PDA

View Full Version : VW - The Crush

madfranks
5th May 2016, 11:23 AM
http://ericpetersautos.com/2016/05/04/the-crush/

Hidden in VW’s announcement yesterday that it was “setting aside” nearly $9 billion to buy back – and destroy – about half a million diesel-powered cars convicted of “cheating” Uncle’s emissions tests was a statement by CEO Matthias Mueller that tells us how craven – and divorced from reality – car company CEOs are these days.

Mueller told reporters that VW will undergo a “wide-ranging transformation” that will end up with the company “focusing more” on “digital services” and “zero emissions” vehicles; that it would be sinking money into “mobility services” such as ride-sharing apps and car-sharing.

Because it looks like selling cars – economically and functionally viable cars – isn’t working much for them.

Well, it was.

But not anymore.

Because Uncle.

Instead of $22k TDI Jettas that can go 50-plus miles on a gallon of fuel, VW’s Matthias wants to “focus” on Germanic Teslas like the electric Golf – which costs almost $30,000 and goes maybe 70 miles on a full charge. VW can’t send me an eGolf to review because the thing can’t make it here in a single trip, in a single day.

Not unless it is carried here on a flatbed.

But the eGolf is “zero emissions” and that makes it politically appealing to politically correct CEOs like Mueller, whose “customer” is Uncle… not us.

If this weren’t the case, VW would be defending its excellent – and hugely popular – TDI-powered cars instead of crushing them. And not “focusing” on electrified idiocies such as the eGolf.

Mueller told reporters VW intends to “make electric cars one of (its) hallmarks” by 2020, by which time – less than four years from now – it plans to introduce 20 new electrified idiocies, notwithstanding the eGolf’s great success (not) and notwithstanding utterly absent market demand for cars that struggle to go anywhere and which need a very long umbilical cord to get there. And which also cost Ludicrous Sums of money and even then still can’t be sold at a profit without open-ended “help” from Uncle.

Reading between the lines – you can almost see the type – Matthias intends to ditch diesels (politically incorrect) in favor of … electric cars.

Because they are “clean” (and, of course, politically correct).

Whether they work being – apparently – beside the point.

It’s crazier than Nicholson in The Shining. The “cheating” TDIs about to be crushed – in what has got to be the most disgusting mass-display of wastefulness and stupidity outside of the Kasich for President campaign – would every one of them easily pass Uncle’ s circa 2000 (model year) emissions fatwas.

Were those cars “dirty”?

Really?

At the time, they were touted as exceptionally “clean.”

Which of course, they were.

Nothing produced since the late 1970s could accurately be described as “dirty.” Once new cars got smart catalytic converters (three-way, with oxygen sensors and the air-fuel ratio constantly fine-tuned by a computer and the fuel precisely metered by fuel injection) emissions became a non-issue, if the issue was air quality and so on.

And new cars have had all that since at least the late 1980s.

But emissions became a political issue – and the public (with the passive connivance of rollover CEOs like Mueller) has been gulled into believing that Great Work remains perpetually to be done (at whatever cost) to reduce emissions to nil.

Well, that’s been done – years ago.

Or damned close to it, anyhow.

As I’ve written about so many times in the past it is beginning to make my teeth ache, 95-plus percent of the exhaust stream of new cars is water vapor and carbon dioxide. Inert gasses that have nothing whatsoever to do with air pollution.

Cars are “clean.” Have been “clean”…. for decades.

This includes VW’s cars.

These agenda-dicks who “caught” VW “cheating” could do a public service by taking some of the “affected” TDI cars and seeing whether they meet Uncle’s standards circa 2000 or even 2005.

My bet is they would.

And if so, then their being tarred-and-feathered as “dirty” is disgustingly dishonest. Remember: Half a million owners of perfectly sound cars are going to be pressured to hand them over to be destroyed over a fractional difference in emissions output that absolutely no one can point to any actual harm resulting from.

Why isn’t anyone – Herr Mueller? – asking about that… ?

What harm has been caused by a TDI-powered VW car “emitting” – says Uncle – “up to 40 times” (but probably a lot less than) a third of a percent more of whatever Uncle has his panties in a bunch about? Define the thing, dammit. Show me a victim before you crucify me.

Or throw away half a million perfectly good cars and flush almost $9 billion dollars down the got-damned toilet.

No wonder Trump is surging.

When the ship is sinking, you grab whatever you can to stay afloat.

Whatever Trump’s flaws, he’s got balls.

Too bad Herr Mueller lacks them.

osoab
5th May 2016, 03:37 PM
This sounds like Paul Krugman's wet dream.

Hitch
5th May 2016, 05:23 PM
This article makes no sense. Why destroy those cars. Buy them back, sure. Buy them back, then sell them to Africa, Mexico, anywhere in South America. Tell the US to piss off. Minimize your losses.

VW will not destroy 500,000 cars because of this. Tell the US media they were 'destroyed' for a laugh maybe, those cars will be on the roads somewhere on this planet.

Glass
5th May 2016, 05:58 PM
The article makes fine sense. the cars are faulty. they cannot be allowed to exist.

The faulty part is the people who have decided this. Vehicles must be destroyed if they are declared unroadworthy or their title is removed. Title is required for ownership. If a title is removed from a thing the thing cannot be owned. If it cannot be owned it cannot exist.

The UK did a vehicle buy back at that start of the GFC - 2009. They paid GBP 2000 per vehicle. It was sold to the people as economic stimulus to get people to buy new cars and stimulate the economy. Seeing as the UK don't make many cars it only served to increase trade deficits with other countries.

Australia did the same, for $2000 per car (about half the UK amount) which spelt the final death knell of the local car building industry and all associated supporting manufacturers and importers, brakes, tires, exhausts, plastic mouldings.

The government then owns the vehicles, withdrew titles and road worthy. All vehicles were destroyed. I do not know how many in Aus died that way. In the UK it was millions.
http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/00194/F_200504_april25ed__194388a.jpg
UK airfield. All of these cars were destroyed.

The objective is to remove the car. Make it unavailable to people. We can see a concerted effort to eliminate private vehicle ownership. They are not going to do it outright. They are going to make it so inconvinient to own a car that people won't bother. By eliminating local manufacturing, a population then has to rely on imported vehicles which may or may not be available. Look at Cuba as an example.

The other efforts they are taking is to make the journey itself so difficult that people will not bother. In Australia now we have this philosphy of "self regulating roads". Basically this means that when the road is designed or redesigned (for existing roads), they deliberately put obstacles on the road, so that travelling at the regular speed limit - 60kph/40mph is not possible. Down here we have roundabout entrances/exists where only one vehicle can access them at sone time. So if a car is waiting to enter a roundabout and a car is looking to exit at the same place, there is only one lane, so the exiting car must wait until the entering car has entered before it can exit. We also have roads that were once 4 lanes wide reduced to 2 lanes wide, but the road is staggered along it's length so that for 100 meters the left lane is aligned with the right lane for the next 100 meteres. so you have to zig zag down the road. Basically it forces traffic into a head on position. Hard to describe but mind boggling anyone would think it's safe idea.

Anyway short answer is to get rid of cars by getting rid of local manufacturers and then blocking imports.

Cebu_4_2
5th May 2016, 06:29 PM
Down here we have roundabout entrances/exists where only one vehicle can access them at sone time. So if a car is waiting to enter a roundabout and a car is looking to exit at the same place, there is only one lane, so the exiting car must wait until the entering car has entered before it can exit. We also have roads that were once 4 lanes wide reduced to 2 lanes wide, but the road is staggered along it's length so that for 100 meters the left lane is aligned with the right lane for the next 100 meteres. so you have to zig zag down the road. Basically it forces traffic into a head on position. Hard to describe but mind boggling anyone would think it's safe idea.

They did this in Michigan before I left, the stupidest thing I ever saw. The consensus was that these are stupid 'educated' kids with 'degrees' hired to make things better. Just shows you how stupid an education can get. Down here in the south in the cities we dont have the roundie rounds but a traffic light system that takes 6 minutes to cycle. One side forward at a time, then one side at a time for left turns and right turns... Then you get to the next light. To get through 4 miles it takes longer than it does to go 20 miles on the freeway.

Glass
5th May 2016, 06:41 PM
we have roads like that. We had a road rebuilt. It was a 4 kilometer stretch, about 2.5 miles. Took 10 years to do. They would do it, finish then 6 months dig it again. Now it is 8 lanes wide and the traffic lights take 5 minutes to cycle.

There is another road that runs through the down town. It runs between the central train station and the open mall entrance to the shopping malls. It is about maybe 200 metres. It has been under roadworks without break for 30 years now. Maybe a few years more. I recall when I started driving maybe 2 years later they dug it up for road works and it has been in roadworks without a single break ever since. It is still under road works today.

There was another highway across town through another major shopping precinct. I recall it was dug up when a sibling started working in that area. It has been completed now for 5 years but it was 15 years under road works. 1km piece of road.

There are some roads that they keep under roadworks for decades. I could go on about crappy road management. It is designed to delay, frustrate and consume your life and money. Can be no other reason for some of the decisions that are taken.

Joshua01
5th May 2016, 06:55 PM
US government=high gas mileage cars are bad for business, they must be destroyed in the name of climate change

What a fucking crock!

Cebu_4_2
5th May 2016, 06:57 PM
US government=high gas mileage cars are bad for business, they must be destroyed in the name of climate change

What a fucking crock!

I have been here a while and we had better milage vehicles in the '80s than we do today. It's all bullshit.

JohnQPublic
5th May 2016, 07:49 PM
I am still waiting for an article with some accurate engineering analysis of what the real numbers are behind the VW TDI hyperbole. I have not found anything yet.

California already destroys cars. I had a car hitting approaching 300,000 miles- fully paid for. Emissions were not meeting standards. There were no after market cats available, and it would have cost me over $800 just for the two replacement cats + installation. Or the state would buy it back for $1000. Guess what I did.