PDA

View Full Version : social security: surge in minorities starting on it as kids

cheka.
15th July 2016, 05:14 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-column-miller-socialsecuritykids-idUSKCN0ZU1OF

A study released this week underscores the importance of Social Security’s multigenerational impact - in particular, the program’s outsized impact on poverty rates among children of color.

Nine percent of all American children under age 18 benefited from Social Security in 2014 either directly or indirectly, according to research by the Center for Global Policy Solutions (CGPS), a nonprofit research and advocacy group. That translates to approximately 6.4 million children - and it was equivalent to 11 percent of all Social Security beneficiaries.

Social Security Administration data shows that 3.2 million children received Social Security benefits directly in 2014, usually as the surviving dependent of a deceased parent or guardian (43 percent) or a disabled worker (42 percent). The remaining 15 percent were children of retirees.

But the CGPS study went further, using additional federal data sources to measure the number of children who live in extended families that receive Social Security. That wider lens reveals the aforementioned figure - 6.4 million children.

The study underscores Social Security’s importance in fighting poverty rates, especially in households of color. These rates are far too high already, and would soar to stunning levels in the absence of Social Security benefits. CGPS found that 40 percent of African-American children live in poverty - a figure that would jump to 58 percent without Social Security. In Latino households, 28 percent of children live in poverty; the figure would be 45 percent absent Social Security.

And reliance on Social Security in minority households is on the rise. The number of indirect child beneficiaries in Latino households, for example, rose by 42 percent on average annually between 2001 and 2014.

“We often talk about Social Security reform in the context of retirement,” says Maya Rockeymoore, CEO of CGPS. “The fact of the matter is that skews our understanding of who the program serves. Social Security serves people of all ages, from birth to death - and the number of dependent children is too often ignored.”

DEBATE SHIFT

The takeaway here: Social Security is a multi-generational program, so do not believe the zero-sum game arguments that often are raised in the context of Social Security reform discussions.

7th trump
15th July 2016, 05:30 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-column-miller-socialsecuritykids-idUSKCN0ZU1OF

A study released this week underscores the importance of Social Security’s multigenerational impact - in particular, the program’s outsized impact on poverty rates among children of color.

Nine percent of all American children under age 18 benefited from Social Security in 2014 either directly or indirectly, according to research by the Center for Global Policy Solutions (CGPS), a nonprofit research and advocacy group. That translates to approximately 6.4 million children - and it was equivalent to 11 percent of all Social Security beneficiaries.

Social Security Administration data shows that 3.2 million children received Social Security benefits directly in 2014, usually as the surviving dependent of a deceased parent or guardian (43 percent) or a disabled worker (42 percent). The remaining 15 percent were children of retirees.

But the CGPS study went further, using additional federal data sources to measure the number of children who live in extended families that receive Social Security. That wider lens reveals the aforementioned figure - 6.4 million children.

The study underscores Social Security’s importance in fighting poverty rates, especially in households of color. These rates are far too high already, and would soar to stunning levels in the absence of Social Security benefits. CGPS found that 40 percent of African-American children live in poverty - a figure that would jump to 58 percent without Social Security. In Latino households, 28 percent of children live in poverty; the figure would be 45 percent absent Social Security.

And reliance on Social Security in minority households is on the rise. The number of indirect child beneficiaries in Latino households, for example, rose by 42 percent on average annually between 2001 and 2014.

“We often talk about Social Security reform in the context of retirement,” says Maya Rockeymoore, CEO of CGPS. “The fact of the matter is that skews our understanding of who the program serves. Social Security serves people of all ages, from birth to death - and the number of dependent children is too often ignored.”

DEBATE SHIFT

The takeaway here: Social Security is a multi-generational program, so do not believe the zero-sum game arguments that often are raised in the context of Social Security reform discussions.
Just one of the reasons why I stopped participating in the scam.

ximmy
15th July 2016, 06:48 PM
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/trsum/

Status of the Social Security and Medicare Programs Office of the Chief Actuary (https://www.ssa.gov/oact/index.html)
2016 Trustees Report (https://www.ssa.gov/oact/TR/2016/index.html)
Actuarial Publications (https://www.ssa.gov/oact/pubs.html)

A SUMMARY OF THE 2016 ANNUAL REPORTS Social Security and Medicare Boards of Trustees

The Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015 was projected to postpone the depletion of Social Security Disability Insurance (DI) Trust Fund by six years, to 2022 from 2016, largely by temporarily reallocating a portion of the payroll tax rate from the Old Age and Survivors Insurance (OASI) Trust Fund to the DI Trust Fund. The effect of updated programmatic, demographic and economic data extends the DI Trust Fund reserve depletion date by an additional year, to the third quarter of 2023, in this year's report. While legislation is needed to address all of Social Security's financial imbalances, the need remains most pressing with respect to the program's disability insurance component.

The OASI and DI trust funds are by law separate entities. However, to summarize overall Social Security finances, the Trustees have traditionally emphasized the financial status of the hypothetical combined trust funds for OASI and DI. The combined funds satisfy the Trustees' test of short-range (ten-year) close actuarial balance. The Trustees project that the combined fund asset reserves at the beginning of each year will exceed that year's projected cost through 2028. However, the funds fail the test of long-range close actuarial balance.

The Trustees project that the combined trust funds will be depleted in 2034, the same year projected in last year's report.

Looks good! (insert rolley eyes here)

cheka.
15th July 2016, 07:30 PM

I had to read this twice....

am I correct - it is saying 42 percent EVERY year in that time span? (averaged)

Joshua01
15th July 2016, 07:38 PM
The way the 'minorities' shit out kids the well will go dry very soon

ximmy
15th July 2016, 07:39 PM

I had to read this twice....

am I correct - it is saying 42 percent EVERY year in that time span? (averaged)

hard workers pay, lazy scum suckers benefit.

“Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated.” — Thomas Jefferson

Down1
16th July 2016, 11:07 AM
This is interesting.

drycreek
16th July 2016, 11:39 AM
I'm in a small agricultural town in central CA right now. I pulled into an Ace Hardware parking lot to wait for a phone call. I sat there for about 20 mins and just observed things. Every car is full of beaners and their children. I've never seen so many unattractive people who should not be breeding. They don't even look human to me. Weird body shapes, short small legs, deformed skulls, all are obese. I don't think drinking several bottles of tequila would make the women even slightly attractive. The orcs in LotR were at least athletic and productive; these beaner orcs are just breeding more and more unproductive, unattractive beaner orcs. I just sat there shaking my head in disbelief.

https://web.archive.org/web/20131110063939/http://www.resist.com/CARTOON%20GALLERY/SPICS/spics_image08.jpg