PDA

View Full Version : What are your new years resolutions? If any...

ximmy
30th December 2015, 11:02 AM
I have been working on NOT being so standoffish with strangers and mild acquaintances. I want to be nicer, but still firm.
(I do this because I like spending time on my own projects and don't want too many friends hanging around)

I want to be bold enough to tell the stranger he/she stinks and should clean themselves better so others won't reject them so much.
(I am fed up with people being nice and accepting of vulgar and offensive things they see in other people, we need to actively help each other be better)

I want to buy fewer shoes, I buy too many, and some I know I will never wear.
(sometimes I buy the same shoe in 3 different colors)

More of this is 2016

Jewboo
30th December 2015, 12:01 PM
I want to buy fewer shoes, I buy too many, and some I know I will never wear.

http://40.media.tumblr.com/694aad4b3b87e55cd9bbec40a61e5bef/tumblr_nrr3n1fK5q1u6mmqfo1_1280.jpg

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/19419/18649324_1.jpg?v=8D0E5566B0BE610

You also buy some really good precious metals Ximmy.

:)

Horn
30th December 2015, 01:03 PM
I was going to setup a recognition of jewish privilege event, but then second guess if they'd allow a non-denominational freelancer type to do it.

My new year's resolution is to quit second guessing myself, except when its necessary, I guess.

madfranks
30th December 2015, 01:33 PM
My new year's resolution is to read the whole Bible. I've read it once before front-to-back but I was a teenager, so I feel it's time to do another thorough read through and study.

palani
30th December 2015, 03:13 PM
I thought I would be nicer to mental incompetents .. and 7th_trump.

Spectrism
30th December 2015, 03:17 PM
I think I will stop being nice to people.

mick silver
30th December 2015, 03:24 PM
try and stay out of big shitty city's more and party with cute women more

Cebu_4_2
30th December 2015, 07:28 PM
fucking stop buying beer, make my own moonshine. Take half my kids production so I can have anough to smoke a year. If things go good maybe a couple more new kids.

Not sure what after protecting them... It's New Years!

milehi
30th December 2015, 09:23 PM
Fuck off, more than I already do.Everyone's so Damn serious everywhere I go. No one knows how to relax and breathe.

Hitch
30th December 2015, 09:40 PM
I'm going to try out that master cleanse detox lemon diet, come day 1 of the new year. See how many days I can go before I snap and end up like Horn. My new year's pre-resolution is to drink and eat as much as possible before hand. :)

Cebu_4_2
30th December 2015, 11:29 PM
I'm going to try out that master cleanse detox lemon diet, come day 1 of the new year. See how many days I can go before I snap and end up like Horn. My new year's pre-resolution is to drink and eat as much as possible before hand. :)

Detox kick your ass Pete!

Hitch
30th December 2015, 11:47 PM
Detox kick your ass Pete!

How hard can it be? Really, all you do is drink lemons with maple syrup, maybe some tea. I have gone well over a day without eating, no problem. I can handle this.

Neuro
31st December 2015, 03:33 AM
I thought I would be nicer to mental incompetents .. and 7th_trump.
Separating the two is your first step in being nicer? To both?

Neuro
31st December 2015, 03:39 AM
I think I will stop being nice to people.
I have been gradually transiting from being nice since ca 1986. My 2016 resolution is for me to celebrate my 48th birthday.

palani
31st December 2015, 05:10 AM
I have gone well over a day without eating, no problem.
I just completed a 7 day detox with nothing eaten and just around a pint of fruit juice a day. Biggest problem was getting the digestive system back on solid food again when the detox was over. I plan on repeating the detox in several weeks.

EE_
31st December 2015, 06:45 AM
What if you thought this was our last year in a world as we knew it? What if you thought our world would be drastically different before the end of 2016? It could be WWIII, climate collapse, a global disaster (volcano, earthquake etc.) a major terrorist attack, or economic collapse...or all at the same time.
What would your new years resolution be then?

Ponce
31st December 2015, 06:53 AM
Mine?.... to stay alive a little bit longer to be able to see TEOTWAWNI.....otherwise.....why stay alive?

Went to VA yesterday to check and see if being disoriented body had anything to do with my ears.....well, it does and is permanent, there is no magic cure for it.....but....got a couple of shots in my arms and now it feels wonderfull.....but.....now throwing up every night because of my stomack acid, and then I can sleep.....and.........HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone.

V

monty
31st December 2015, 07:22 AM
HAPPY NEW YEAR PONCE, getting old ain't all its cracked up to be. Happy New Year to all.

Neuro
31st December 2015, 07:25 AM
What if you thought this was our last year in a world as we knew it? What if you thought our world would be drastically different before the end of 2016? It could be WWIII, climate collapse, a global disaster (volcano, earthquake etc.) a major terrorist attack, or economic collapse...or all at the same time.

Same to stay alive until my 48th

palani
31st December 2015, 07:30 AM
Separating the two is your first step in being nicer? To both?

Fair notice. Your clue that I don't consider you to be mentally incompetent is if I am NOT nice.

Neuro
31st December 2015, 07:42 AM
Fair notice. Your clue that I don't consider you to be mentally incompetent is if I am NOT nice.

2016 will tell. If I don't respond in kind , the reason may be the failure of my resolution.

1970 silver art
31st December 2015, 08:07 AM
My main new years resolution is to just continue to be happy by living my life on my own terms as much as possible. My specific new years resolutions are to 1.) Collect more '70's silver art bars that are on my wish list, 2.) Continue to obtain more free bitcoin from the bitcoin faucets, 3.) Continue to collect the ATB 5-oz silver pucks and 4.) To write an article for the silver art bar newsletter. Hopefully I can achieve that in 2016.

Horn
31st December 2015, 09:34 AM

I wouldn't second guess myself, or save to compete with Artbar over 70's silver memorabilia. :)

Ponce
31st December 2015, 09:36 AM
SILVERRRRRRRRRRR.......stop bragging, I lost three rolls......but........am still THE KING. I can hope that your return only means a increase in the price of our "favorite" child hahahhahaahha.

V

1970 silver art
31st December 2015, 10:02 AM
SILVERRRRRRRRRRR.......stop bragging, I lost three rolls......but........am still THE KING. I can hope that your return only means a increase in the price of our "favorite" child hahahhahaahha.

V

Hahaha!!!! Hey Ponce, Bragging rights are money and have been for 4 years now. However, I have some bad news for you. My gut feeling is still calling for more downside for silver. My gut feeling is saying that silver will go down to $8 on or before March 2017. As a matter of fact, this particular gut feeling that I have on silver is stronger now than it was a year ago.

Dogman
31st December 2015, 10:07 AM
Sorta agree, Art..

Many holding are underwater big time in some cases, so they have to hold until at least they MAY eventually get their money out of it. But for the ones that bought under 10 or so $ are still holding good.

But also, seeing new production is where it is or not, holding over the very long term will probably be a good thing.

Have to say you did "Skin" and then mount Ponce on your fire place mantel, the last time you two guys made any bets.

;D

EE_
31st December 2015, 11:25 AM
No resolutions. Traditions before and on New Years day...

Before Jan.1st

Bills paid
Vehicles gassed up
Fridge and pantry stocked
house cleaned

On NYD

No chicken, or eggs on new years eve and day.
Pork roast, sauerkraut, black eyed peas for dinner

mick silver
31st December 2015, 12:43 PM
if silver go to 8 it still will cost 20 bucks to buy so there no silver lining
Hahaha!!!! Hey Ponce, Bragging rights are money and have been for 4 years now. However, I have some bad news for you. My gut feeling is still calling for more downside for silver. My gut feeling is saying that silver will go down to $8 on or before March 2017. As a matter of fact, this particular gut feeling that I have on silver is stronger now than it was a year ago.

1970 silver art
31st December 2015, 12:54 PM
if silver go to 8 it still will cost 20 bucks to buy so there no silver lining

That is a good point mick. I remember in 2008 when spot was in the $9-$10 range, it cost me $14-$15 to get a '70's silver art bar from a lcs and that was if they had any which was not very often in that time when silver was hard to get overall in whatever shape or form. When spot goes down to $8, then it could very well be the case where we go back to paying 2008-like premiums. We will have to see once we get to and stay at those levels.

Hitch
31st December 2015, 03:49 PM
Should I go back to the store and give them the right price?

I bought this, 32 oz maple syrup, at the store today for my new year's resolution. It wasn't marked, so the check out guy sold it to me for $3. I looked online, and it's priced at $32. Who knew it was that expensive.

Think I should go back and give them $30?

http://www.amazon.com/Shady-Maple-Farms-Organic-Syrup/dp/B000LKXNG2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Dogman
31st December 2015, 03:55 PM

I bought this, 32 oz maple syrup, at the store today for my new year's resolution. It wasn't marked, so the check out guy sold it to me for $3. I looked online, and it's priced at $32. Who knew it was that expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Shady-Maple-Farms-Organic-Syrup/dp/B000LKXNG2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Humm?

Split the difference?

Let your counsences decide!

Tho counsences is becoming a rare thing these days, if one believes this forum!

Also a tad early , her birthday is on the first tho she celebrates it tomorrow!

Happy Birthday Zap !

;D

Sent from my Nexus 7

Dogman
31st December 2015, 05:21 PM
To the op.

My resolution is to try and make it another year, seeing my body is having major disagreements with my mind..

Which does add up into interesting viewpoints.. ;D

Twisted Titan
31st December 2015, 05:31 PM
Get my Spritual House in order by being more about My Father's business.

Break more fiancial chains of debt off my neck (I paid off a small cc and retired 2 small bills, I pay for whatever as I go along now)

Gonna get better for those who are prepared in the 16.
D

Jewboo
1st January 2016, 10:36 AM

http://drbevmentalhealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/questionsBubble.jpg
I'm 43 Years Old and don't know what to do

:rolleyes: why do you post this retarded shit on a public forum?

madfranks
1st January 2016, 11:30 AM
I'm 43 Years Old and don't know what to do

:rolleyes: why do you post this retarded shit on a public forum?

Because friends ask friends for advice, no matter what age. Unless it's a mom and pop shop where the missing $30 would be a hit, don't worry about it.

ShortJohnSilver
1st January 2016, 11:47 AM
I should be dropping a bunch of debt by the end of the year.

Jewboo
1st January 2016, 11:52 AM
Because friends ask friends for advice, no matter what age.

http://www.ministerofhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/homer_simpson_angels_and_demons-11209.jpg
43 Year Old Man doesn't know Right from Wrong?

http://inventorspot.com/files/images/5stepsFinalWarning.preview.jpg

http://cdn.grid.fotosearch.com/CSP/CSP994/k16180612.jpg

:rolleyes: 43 Year Old ex-cop grown Man? Really?

Hitch
1st January 2016, 12:34 PM
Book, you are pathetic. Quite crying and complaining, if you don't like my posts, feel free to put me on ignore. You can't even get my age right, lol.

You need to retake the trolling 101 course. Start from the beginning again.

Hitch
1st January 2016, 12:36 PM
Because friends ask friends for advice, no matter what age. Unless it's a mom and pop shop where the missing $30 would be a hit, don't worry about it.

Proud to call you a friend, it wasn't a mom and pop shop. Maybe it's Karma, because now that I think about it, that chain has overcharged me in the past. I'm not going to worry about it, thanks.

mick silver
1st January 2016, 12:45 PM
http://cdn2.img.sputniknews.com/images/103257/02/1032570233.jpg

Neuro
1st January 2016, 01:36 PM
Proud to call you a friend, it wasn't a mom and pop shop. Maybe it's Karma, because now that I think about it, that chain has overcharged me in the past. I'm not going to worry about it, thanks.

And you went back there?

Jewboo
1st January 2016, 02:31 PM
It wasn't marked, so the check out guy sold it to me for $3. I looked online, and it's priced at $32.

Maybe it's Karma...I'm not going to worry about it, thanks.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hVoMCN7rIBs/U9awxXvY4SI/AAAAAAABj9o/N_Q4c52G2jA/s1600/AAAAAA1385779913511.gif
Karma...Ha Ha

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu330/cthulhu19887/smileys/000203B0.gif
Yes totally kosher...according to the Talmud

Hitch
1st January 2016, 02:46 PM
Hey Book, I thought of a unique New Years resolution for you. It's a simple one, try to be nice to others, even for one day. Who knows, you might actually like it and find yourself being a happier person.

Neuro
1st January 2016, 02:51 PM
Hey Book, I thought of a unique New Years resolution for you. It's a simple one, try to be nice to others, even for one day. Who knows, you might actually like it and find yourself being a happier person.

Yes Book it is more important you are nice, than being honest!

Shami-Amourae
1st January 2016, 02:56 PM

The road to Hell is paid with good intentions. Our society is full of too many pathologically altruistic people, and it is what has allowed our society and civilization to get to such a sorry state.

Sometimes you have to be an asshole for the betterment of society. As a people we are too coddled, and it has caused us to become dumbed down, complacent, and manipulatable by people the people in power who aren't nice, but make sure we all are "nice" with their campaign to make us believe Racism, Hatred, and Anger are non-human, Evil emotions to have.

Some of us have to look like the bad guys to point out the injustices, wrongs, and absurdities in our society. Do you really think we want this burden? It's the curse of being intelligent.

Jewboo
1st January 2016, 02:57 PM
Hey Book, I thought of a unique New Years resolution for you. It's a simple one, try to be nice to others, even for one day.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2012/april/shoplifter_041712/image/shoplifter-on-surveillance-camera

Sez da ex-cop who just stole $30 from his local grocery store.

:rolleyes:

Cebu_4_2
1st January 2016, 03:05 PM
https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2012/april/shoplifter_041712/image/shoplifter-on-surveillance-camera

Sez da guy who just stole $30 from his local grocery store.

That's not Pete.

Shami-Amourae
1st January 2016, 03:08 PM
Be Nice (Go back to sleep) || Be Mean (Fight for what's right)
http://www.hometalkies.com/lucia/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/red_pill_blue_pill-copy3.jpg

Neuro
1st January 2016, 03:16 PM

Sez da guy who just stole $30 from his local grocery store.

It's alright, no problem, he had shopped there before and knew that they overcharged him, several times.

Hitch
1st January 2016, 03:28 PM
It's alright, no problem, he had shopped there before and knew that they overcharged him, several times.

He has a hard time understanding, either that or he has selective reading. They sold me it for $3. Nothing was stolen. We both didn't know what it was priced at. It was a mistake in my favor. In the past, they made mistakes not in my favor. I figure things are even now.

Hitch
1st January 2016, 03:29 PM
Sometimes you have to be an asshole for the betterment of society. As a people we are too coddled, and it has caused us to become dumbed down, complacent, and manipulatable by people the people in power who aren't nice,

You sound exactly the same as the Black Lives Matter movement, when they protest in cafes being 'assholes' to the people eating there.

Cebu_4_2
1st January 2016, 03:33 PM
He has a hard time understanding, either that or he has selective reading. They sold me it for $3. Nothing was stolen. We both didn't know what it was priced at. It was a mistake in my favor. In the past, they made mistakes not in my favor. I figure things are even now.

Almost every time I go to a store stuff doesn't ring up right. I have a very very good short term memory and can call out every item rung up wrong. There are a couple occasions in a year it goes to my advantage and I will not mention it. Just because I might have missed a few while stacking items on the counter and not watching te register. None are mom n pop stores either, they seem very good on both sides.

Shami-Amourae
1st January 2016, 03:35 PM
You sound exactly the same as the Black Lives Matter movement, when they protest in cafes being 'assholes' to the people eating there.
You have it backwards though. The BLM people think they are doing something good and fighting for poor Black people being oppressed by Evil White people. In truth it's wealthy Jews like George Soros funding them to use him as his little Marxist army. It makes Black people look like shit, and stirs up racial tensions which is a way to oppress both Whites and Blacks more.

Let me put it this way. Lets say you have a Black Lives Matter group and a White nationalist group protesting in the same area. Who will the media demonize and call mean Evil racists?

Black Lives Matter exists since White people are so nice to Black people. We give them our wealth, our technology, our women, our civilization, and so on. They contribute nothing to us. It's a parasitic relationship where the Blacks are enabled by nice White people to do these things. If Whites started lynching these people and the government stopped taking their sides, they'd suddenly stop being assholes. Back when White people were openly racist Blacks were much better behaved, had solid family structures, and were improving their people economically, and socially. It was because White people decided to be nice and treat them equally they reverted to primitive apes.

Racism benefits all races, except Jews. That's why Jews invented the idea (and word) that racism is wrong. It forces peoples who are totally different to forcibly live together. This only causes chaos and conflict, and the mayhem is profitable to the Merchant.

Hitch
1st January 2016, 03:42 PM
Almost every time I go to a store stuff doesn't ring up right. I have a very very good short term memory and can call out every item rung up wrong.

That to me is impressive. I always feel a bit at their mercy at the grocery store. The checkout folks are very quick, everything's a beep, plus you have two prices on products, the full price, and the club card discount price. Most of the errors I find out later looking at the receipt. They charged me full price, instead of the discount.

We have a store out here Trader Joe's, that just has one price, for everyone. It's easier to shop there.

Hitch
1st January 2016, 03:45 PM
You have it backwards though. The BLM people think they are doing something good and fighting for poor Black people being oppressed by Evil White people. In truth it's wealthy Jews like George Soros funding them to use him as his little Marxist army. It makes Black people look like shit, and stirs up racial tensions which is a way to oppress both Whites and Blacks more.

Let me put it this way. Lets say you have a Black Lives Matter group and a White nationalist group protesting in the same area. Who will the media demonize and call mean Evil racists?

Black Lives Matter exists since White people are so nice to Black people. We give them our wealth, our technology, our women, our civilization, and so on. They contribute nothing to us. It's a parasitic relationship where the Blacks are enabled by nice White people to do these things. If Whites started lynching these people and the government stopped taking their sides, they'd suddenly stop being assholes. Back when White people were openly racist Blacks were much better behaved, had solid family structures, and were improving their people economically, and socially. It was because White people decided to be nice and treat them equally they reverted to primitive apes.

Racism benefits all races, except Jews. That's why Jews invented the idea (and word) that racism is wrong. It forces peoples who are totally different to forcibly live together. This only causes chaos and conflict, and the mayhem is profitable to the Merchant.

The difference is truth. I agree with a lot that you post. My point was, that you can be an asshole, if you are actually correct about something. Book called me a thief, which is false AND being an asshole. That's just not nice. That's why I suggested to him a New Years resolution. The post you commented on.

I don't care what anyone posts towards me. Just be right. Don't lie, and have a bit of honor to state the truth.

Cebu_4_2
1st January 2016, 04:02 PM
That to me is impressive. I always feel a bit at their mercy at the grocery store. The checkout folks are very quick, everything's a beep, plus you have two prices on products, the full price, and the club card discount price. Most of the errors I find out later looking at the receipt. They charged me full price, instead of the discount.

We have a store out here Trader Joe's, that just has one price, for everyone. It's easier to shop there.

Short term I have a photographic memory, kinda like flash cards. All I need to see is the item and the register screen, don't matter how fast they ring it up. Cashiers hate it probably cause they need a superviser to confirm my claim. Local big chain grocery i recently went to I called out 6 items out of about 30 and the supervisor just waited until I was completely checked out. I don't give a shit about the people in line because I am proving a point... that if you can remember you wont get ripped off.

steyr_m
1st January 2016, 04:14 PM
Mine?.... to stay alive a little bit longer to be able to see TEOTWAWNI.....otherwise.....why stay alive?

Same here, if there's two things I want to see in my life -- the end of the US empire and the end of Israel.

I'm not looking forward to going to the gym tomorrow. It's going to be packed...

palani
1st January 2016, 04:44 PM
It's going to be packed...

If that is the case why not just go for the Jewish workout?

Jewboo
1st January 2016, 04:53 PM
It was a mistake in my favor.

According to the Talmud Jews must return the lost items of other Jews, but they may keep the lost items they find of “heathens”, unless they think the non-Jew will find out about the theft. In a commercial transaction, if a Gentile makes a mistake in a Jew’s favor (for example, if the Gentile undercharges the Jew), the money does not have to be returned. Some commentators say that a Gentile may be actively and intentionally misled and deceived during a commercial transaction by disguising the low quality of goods. There are even provisions for directly stealing from Gentiles, the perverse thinking behind this is that a Jew would give the objects for free while the Gentile would ask for payment, so it is ok to steal it from the Gentile.

:rolleyes: Hitch's Morality

Jewboo
1st January 2016, 05:18 PM
I don't care what anyone posts towards me. Just be right. Don't lie, and have a bit of honor to state the truth.

You just stole $30 from your local grocery store.

:rolleyes: "former" police officer...why no longer on the Force?

Hitch
1st January 2016, 05:22 PM
[SIZE=3]You just stole $30 from your local grocery store.

You are a liar. I did not steal anything. You piece of fucking shit. If you said that to my face I stuff your ass in the dirt.

I'm done with this forum. If lying bastards like Book here are residents. I don't belong posting here anymore.

govcheetos
1st January 2016, 05:58 PM
Happy New Year!

Jewboo
1st January 2016, 06:25 PM
You piece of fucking shit.

madfranks
1st January 2016, 06:26 PM
Black Lives Matter exists since White people are so nice to Black people. We give them our wealth, our technology, our women, our civilization, and so on. They contribute nothing to us. It's a parasitic relationship where the Blacks are enabled by nice White people to do these things. If Whites started lynching these people and the government stopped taking their sides, they'd suddenly stop being assholes.

Post of the year, and it's only Jan 1st!!

madfranks
1st January 2016, 06:27 PM
You are a liar. I did not steal anything. You piece of fucking shit. If you said that to my face I stuff your ass in the dirt.

I'm done with this forum. If lying bastards like Book here are residents. I don't belong posting here anymore.

Damn it Pete, you're giving him exactly what he wants. Just ignore him, you'll be happier.

govcheetos
1st January 2016, 06:50 PM
Damn it Jewboo, you're giving him exactly what he wants. Just ignore him, you'll be happier.

steyr_m
1st January 2016, 07:00 PM
If that is the case why not just go for the Jewish workout?

...and that is?

steyr_m
1st January 2016, 07:04 PM

vacuum
1st January 2016, 07:36 PM
While we're talking about new year's resolutions (if we are still talking about them), here's a great article I found on the web:

Screw motivation, what you need is discipline.

by Zbyhnev (http://www.wisdomination.com/author/zbyhnev/) | posted in: How to fix the world (http://www.wisdomination.com/category/how-to-fix-the-world/), How to human (http://www.wisdomination.com/category/how-to-human/), Health (http://www.wisdomination.com/category/health/), Entrepreneurship (http://www.wisdomination.com/category/entrepreneurship/)

If you want to get anything done, there are two basic ways to get yourself to do it.

The first, more popular and devastatingly wrong option is to try to motivate yourself.

The second, somewhat unpopular and entirely correct choice is to cultivate discipline.

This is one of these situations where adopting a different perspective immediately results in superior outcomes. Few uses of the term “paradigm shift” are actually legitimate, but this one is. It’s a lightbulb moment.

What’s the difference?

Motivation, broadly speaking, operates on the erroneous assumption that a particular mental or emotional state is necessary to complete a task.

That’s completely the wrong way around.

Discipline, by contrast, separates outwards functioning from moods and feelings and thereby ironically circumvents the problem by consistently improving them.

The implications are huge.

Successful completion of tasks brings about the inner states that chronic procrastinators think they need to initiate tasks in the first place.

Put in simpler form, you don’t wait until you’re in olympic form to start training. You train to get into olympic form.

If action is conditional on feelings, waiting for the right mood becomes a particularly insidious form of procrastination. I know that too well, and wish somebody pointed it out for me twenty, fifteen or ten years ago before I learned the difference the hard way.

If you wait until you feel like doing stuff, you’re fucked . That’s precisely how the dreaded procrastinatory loops come about.

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/posts/2014/08/Screen_Shot_2014_08_26_at_3.40.03_PM/e467ccab2.png

Source of picture

(http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/08/the-procrastination-loop-and-how-to-break-it/379142/)

At its core, chasing motivation is insistence on the infantile fantasy that we should only be doing things we feel like doing. The problem is then framed thus: “How do I get myself to feel like doing what I have rationally decided to do?”. Bad.

The proper question is “How do I make my feelings inconsequential and do the things I consciously want to do without being a little bitch about it?”.

The point is to cut the link between feelings and actions, and do it anyway. You get to feel good and buzzed and energetic and eager afterwards.

Motivation has is the wrong way around. I am utterly 100% convinced that this faulty frame is the main driver of the “sitting about in underwear playing Xbox, and with yourself” epidemic currently sweeping developed countries.

There are psychological problems with relying on motivation as well.

Because real life in the real world occasionally requires people do things that nobody in their right mind can be massively enthusiastic about, “motivation” runs into the insurmountable obstacle of trying to elicit enthusiasm for things that objectively do not merit it. The only solution besides slackery, then, is to put people out of their right minds. That’s a horrible, and fortunately fallacious, dilemma.

Trying to drum up enthusiasm for fundamentally dull and soul crushing activities is literally a form of deliberate psychological self-harm, a voluntary insanity: “I AM SO PASSIONATE ABOUT THESE SPREADSHEETS, I CAN’T WAIT TO FILL OUT THE EQUATION FOR FUTURE VALUE OF ANNUITY, I LOVE MY JOB SOOO MUCH!”

I do not consider self-inflicted episodes of hypomania the optimal driver of human activity. A thymic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysthymia) compensation via depressive episodes is inevitable, since the human brain will not tolerate abuse indefinitely. There are stops and safety valves. There are hormonal hangovers.

The worst thing that can happen is succeeding at the wrong thing – temporarily. A far superior scenario is retaining sanity, which unfortunately tends to be misinterpreted as moral failure: “I still don’t love my pointless paper-shuffling job, I must be doing something wrong.” “I still prefer cake to brocolli and can’t lose weight, maybe I’m just weak”. “I should buy another book about motivation”. Bullshit. The critical error is even approaching those issus in terms of motivation or lack thereof. The answer is discipline, not motivation.

There is another, practical problem with motivation. It has a tiny shelf life, and needs constant refreshing.

Motivation is like manually winding up a crank to deliver a burst of force. At best, it stores and converts energy to a particular purpose. There are situations where it is the correct attitude, one-offs where getting psyched and spring-loading a metric fuckton of mental energy upfront is the best course of action. Olympic races and prison breaks come to mind. But it is a horrible basis for regular day-to-day functioning, and anything like consistent long-term results.

By contrast, discipline is like an engine that, once kickstarted, actually supplies energy to the system.

Productivity has no requisite mental states. For consistent, long-term results, discipline trumps motivation, runs circles around it, bangs its mom and eats its lunch.

In summary, motivation is trying to feel like doing stuff. Discipline is doing it even if you don’t feel like it.

You get to feel good afterwards.

Discipline, in short, is a system, whereas motivation is analogous to goals. There is a symmetry. Discipline is more or less self-perpetuating and constant, whereas motivation is a bursty kind of thing.

How do you cultivate discipline? By building habits – starting as small as you can manage, even microscopic, and gathering momentum, reinvesting it in progressively bigger changes to your routine, and building a positive feedback loop.

Motivation is a counterproductive attitude to productivity. What counts is discipline.

Update: there’s part 2 (http://www.wisdomination.com/practical-discipline/).

Glass
1st January 2016, 10:10 PM
My new years resolution is to be an Uber driver next New Years Eve.

Uber users feel sting of peak surge price rises

https://s.yimg.com/ea/img/-/160102/b8882132z.1_20160101214354_000_go7du15n.2_1-1b8d146.jpg?x=656&sig=k0j0ddtPGrLGZcsVFPUprw--

The New Year’s Day hangover has hit the bank accounts of enraged Perth Uber customers caught out by New Year’s Eve “surge” fares up to nine times the price of their usual ride home.
Uber customers used social media yesterday to vent anger at bills for hundreds of dollars for trips which, in some cases, were under 20km.

Uber’s surge pricing increases its fares in line with demand at busy times.

The result of hot demand for Uber drivers on New Year’s Eve led to Steven Dewrance being charged $428.95 for a 50km trip from Fremantle to Cannington to Aubin Grove about 2am yesterday. The same trip off-peak would cost about $85.79.

A few more "horror stories" at The West (https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/30473319/uber-users-feel-sting-of-peak-surge-price-rises/).

Seeing as I don't bother with it I should make good use of the time. For that kind of moola it could be worth it. So long as you don't get any nutcases.

Jewboo
1st January 2016, 10:19 PM
Update: there’s part 2 (http://www.wisdomination.com/practical-discipline/).

Part two contains his specific steps which make a lot of sense. A few readers complained (in the comments) that they cannot share this otherwise great article because of a crude reference to porn.

Well worth the read.

Hitch
1st January 2016, 10:48 PM
Damn it Pete, you're giving him exactly what he wants. Just ignore him, you'll be happier.

No. The truth must be told. I'll say it. Jewboo is an evil fucking bastard, a liar. He will sell you what you want, but you'll pay for it.

This forum worships him, tolerates him. The guy is Satan. He is a Demon, I wager my soul on it. Christ will come again.

Just pay attention to your spidey signals..

palani
2nd January 2016, 04:28 AM
...and that is?
A sauna ... or if you prefer ... a hot tub then a sauna.

Horn
2nd January 2016, 05:12 PM
No. The truth must be told. I'll say it. Jewboo is an evil fucking bastard, a liar. He will sell you what you want, but you'll pay for it.

This forum worships him, tolerates him. The guy is Satan. He is a Demon, I wager my soul on it. Christ will come again.

Just pay attention to your spidey signals..

Early on he did mention cannabalizing HT in a cave, I thought it were a joke.

Obviously I was mistaken. After all the bans destroyed other forums its becoming obvious that he is the cannabalizer that he stated he was. Can't even allow an open news resolution thread to be made without it erupting.

The only way to be accepted into his cave is to bring a human sacrifice for dinner.

Cebu_4_2
2nd January 2016, 05:46 PM
Early on he did mention cannabalizing HT in a cave, I thought it were a joke.

Obviously I was mistaken. After all the bans destroyed other forums its becoming obvious that he is the cannabalizer that he stated he was. Can't even allow an open news resolution thread to be made without it erupting.

The only way to be accepted into his cave is to bring a human sacrifice for dinner.

Fuck that shit. Were bored and the few players that antagonize are also bored. Think of hungry fish in a pool of water. Stop feeding them and they will tend to go away.

Other than that I picked up 50 foot of copper tubing for my new distillery. Was looking for lead tube but they don't make that anymore.

palani
2nd January 2016, 05:50 PM
Was looking for lead tube but they don't make that anymore.

You have a desire to go blind?

Horn
2nd January 2016, 05:52 PM
Was looking for lead tube but they don't make that anymore.

lemme guess, drinking through a lead straw were a Book recommendation?

Cebu_4_2
2nd January 2016, 05:54 PM
You have a desire to go blind?

Just trying to replicate the old style destiliaries that made shine back then. I drink so much bad shit now the ringing in my ears I can't hear shit. Figured the lead might help with it, could be lead defficient I think.

Why I have no spell check? It is enabled in firefox but I know I spell a lot of shit wrong.

palani
2nd January 2016, 06:01 PM
could be lead defficient
Lead deficiency is manifested by a desire for 'suicide by cop'. Display a toy handgun and your lead deficiency will be immediately cured.

Cebu_4_2
2nd January 2016, 06:05 PM
Lead deficiency is manifested by a desire for 'suicide by cop'. Display a toy handgun and your lead deficiency will be immediately cured.

Not sure I really understand this but I will try to look it up. Sounds encouraging to say the least! Thanks and Merry Achbar!

Horn
2nd January 2016, 06:13 PM
i know of some setbacks when using copper in carbonation, not sure if that holds true for distillery?

I wasn't sure anyone could be short lead is a no no, maybe iron?

Yet further investigation demonstratesthat there is a potential forthe CO2 or carbonated water tobackflow into the water supplycopper piping. This is where theproblem occurs. The acidic carbonatedwater or carbon dioxidemay leach the copper out of thecopper piping. This may bedetected by the discoloration ofthe water (i.e., blue water), or air(i.e., carbon dioxide) coming out ofnearby faucets, or an "off-taste" inthe soft drink being served. Ingestinglarge amounts of copper

http://backflowtrainingcourses.com/Portals/0/Documents/Backflow%20protection%20on%20soda%20machines.pdf

Cebu_4_2
2nd January 2016, 06:19 PM
i know of some setbacks when using copper in carbonation, not sure if that holds true for distillery?

I wasn't sure anyone could be short lead is a no no, maybe iron

http://backflowtrainingcourses.com/Portals/0/Documents/Backflow%20protection%20on%20soda%20machines.pdf

Never thought of this, I can't find SS tubing but sounds to be the whip. Was just messing about lead tube, since its only like 10 of us here. Yes I need to do more research on this copper tube even though it is non carbonated. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Cebu_4_2
2nd January 2016, 06:28 PM

This is some real shit!! I dont know how to thank you. Serious.

Jewboo
22nd January 2016, 10:59 AM

https://akphoto4.ask.fm/610/007/737/-519996979-1t0anqe-en18tc531rpa5gk/original/avatar.jpg

adjective: right; comparative adjective: righter; superlative adjective: rightest

morally good, justified, or acceptable.
"I hope we're doing the right thing"

synonyms:
just (https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&biw=1536&bih=743&q=define+just&ved=0ahUKEwjGlvScjb7KAhUG-2MKHfjdBOEQ_SoIHjAA), fair (https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&biw=1536&bih=743&q=define+fair&ved=0ahUKEwjGlvScjb7KAhUG-2MKHfjdBOEQ_SoIHzAA), proper (https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&biw=1536&bih=743&q=define+proper&ved=0ahUKEwjGlvScjb7KAhUG-2MKHfjdBOEQ_SoIIDAA), good (https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&biw=1536&bih=743&q=define+good&ved=0ahUKEwjGlvScjb7KAhUG-2MKHfjdBOEQ_SoIITAA), upright (https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&biw=1536&bih=743&q=define+upright&ved=0ahUKEwjGlvScjb7KAhUG-2MKHfjdBOEQ_SoIIjAA), righteous (https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&biw=1536&bih=743&q=define+righteous&ved=0ahUKEwjGlvScjb7KAhUG-2MKHfjdBOEQ_SoIIzAA), virtuous (https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&biw=1536&bih=743&q=define+virtuous&ved=0ahUKEwjGlvScjb7KAhUG-2MKHfjdBOEQ_SoIJDAA), moral (https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&biw=1536&bih=743&q=define+moral&ved=0ahUKEwjGlvScjb7KAhUG-2MKHfjdBOEQ_SoIJTAA), ethical (https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&biw=1536&bih=743&q=define+ethical&ved=0ahUKEwjGlvScjb7KAhUG-2MKHfjdBOEQ_SoIJjAA), honorable (https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&biw=1536&bih=743&q=define+honorable&ved=0ahUKEwjGlvScjb7KAhUG-2MKHfjdBOEQ_SoIJzAA), honest (https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&biw=1536&bih=743&q=define+honest&ved=0ahUKEwjGlvScjb7KAhUG-2MKHfjdBOEQ_SoIKDAA); lawful (https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&biw=1536&bih=743&q=define+lawful&ved=0ahUKEwjGlvScjb7KAhUG-2MKHfjdBOEQ_SoIKjAA), legal (https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&biw=1536&bih=743&q=define+legal&ved=0ahUKEwjGlvScjb7KAhUG-2MKHfjdBOEQ_SoIKzAA)
"it wouldn't be right to do that"

Hitch
22nd January 2016, 10:28 PM
Hey everyone, I've been a big failure and divorced 5 times.

Let's focus on Hitch and a bottle of maple syrup. What a great forum we have here!

I appreciate your honesty, Jewboo. Apology accepted. :)

Cebu_4_2
22nd January 2016, 11:00 PM
i appreciate your honesty, jewboo. Apology accepted. :)

lmfao!