PDA

View Full Version : Garden 2016

osoab
22nd April 2016, 06:29 AM
Let's see if we can get beyond a handfull of posts for this garden thread.

I will post some pics later. I am having an onion issue that might be a virus. I have yet to find pictures that look exactly the same as my issue. Onion yellow dwarf virus is the closest comparison.

I'm in zone five.

The first brassicas were planted in the ground March 12th. First onion bed was in on March 23rd. Went through a 20F evening too. Potatoes were planted around March 23rd.

Ordered my onions from this place. http://www.dixondalefarms.com/

All brassicas were grown from seed.

Finished planting tomato and pepper seeds on April 20th.

I have been trying to plant everything by the moon sign this year. Things do look great.

Gardening by the Moon Calendar from the Farmers' Almanac (http://farmersalmanac.com/calendar/gardening/)

osoab
22nd April 2016, 07:50 AM

The white stuff is diatomaceous earth.

skid
7th May 2016, 02:25 PM

The white stuff is diatomaceous earth.

Won't diatomaceous earth kill your earth worms?

skid
7th May 2016, 02:27 PM
Planting corn, pumpkins squash and watermelons today. Started them in pots a few weeks ago,...

osoab
19th May 2016, 06:48 PM
The pics below are the the same bed from pics #3 & #4 above. I took the cover off permanently today to get more light. The cabbage heads are not getting solid quick enough. The Gonzalez below should be done right about now. Some are firm, some ain't even close. Gonzalez is a mini cabbage. The Murdoch (1 & 2) doesn't seem green enough. The Gonzalez is a very dark green cabbage in general. I had two broccoli in this bed too. They are tall and stringy. Their main heads were only half dollar size. Total plant size is about 3'-6+ if you could completely stretch out the main leaves. I have another mini cabbage in this bed that isn't even close to heading up. It was stringy from the beginning.

That is a basketball below and my hand.

The first two pics is a variety called Murdoch. (cabbage)

#3 and #4 is Gonzalez. (cabbage)

Pic #5 is a called Veronica, a Romanesco Broccoli. It's only baseball sized. I don't know how much bigger it will get.

osoab
19th May 2016, 06:52 PM
This a not quite a full pic of this bed. It is 4x8. There are 9 Gonzalez (cabbage), 9 Quick Start (cabbage), 4 Murdoch (cabbage), 1 Veronica (Romanesco Broccoli), 1 Waltham 39 (broccoli), 1 Premium Crop (broccoli).

osoab
19th May 2016, 06:54 PM
Won't diatomaceous earth kill your earth worms?

I really don't have worms. Maybe I need to add more organic matter in the fall. I haven't seen any worms since early April when I move black plastic around.

Half Sense
20th May 2016, 06:20 AM
I just harvested the first of my "Patio" variety tomatoes. They are determinate and very easy to grow. 6 plants will provide about 100 medium sized tomatoes. We also have 6 "German Johnson" tomato plants, which are indeterminate, leggy, and harder to grow successfully. They are doing well and about 5' tall but have fewer tomatoes than the Patio variety.

Our favorite heirloom variety is the Cherokee Purple but they've been really nailed by bugs the last 2 times we grew them.

We also have squash, zucchini and eggplants growing. The squash and zucchini are amazingly tasty compared to store bought. Eggplants are the white "Casper" variety and a black Florida hybrid.

We normally don't try growing in mid-late Summer but I want to try something this summer once the tomatoes are done. Okra does well but I want to try pumpkins or beans, I think.