PDA

View Full Version : Relaxing and Inspiring to watch at the same time...

Jewboo
1st September 2016, 03:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGPjFFMD3c0

best to click on the Youtube direct link and watch in High Definition

Hitch
1st September 2016, 08:02 PM
Thanks Book, great video to share and indeed, relaxing.

Keep in mind this is a 2.6 million dollar watch. Nonetheless, mechanical watch making absolutely fascinates me. I have a swiss mechanical watch, which I wore to work for over six months. I beat the shit out of this watch. I went through 5 watch bands during the time, and the thing kept on ticking. The sapphire crystal, not a scratch. Scratches on the stainless bezel yes, but the it remained water tight. All the gears and tiny parts kept moving and it kept accurate time.

I finally retired it from work duty. I upgraded the band to a stainless one, and it's my favorite watch to wear. How they kept all those little tiny parts moving through the beating this watch took, amazes me.

Neuro
2nd September 2016, 04:19 AM
What a masterpiece that is, and handcrafted on top of that!

hoarder
2nd September 2016, 04:37 AM
After 20+ years of mechanic work, watching that drove me nuts. Working on tiny mechanisms is harder than putting together a D8. Then there is the impracticality of it all. You can't compete with mass production. I could buy a brand new Timex every day for the rest of my life and still be a couple million bucks ahead of that.

But I still respect and admire the guys who can build them.