PDA

View Full Version : Metal Storage Outside the Banking System, but not in your house

gunDriller
10th February 2016, 01:16 PM
How would you work a Precious Metal vaulting system if all the big banks collapsed and you didn't want to do business with an organization that does government reporting ?

I have asked one coin store about how much this would cost. He said insurance for vaulting would cost about 1 percent a year, and that would be the primary cost, if I paid for a safe in his store.

I like the Personal Storage model, where you rent space, and it's SECURE space.
Secure means a number of things.

A. Nobody know it's there.

My own home is extremely secure because I share a driveway, and you can't see my home or the driveway from the road.

So burglars driving around casing the joint just plain don't see my house. In the mean-time, I have been selling tools, so most of the people who come up my driveway are people I've given directions to. And they tell me enough stories to tell me, burglars driving around casing the joint did see their house.

B. Immune to One man heist attempts.

C. Immune to Armed Heist attempts.

D. Immune to Multiple Man heist attempts (e.g. the US gov.)

E. Reasonable Engineering to foil 'elegant' heist attempts, e.g. Ocean's Eleven.

What I think might work is to have an acreage like mine, with a gated entrance.

And basically a building, like a personal storage space, with a whole bunch of small rooms. And, rooms with multiple large safe deposit boxes, one cubic foot or more. Normally, the way the keys work here, is one key for staff, one key for the owner of the contents, you need 2 keys to open it.

Is there a better keying arrangement ?

I think it would be good to bypass staffing & personnel, to the extent possible.

Also, to make it invitation only.

Anyway, I think the commercial options like APmex and Provident have, are a little too expensive, without any increase in security or service. For the price they charge, you should get a massage every time you access your holdings.

I'm not proposing to use my house for a group vaulting arrangement or club. But it is very secure. That's pretty much verified by tow-truck drivers who have lived in the town all their life and can't find my place.

I guess it would have to be built so that, once it's built, the keys and other security mechanisms do not allow the owner of the property to access any one of the vaults.

Anyway, I think it would be great if there was something like that that helped a person separate a major part of their wealth from their position on the globe.

It used to be, that's what a bank was for, but we know how that worked out !

Ponce
10th February 2016, 01:20 PM
Again....... "If you don't (fucking) hold it, you don't own it"..... besides, I want it when I want it and not when they will give it to me.

V

Twisted Titan
10th February 2016, 01:53 PM
Most of us dont have enough to justify a third party holding service

Just get creative.....you are only limited by your imagination.

palani
10th February 2016, 03:22 PM
Metal storage in times of depression comes naturally. You don't have to do anything special.

http://i1.wp.com/sometimes-interesting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/old-car-city-861.jpg?resize=1024%2C683

Each of those junking certificates is marked with the original value of the vee-hicle. All you have to do is figure out how to cash it in and you will be rolling in dough (and heavy metal).

Half Sense
10th February 2016, 05:39 PM
gunDriller, it's worth thinking about but ultimately it means trusting a counterparty. Which means in times of trouble the counterparty is going to look after themselves before they look after their clients. There is little or no benefit for the depositor versus a hole in the ground and a zipped lip.

Joshua01
10th February 2016, 07:03 PM
again....... "if you don't (fucking) hold it, you don't own it"..... Besides, i want it when i want it and not when they will give it to me.

V

^^^^this^^^

mick silver
11th February 2016, 04:21 AM
what ponce said .................................................. ........................

Spectrism
11th February 2016, 05:00 AM
I would not put my valuables in the hands of a store owner or any other "safe site" because when they get a gun put to their heads, the safe is worthless.

Security needs to be established on these things:

Secrecy- nobody know what you have or where anything might be.
Difficulty- even if someone could find where it is, its location is too difficult for them to extract expeditiously.
Overwatch- nothing is secure left alone. You need to be proximal to it with alarming and deadly force cover.

Neuro
12th February 2016, 07:22 AM
gunDriller, it's worth thinking about but ultimately it means trusting a counterparty. Which means in times of trouble the counterparty is going to look after themselves before they look after their clients. There is little or no benefit for the depositor versus a hole in the ground and a zipped lip.
Funny how it works, but it is during those times of trouble you wish you had your gold...