PDA

View Full Version : fsa housing stats houston

cheka.
24th September 2016, 07:20 AM
that's a lot of fs {0}

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Odds-are-long-for-housing-vouchers-9243176.php

Tanya Raines has yearned for more space nearly every day since her 2-year old twins were born, squeezing their way into an already cramped one-bedroom apartment.

That dream has been difficult to realize, however, on just $733 per month in disability payments.

Having turned down public housing last year because of safety concerns, Raines now hopes to secure a Housing Choice Voucher, another form of housing assistance that would help her rent a home in the private market.

"I want them to have a little puppy running around and playing with them," Raines, 28, said of her three children. "I want them to have a backyard where I can cut my own grass - and smell it and everything."

Raines was one of more than 58,000 residents to enter the Houston Housing Authority's voucher lottery as of Friday. The agency opened its program waiting list Monday for the first time in four years, having almost worked its way through the list from 2012.

The authority projects more than 60,000 households will apply before the application window closes Sunday night.

The odds are long.

Even if Raines is one of the 30,000 applicants accepted onto the waiting list via random lottery, she may not hear from the authority for five years, based on the agency's current projections. Just 1,500 to 2,500 vouchers become available annually, depending on how quickly current voucher holders exit the program.

Designed to provide families with a greater array of rental options, the vouchers pay for about 18,000 of Houston's roughly 78,000 subsidized units.

That leaves at least another 100,000 Bayou City families in need of affordable options in the wake of rapid demolition and high-end inner-city building after the 2008 recession, which boosted rents across the region.

Despite Houston's reputation for affordability, 46 percent of renters in the metropolitan area spent more than 30 percent of their income on housing, making them "cost burdened" by federal standards, according to a report by Harvard University's Joint Center for Housing Studies. Nearly half of these 417,800 families allocated more than half of their income for housing.

Income guidelines

To qualify for a voucher, residents must earn less than 50 percent of the area's median income - $24,250 for an individual and $34,600 for a family of four.

Down1
24th September 2016, 07:44 AM
What is that ??? ??? ???

I am glad her "disabilty" hasn't affected her ability to breed.

I am always amused that these people can find money for pets & inkwork.

cheka.
24th September 2016, 07:56 AM
What is that ??? ??? ???

I am glad her "disabilty" hasn't affected her ability to breed.

I am always amused that these people can find money for pets & inkwork.

and thay hi dollar sailfoams

boogietillyapuke
24th September 2016, 08:19 AM
"I want them to have a little puppy running around and playing with them," Raines, 28, said of her three children. "I want them to have a backyard where I can cut my own grass - and smell it.

Bring your our own puppy and don't forget the doo-doo bag. I'll let her practice and sniff all the grass she wants to mow.

cheka.
5th October 2016, 12:37 PM
some cali numbers

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/voucher-730796-section-county.html

About 21,000 households in Orange County hold Section 8 vouchers, a fraction of the 122,000 “very low-income” households that qualify for one. In all, about 87,000 local families are on waiting lists at the four agencies that administer the Section 8 program in Orange County. Waits of six to 10 years are common.

Once a person gets a voucher, they have it for life, as long as they follow the rules and meet income guidelines, meaning they stay poor enough to qualify.

About 2.2 million families nationally, including more than 300,000 in California, hold Section 8 vouchers. And that’s just a fraction of the people who could have them. A Harvard study on housing found that only one out of four renters who could qualify for federal rent assistance actually got it in 2013.

The financial constraints are tough. To qualify for a Section 8 voucher, an applicant must be a citizen or legal U.S. resident and earn no more than 50 percent of the median income in a specific area – $48,750 a year for a family of four in Orange County. But three-fourths of the vouchers are reserved for even lower-income households, with incomes of $29,250 or less for an Orange County family of four.

cheka.
5th October 2016, 12:39 PM
from link above - includes some neighboring counties...check out LA county -- 87,000 !

Rental vouchers by county

Here are the total numbers of "housing choice" rental subsidy vouchers for Los Angeles, Orange County and the Inland Empire, as of June:

County

Total vouchers

Orange

Los Angeles

Riverside

San Bernardino

Total

madfranks
5th October 2016, 01:34 PM
"I want them to have a little puppy running around and playing with them," Raines, 28, said of her three children. "I want them to have a backyard where I can cut my own grass - and smell it and everything."Good, so get yourself a f&#$ing job and earn it.

Spectrism
5th October 2016, 01:47 PM
All these thousands of breeders in one city? That is more than my whole town. And these breeders are paying no taxes to support the city.... even worse- they are leeching money out of the city and state.

Where is Mr Leech that helped the disabled breeder pop out the 3 chillren? Oh, they be 3 Mr Leeches? Where dey at?