PDA

View Full Version : Toxic Sites

palani
28th December 2015, 06:20 AM
Neat. Map allows you to put in your location and will show recognized toxic chemical dumps near you. Just hover over a red dot and when a window with the name pops up left click the name and open it in a new tab on your browser.

These are only the ones that they know about. But before I moved to a new area I think I would want to check here first.

http://www.toxicsites.us/#

palani
28th December 2015, 06:24 AM
Notice how lit up the east coast and California are?

Gravy and roux made at the finest restaurants in these areas take on a character that is impossible to duplicate.

Horn
28th December 2015, 07:11 AM
I used to romp thru woodland route 72 dump as a teenager in N.J., the turquoise glow in the dark glass was always a favorite.

the flavor isn't all that bad once you've become adjusted.

Woodland Route 72 Dump

RTE 72, ON SOOEY ROAD
The Woodland Route 72 Dump site is a 12-acre industrial dump located along Route 72, just two miles away from an almost identical site on Route 532. Both are on the National Priorities List. From the early 1950s to the mid-1960s, various wastes were brought to this uncontrolled disposal site in 55-gallon drums and in bulk transport. Records indicated that the wastes were dumped into open pits and trenches, and then burned; however, investigations revealed that substantial amounts of these wastes were also buried. In addition to numerous chemical contaminants in soil and water, some areas of the site exhibited gamma radiation exposure levels at greater than the EPA-recommended action level. Active commercial cranberry bogs lie 1/2 mile northwest of the site. The area is sparsely populated: approximately 900 people live within a 4-mile radius of the site, and only one private residence is located within a 3-mile radius. Land use in the area is limited to cranberry and blueberry cultivation, and harvesting of cedar and pine for wood products. Residents rely on ground water for drinking, household use, and irrigation. The closest well is 1 1/2 miles from the dump, and there is no evidence of well contamination. The site is located within the Pinelands National Reserve, which was created by the National Parks and Recreation Act of 1978. Pope Branch, an intermittent stream, is located approximately 500 feet north and 1,000 feet west of the site. Wetlands are located approximately 1/4 mile southwest of the site. Site Responsibility: This site is being addressed through Federal, State, and potentially responsible party actions.

palani
28th December 2015, 07:16 AM
I used to romp thru woodland route 72 dump as a teenager in N.J....
the flavor isn't all that bad once you've become adjusted.

My favorite is the cranberry dump in Wisconsin. Seems a while back (the 70's if I recall) cranberries weren't selling really well or the market was overproduced so the cranberry farmers were selling their product to the feds to keep the price up. They hauled them into a dump site. Feds being feds, they were concerned that cranberry farmers would sneak back in after hours to pick up the discarded cranberries and the feds would have to pay for them multiple times. As a preventative they dumped diesel fuel over the cranberry pile.

palani
28th December 2015, 07:25 AM
One that is local that did not make it to superfund status ... a local grain elevator buys toxic (moldy) corn and soybeans. Seems farmers have to store their grain until the quality deteriorates sufficiently that they must move it (a case where standards are lower rather than higher). This guy does provide a service because if you store grain on the farm it can go out of condition and then the buyers for it become limited. More can be discussed about the commercial nature of farming elsewhere.

Anyway there was a poor farmer in Oklahoma who harvested his corn wet, piled it up and then went bankrupt (easy to see why with practices like this). The federal government sold the moldy corn to this local elevator and they trucked it from Oklahoma to Iowa (just think what THIS cost). Iowa decided this stuff was so bad they didn't want him mixing it and selling it. They asked his plan to dispose of it and he told them he was going to spread it on 40 acres and plow it down. Since the possibility of ground water contamination was high they told him he couldn't do this. Iowa picked up the cost of shipping the pile to Wisconsin where it was incinerated. This is the first and only instance of an agricultural crop being classified TOXIC.

We thought the local elevator wouldn't survive. Iowa did try to stick him with million(s) in expenses but I don't think they collected a red cent. And he is still doing business.

Horn
28th December 2015, 07:26 AM
A little diesel fuel in some bog goes a long way.

based on the investigation in my teens, they were apparently aware of the toxic nature and tried to mix then encase them in glass that was crushed into barrels. Whatever works on the fly, i guess?

mick silver
28th December 2015, 08:26 AM
north Dakota maybe the last place left without a toxic site

palani
28th December 2015, 09:07 AM
north Dakota maybe the last place left without a toxic site

Never fear. They have them. Most likely they just haven't been uncovered yet.

gunDriller
28th December 2015, 11:56 AM
Notice how lit up the east coast and California are?

Gravy and roux made at the finest restaurants in these areas take on a character that is impossible to duplicate.

Does it affect the terpenes in the Medical Cannabis aka Pot ? :)

Guess I have to look at the map.

Actually SUPER FvCKIN USEFUL if you're looking at real estate and have to come up on an area fast. Don't want to put your hard-earned Silver Dollars into something too close to a toxic waste dump.

I'm waiting for some honest news coverage that makes me people think about Fukushima vs. California real estate.

e.g. some child born in Ocean Beach SF, born with inexplicable radiation birth defects.

Something that helps people think - their Ocean is Sick. The combination of Fukushima and Big Plastic Hairball in the Pacific is not contributing to the wellness of the local inhabitants.

I don't mind buying ocean front property but I want it recognized as what it is - looking out over a toxic poisoned ocean.