PDA

View Full Version : software being used to steal cars

cheka.
10th July 2016, 12:30 AM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/thieves-go-high-tech-to-steal-cars-1467744606

Police and car insurers say thieves are using laptop computers to hack into late-model cars’ electronic ignitions to steal the vehicles, raising alarms about the auto industry’s greater use of computer controls.

The discovery follows a recent incident in Houston in which a pair of car thieves were caught on camera using a laptop to start a 2010 Jeep Wrangler and steal it from the owner’s driveway. Police say the same method may have been used in the theft of four other late-model Wranglers and Cherokees in the city. None of the vehicles has been recovered.

“If you are going to hot-wire a car, you don’t bring along a laptop,” said Senior Officer James Woods, who has spent 23 years in the Houston Police Department’s auto antitheft unit. “We don’t know what he is exactly doing with the laptop, but my guess is he is tapping into the car’s computer and marrying it with a key he may already have with him so he can start the car.”

The National Insurance Crime Bureau, an insurance-industry group that tracks car thefts across the U.S., said it recently has begun to see police reports that tie thefts of newer-model cars to what it calls “mystery” electronic devices.

“We think it is becoming the new way of stealing cars,” said NICB Vice President Roger Morris. “The public, law enforcement and the manufacturers need to be aware.”

A homeowner’s security-camera video shows thieves in Houston using a laptop to thwart electronic-ignition control and start a 2010 Jeep Wrangler and drive away.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV said it “takes the safety and security of its customers seriously and incorporates security features in its vehicles that help to reduce the risk of unauthorized and unlawful access to vehicle systems and wireless communications.”

On Wednesday, a Fiat Chrysler official said he believes the Houston thieves “are using dealer tools to marry another key fob to the car.”

Titus Melnyk, the auto maker’s senior manager of security architecture for North America, said an individual with access to a dealer website may have sold the information to a thief. The thief will enter the vehicle identification number on the site and receive a code. The code is entered into the car’s computer triggering the acceptance of the new key.

The recent reports highlight the vulnerabilities created as cars become more computerized and advanced technology finds its way into more vehicles. Fiat Chrysler, General Motors Co. and Tesla Motors Inc. have had to alter their car electronics over the last two years after learning their vehicles could be hacked.

Glass
10th July 2016, 02:53 AM
I saw a documentary a couple weeks ago of a groups of chop shoppers who would go grab a car to order. one of the guys was an ECU guy. he would come with an ecu for the car being stolen. One guy would get into the car and get the hood open. The other guy would plug in the ecu so they could override the on board one and then they would drive off.

They would get a breaker chassis, drop the stolen body onto that, maybe blend in parts from 2 or 3 cars and sell the car on the new chassis. I think it was Underworld inc but I can't find the episode. I think if you could crack the remote tracking/shutdown stuff the makers are using now it would be just as easy to get control of the car and just drive away.

midnight rambler
10th July 2016, 04:31 AM
Although they may put on a show to the contrary, the 'authorities' don't really give a shit and are actually enablers for car thieves so there's more sales for the automobile manufacturers.

collector
10th July 2016, 06:26 AM
The higher ups know that the car owner is insured and he'll get paid for his loss no matter what happens

singular_me
10th July 2016, 11:22 AM
there is a solution in every paradigm of knowledge, so the only way to use knowledge against people/someone is to be way ahead of the curve.

trying to resolve issue with ideas of the past doesnt work, and of course "they" know it. Implementing fear is the best concoction to prevent people from finding innovative and fresh solutions. 4000 of the same rehashed issues... when will people have enough of this circus and declare self-governance, which the only solution.

cheka.
7th August 2016, 08:34 PM
couple of punk kid mexicans have the software...imagine how easy it is to get

http://www.policeone.com/investigations/articles/207552006-Police-Laptop-used-to-reprogram-steal-more-than-100-cars/

HOUSTON — Two men jailed in Houston and accused of using pirated computer software to steal more than 100 vehicles may have exploited an electronic vulnerability to advance auto theft into high-tech crime.

Michael Arce, 24, and Jesse Zelaya, 22, focused on new Jeep and Dodge vehicles, which attract big money on the black market in Mexico, authorities said. The men allegedly used a laptop computer to reprogram the targeted vehicles' electronic security so their own key worked.

crimethink
7th August 2016, 10:17 PM
I'm happy with our 1990s/2000s vehicles. :)

No "Internet of things" bullshit to be hacked.