PDA

View Full Version : An Indian First ... Submersible Frigate

palani
6th December 2016, 04:53 PM
This may be a first in Indian history but the Swedes invented it first ... The Vasa in 1626.

Turns out naval architects are useful when determining the position of the center of buoyancy and the center of gravity. The physics of the system requires that the center of buoyancy be situated above the center of gravity in order that a righting moment bring the vessel back to an orientation closer to vertical.

Perhaps the Indian engineers lack this vision? [Oops .. I hope I did not inadvertently divulge classified information]

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/06/asia/india-betwa-frigate-flips/index.html

An enormous Indian Navy frigate tipped over on its side on Monday, killing two people and leaving 14 others injured.
The guided missile frigate INS Betwa, a 3,850-ton ship more than125 meters (410 feet) in length, rolled over on a 90-degree angle while being docked, Indian Navy spokesman D.K. Sharma told CNN.
"Our first priority is to get the ship in an upright position," Sharma said. "It is an unfortunate incident and one of the first in the history of the Indian Navy."

crimethink
6th December 2016, 06:04 PM
Americans really don't have too much to brag about. The early Ticonderoga-class "cruisers," built atop Spruance-class destroyer hulls, with Mark 26 rail launchers, were so top heavy they had to put over a hundred ton of lead low in the hull to compensate. Later ships with the VLS system, which actually raised the center of gravity even more despite being overall heavier (the VLS tubes went up to the main deck), had to have lighter materials used for the superstructure. *

I'm trying to figure out what sort of maneuver did the Dotheads do to make it capsize in harbor, as opposed to at sea? Very light on fuel?

* "The decision was made not to add buoyancy but to remove weight in the follow ships with the Take Off Tons Sensibly (TOTS) program described by Staiman."

navalengineers.net/Proceedings/AD08/documents/paper21.doc

Glass
6th December 2016, 06:17 PM
boat has been sailing for a fair while now. something must have shifted? Full of gold or fresh Rupee? Old Rupee even?

I know. There's a hole somewhere. The guy with the bucket was on lunch break? Someone didn't understand what the drift button does? They sent the fat guy up the mast?

palani
6th December 2016, 06:49 PM
As oil for the engines is depleted the tanks are filled with sea water ... aka 'ballast'. You forget this step and nasty things happen.

Could be a tug took a strain on a line at the wrong time.

Or even the crew lining up on one side of the vessel to salute their sweethearts.

cheka.
6th December 2016, 07:26 PM
indians make negroes look mechanically inclined

palani
6th December 2016, 08:03 PM
indians make negroes look mechanically inclined
Hey ... they defeated the British Empire.

That's pretty good bona fides.

But they had sense enough then to not do it with submersible frigates.

crimethink
6th December 2016, 08:57 PM
Hey ... they defeated the British Empire.

Winston Churchill defeated the British Empire, by exhausting Britain while fighting for Stalin.

The Indians simply took advantage.

cheka.
6th December 2016, 09:56 PM
all i know is that i've worked with hundreds of modern indians....great puter jockeys and math skillz.....morons with anything mechanical

palani
7th December 2016, 06:02 AM
all i know is that i've worked with hundreds of modern indians....great puter jockeys and math skillz.....morons with anything mechanical
I worked at one time with one who had a masters in Electrical Engineering. He was a superintendent. His subordinates would attach paste it notes to magazine articles and route the magazines around the various offices. Usually they would place a list of who the magazine would go to with a FYI in one corner. He was said to have taken these notes around to other managers to ask what did this FYI stand for. It came out that he thought it meant "F**k You Indian".

I don't believe I have ever met another individual so paranoid.

Spectrism
7th December 2016, 06:58 AM
There are different "classes" of Indian. Some are rich and feel entitled to be worshiped. They are hard to take. they demand everything like spoiled brats. Some are humble and kind. Some are very intelligent- able to wrestle complex ideas. I think it depends much on their environment. When in a good environment, they do well. When oppressed and down-trodden, they play that role.

Horn
7th December 2016, 09:59 AM
I don't believe I have ever met another individual so paranoid.

My experience is they are very much robotic, Germans are also like this to an extent.

They operate very well when standard procedure is being followed, when an emergency "wrench" is found in the gears they pretty much watch as it tears up the rest of the machine.