use a lot of French ingredients in their cooking, but have their own twist, which I like (they use baguettes a lot for instance.)

As for fish sauce the standard that most people use is Tiparos. Even at high end restaurants I cooked at we used that, though one of my Vietnamese chefs used this one squid based fish sauces in his "special" dishes. The flavor wasn't as neutral as Tiparos though so it couldn't be used for as much.

Another one of my Vietnamese chefs told stories about how when her parents came to visit the States (maybe 20-30 years ago,) they would bring a suitcase just for fish sauces since the fish sauces we had in America were crap. The Vietnamese and Thai people regard fish sauces like fine wine basically.

The thing with fish sauces is you pair them with different foods since they have their own characteristics. The safest bet is to just go with Tiparos though since it's the most neutral and affordable out of all of them.

If you want a higher quality one that's fairly neutral still I'd go with Red Boat, but again, the best fish sauce is the one that best pairs with the food you're making. Unless you're an expert Vietnamese/Thai chef, I wouldn't adventure into this since it's very sophisticated, even for me still, and I cook with these people for years.

Shami-Amourae
14th September 2015, 12:40 PM
I've used the same wok for like 15 years now. I got it when I was young and experimenting with food and still use it. Basically I just cook with lard in it a lot and burn the living hell out of it. It has a thick crust on the bottom.

I do a lot of wok cooking and do all my deep frying in my wok unless its like potato tacos or something, then I do it in a cast iron skillet.

Dogman
14th September 2015, 12:50 PM
I will agree with you abt store fish sauce in most stores here!

They are crap!

While in country I went native when not on the job (12 hour 7 day week) and lived off base! Was there more than one year unlike the standard 12 months! Got Fair with the language and reading it!

Learned watching my assorted telocks preparing and cooking our meals, plus watching and asking questions to other cooks when I could! Then cooking and using what I learned while still in country (Thailand, but with a very strong Laotian/Cambodia/Vietnam twist with a major overtone of Indian (depending) )

Street food with major home cooking. And regional blends, that all used fish sauce/rice as a base! One of my gal's was from Chang mi and her bent was Thai/Burmese and heavy southern china, dishes that were everyday staple's!

I imagine most of what you learned was the high end eats that 99% of normal people in county could not afford!

Soy sauce and fish sauce plus rice and Asian style cooking with my own twists is soon to be a major part of my diet after many many years again. Because it is tasty/filling/in general healthy and very affordable!

Finding a good fish sauce locally it seems will be a problem here, unless I travel 70 or so miles to a real Asian market, or amazon buy it!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Dogman
14th September 2015, 12:56 PM
I've used the same wok for like 15 years now. I got it when I was young and experimenting with food and still use it. Basically I just cook with lard in it a lot and burn the living hell out of it. It has a thick crust on the bottom.

I do a lot of wok cooking and do all my deep frying in my wok unless its like potato tacos or something, then I do it in a cast iron skillet.

Lard is my basic fat for cooking!

Depending on what I am cooking, but it is always my fall back.

Seems you do understand what I mean about seasoning, I never scrub the outside nor as stated the insides of my pans!

High heat is a very good friend in keeping everything healthy and flavorful!

And people wonder why with some dishes they can taste have metallic overtones when they scrub down to bare metal all of their frying and baking cookware?

Boiling is a different color cat because the temperatures are much lower, so metal leaching is not much of a hazard, that is why a good seasoning is so important to develop for higher temp cooking because of the carbonized barrier (seasoning) prevents that along with sticking that food will do with bare metal cooking.
(If not deep frying, which has its place with some foods, but not so healthy, ((maybe) depending on the oil used)

Wok/cast iron cooking high acid foods, can be done but it does try to remove the seasoning from the pan be it a wok or cast iron surface, the trick is to have a thick seasoning coating to began with and then later make a point to thicken up the seasoning coating on that pan/wok.

Easy pleasy, as long as one keeps on top of what is going on.

Imagen that !

Side note:

For several years now I do not use aluminum in any thing cooking because of the hazard of leaching, tho there is a set that my grandparents have used for years and both of them made it into their 80's. Not sure if it was age or the aluminum cookware, they used for years (still have the set and used it myself for years) but easy to see the pitting on the inside, were it leached into the food.

Stainless, I thought at one time, was the answer, but not not so sure anymore, because of the chromium used to make it.

Boiling probably not a problem, but at high heat, I think the chances of it leaching chrome into the food is high and that at this point of my life is not worth the worry.

If you burn a stainless steel cooking what ever pot or pan, ever notice it will rust?

The reason is the chrome has been totally burnt off, so if it can do it at extreme high heat, what happens at frying temps?

Going back to carbon steel and ignoring any aluminum or stainless stuff, tho will use stainless for boiling. The aluminum is retired forever here, and only kept around for memory tokens and reminders of past meals shared with long gone family.

Cast or carbon steel , overall methinks is more healthy in my current thinking and logic.

milehi
14th September 2015, 02:02 PM
I'm using "Lucky" brand fish sauce from Thailand, sourced from an Asian Market. I'd been using "Kimlan" dark soy sauce but lately I've been using Bragg Liquid Aminos soy sauce substitute. I have everything to make Thai Basil with chicken tonight, so that's what I'm making.

Dogman
14th September 2015, 02:18 PM
I'm using "Lucky" brand fish sauce from Thailand, sourced from an Asian Market. I'd been using "Kimlan" dark soy sauce but lately I've been using Bragg Liquid Aminos soy sauce substitute. I have everything to make Thai Basil with chicken tonight, so that's what I'm making.

Dam my memory!

But I cannot remember any English names on the sauce's just pictures one had a squid am sure was a squid sauce. When I got back and was stationed at carswell afb (sac) there was an Asian market I used that I stocked up from and then used my stock for many years!

My basic learning was based using that squid? And one or two other sauces, ? One may have been based on sardines?

?

Then as all things in life my basic life changed and took other tangent's!

If possible avoid C.R.S it does come with age or un use in time!

Tho real Thai sauce's for me are a good starting point on my future journeys using my old wok!

Note!

Around any military base stateside there will be an real Asian market!

Dammit you sure sound smug!

#$$##5-+-$#!

Grin!

Dammit !

Basil?

I used to grow most of my herbs, been using dried longer than I can remember!

You gave me another reason to cuss you! ;D

Easy pleesy for me to setup a indoor herb box inside for the winter and outside in warmer weather! Another thing I used to do but life changing left behind!

Had a true love, but my mistake not going her way that was a German/Russian that taught me on how to do!

Seeds once bought need not be bought again!

And nothing and I mean nothing beats fresh when it comes to herbs! As long as they can be grown inside or outside depending!

Which brings to mind growing my own mushrooms which I have done and is easier than most think!

But that is another thread to be made!

;D

Sent from my Nexus 7

milehi
14th September 2015, 03:33 PM
My fish sauce is anchovie based. Now I need to get to the Asian market to see what others they have. When I bought it I just grabbed one off the shelf.

I have a extensive herb garden and it does quite well for the short growing season here at 7200' I've been making a Greek salad dressing that is very tasty.

1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup Braggs ACV
1 minced garlic clove
1ts finely minced onion
1/2 ts pink sea salt
Splash of white wine
Greek oregano, spearmint, thyme, basil and rosemary all finely minced.

Dogman
14th September 2015, 03:50 PM
My fish sauce is anchovie based. Now I need to get to the Asian market to see what others they have. When I bought it I just grabbed one off the shelf.

I have a extensive herb garden and it does quite well for the short growing season here at 7200' I've been making a Greek salad dressing that is very tasty.

1 olive oil
1/2 red wine vinegar
1/2 cup Braggs ACV
1 minced garlic clove
1ts finely minced onion
1/2 ts pink sea salt
Splash of white wine
Greek oregano, spearmint, thyme, basil and rosemary all finely minced.

Anchovies !

Yes!

The sauce is the only good IMO for those bastard's, tho in fish sauce wonderful!

Forgot that one, which these days not unusual!

Herb garden's along with mushrooms can be grown year long every year. Indoors and outdoors anywhere as long as nutrition/humidity/water and temp conditions can be met!

If done right they will thrive!

24/7/365 onwards!

Ignoring =failure!

When it comes to upkeep, which is not demanding!

I need to get some starter seeds/cuttings , thinking I may have everything else?

Blasts from the past (mine) to do again! Amazing what we can forget for years just waiting for a trigger!

7000 feet?

Punk!

The correct humidity plus light from a window with correct temps work magic!

Just needs the dedication to make it so!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Glass
14th September 2015, 04:41 PM
hmm Braggs make "the" apple cider vinegar. Looked for that one down here. No luck so far getting stock. love ACV.

The Liquid Aminos is now called All Purpose Seasoning? I can find that one here.... and a small vinegar. not the gallon jug. Still, is good news.

Dogman
14th September 2015, 05:02 PM
isn't it amazing how something awakens memory's and appetites that do demand to be revisited?

Within the next hour of so I am fixing to do my first major stir fry in my barely and newly reseasoned wok.

But starting a herb indoor garden for now and out door when the season changes is and will happen within the week.

;D

Glass
14th September 2015, 05:29 PM
yes I've decided that I'll be looking for a wok tomorrow. I'll buy a camping cook top for the heat if it comes to it.

Dogman
14th September 2015, 06:52 PM
yumm.

See now I need to work up a supply of green onions/scallions and celery to add to my list of things to grow or keep handy to my need to have list... along with other veg's.

And deficiently a tad of garlic...

All fresh, most can be grown in a window still indoors, during winter.

Dam the thoughts of bell peppers are messing with my mind, along with other peppers to add to the mix!

First fry was a complete sucksess, for the first go in years! And can see and taste what was missing.

Diffidently a work in progress...!

Spices Hummmmm?

The mixes along with the tastes are endless!

Going by past experience within a few weeks, most of what I have listed can be grown indoors during winter and the rest can be had on the cheep from the local store.

;D

Glass jump right in the water is just fine !

Just got of the phone with my younger half brother RichG (other forum) and to my amazement he has never used a wok,

His loss big time,

Lots that I do not know about him, we may only talk once every several years, more or less, mostly less. He was in the af like me but after the Viet Nam thingy and stationed in Germany, but this is a thread about woks and Asian style cooking, but not limited to it.

As long as it was cooked in a wok!

In time I think my memory will kick in of some of the other things that were non Asian, and more European that I used my wok to cook in. know I did it and they turned out great because of the quick cooking, but dam it I do have some holes in my memory but they are returning to the point I really need to ether record them writing or electronically

I have done a bunch of stuff in this lifetime, mostly because I never settled down until very late in life.

That is my excuse anyway! ;D

Or what can be tasty and cooked in a wok, which can be any and everything, as long as it is chopped small enough so it can be flashed fried and cooked.

Which is what a wok does best !

Grinning !

;D

Camp Bassfish
15th September 2015, 05:18 AM
Excellent thread, great read.... thank you!

Dogman
16th September 2015, 10:40 AM
Moving on to the next stage of my reeducation, and jumping in with both feet doing thai fried rice "Khao phat " which sounds like cow pot to western ears.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_fried_rice

Using this link has reminded my of my own doings in the past.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Khao+Pad&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Khao+Pad&tbm=vid

It is a tossup between for tonights meal, was at the store and picked up some shrimp, pork and chicken, along with most of the veg's with some pepper subs mentioned in the videos (have spent years looking for thai peppers, tho once got a hold of some seeds and for years grew my own)

If you are not sweating your ass off, during and after eating these dishes,

you are not doing it right !

Also if I recall the tongue also turns bright red as it feels like it is burning off from tip to root , when using the proper peppers !

;D

All the dishes are very fast cooking!

Still need to find some of these sauces, maybe in the local big town, it does have a large Asian population. That I can ask around about finding what I need.

And also find a tree trunk chopping block, brought one back when I came home, it got lost in the shuffle over the years.

Glass
16th September 2015, 10:00 PM
I like Khao phat kai (chicken). soy n chilli sauce. ba mee goreng ayam. sambal. ice cold beer.

bought a wok. $18

Glass
19th September 2015, 07:15 PM
This apparently is an E-wok.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/content/dam/images/g/j/q/g/t/s/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.gjqhri.png/1442712961460.jpg

Dogman
19th September 2015, 07:29 PM
This apparently is an E-wok.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/content/dam/images/g/j/q/g/t/s/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.gjqhri.png/1442712961460.jpg Works for me, tho at my age and assumed hers, I wold die in the saddle, but dam it what a way to go!

Imho, being a man I can not think of anything better than dieing in the saddle, or defending what I believe in on the battle field.

But dieing in the saddle , ? what a way to check out of this life and see if there is a other side, think there is !

Tho the gal that owns that saddle may not think so at the time!

But she dam sure can clam bragging rights, 'I screwed him to death" or such after she gets over being freaked out !

Eventually!

Dam I wish I was a few years younger, knowing what I know now........Grin

;D

Speaking of woks..

It finally came back to me abt cast iron and carbon steel.

Heat them with oil and spread the oil/fat as it heats up, to the point it is smoking like crazy and just at the point where flash over combustion of the fumes occurs. At that time the oil/fat is carbonizing and bonding to the cooking surface which produces the black non stick cooking surface.

Got re clued in tonight, removing scratches from my wok using a traditional metal spatula that left marks, I do mean smoke it to the point that the oil fumes want to almost self combust. That is when the real carbonization happens ! my cast iron is seasoned but it took time to get the black finish, just for a grin tomorrow I am going to do the same very high heat treatment to them and see what happens.

There is a temp where the oil carbonizes and bonds with the steel, or I think links up with the carbon in the steel that exists.

Tho never try this with stainless, the chromium in it will not stand it, in my current way of thinking. Tho carbon steel will, that kind of steel welcomes more carbon, case harding is a good example.

Dam that ewok does look tasty and looks like she needs to be used and abused as she directs it to be done !

Grin..

;D

milehi
19th September 2015, 07:37 PM
"But she dam sure can clam bragging rights,"

Ha Ha!

Dogman
19th September 2015, 07:47 PM
"But she dam sure can clam bragging rights,"

Ha Ha! Am I right or wrong?

What better way to check out from this world,

We entered it by woman, so why not check out trying to get back into or being in a woman ?

Hooting my ass off !

;D

We came from the womb and we men strive for most of our lives trying to get back into one and for most healthy males the desire to do so is not very far if not the top of his daily to do list!

Women control at least 1/2 half of the wealth in general but all of the Pussy!

Fact jack!

;D

Dogman
19th September 2015, 08:41 PM
Relearned !

Woks are perfect and made for popcorn!

Along with traditional uses !

At least the round ones, oil collects in the bottom because the curved sides, corn does the same because of the weight of the kernels plus that is where the heat is concentrated.

;D

Glass
20th September 2015, 12:16 AM
The Cat is both terrified and fascinated at the popcorn machine. Where does it all come from and will it ever end? I'll give the wok a try, see if any go shooting out. could make for some fun.

Dogman
20th September 2015, 04:37 AM
The Cat is both terrified and fascinated at the popcorn machine. Where does it all come from and will it ever end? I'll give the wok a try, see if any go shooting out. could make for some fun. I used a round frying pan splash screen, without some kind of lid the corn will fly out.

Had a cat that like yours that would do the same, it was a hoot to watch him, watching the popcorn popping!

Dogman
25th September 2015, 01:51 PM
Sorta off the wall but I was experimenting and dam it , tastes wonderful !

Fried rice balls, styles and tastes are many !

I got to thinking (dangerous thing) about fried rice the other day and had a memory of fried rice balls, ether stuffed or a rice/meat/veg/spice mixture.

Or what ever in the hell mix one wants to make, the possibility's are almost endless !

plus thinking how to stretch my meat supply's and using the meat I recovered from my solid ice cube freezer.

Cooked 2 cups of rice first.

Takes large pot, the two cups of cooked rice took almost 1/2 or a tad more of that pot if fluffed.

Then because of having an old packet of bear creek veg beef soup mix I mixed it into the cooked rice and then added water to mix and cover the lot, plus a few cups more (the pasta in the mix and the rice will suck up the water and thicken) and about a dozen chili piquin peppers for a tad of zest. (have a huge supply of both dried and green round ones preserved in vinegar)

Then I took a sirloin steak, (looks like round steak, that I bought from the meat packer) no bone steak and chopped abt 1/4 of it into small slices and bits and some bits I pounded the hell out of them with a tenderizing mallet and threw it into the mix and cooked checking and stirring to keep things from sticking and all free water was gone.

Ended up with a very large pot of a rice/veg/pasta spice combo with meat chunks mess ( ;D )

That I let cool in the frig over night so it set up into a sorta gel.

Today I took out enough for a meal or two and divided that and then let it warm to room temp covered!

Then used a ice cream scoop to scoop out balls of the combo rice mixture

That I added a chili piquin pepper or two into each ball, and then fried the balls in my wok until the they started to get a light brown crust and the insides could steam.

Then took some day old bread that I cubed and let sorta dry and fried them and sprinkled with garlic powder as a side crunchy.

Wonderful as a meal in them selfs or just added to a meal.

May freeze some of it, because I can dam eat for a week or a tad more ,using what is in that pot, since I really only eat maybe one meal a day and often skip a day between sometimes just because I can.

Dogman
25th September 2015, 06:27 PM
The next time I cook this for a grin.

I will set out some bread over night so it can dry completely and then crush it then mix in some garlic powder and roll the rice ball mix in the crushed bread to coat before semi deep frying.

Then with maybe a couple of sides or not, another meal done !

;D