PDA

View Full Version : SCROTUS directs schools to pay even more to "educate" the ineducable

crimethink
22nd March 2017, 06:02 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/22/us/politics/gorsuch-education.html

Schools may not settle for minimal educational progress by disabled students, the Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday, rejecting a standard that some lower courts have applied, and that the nominee to join the high court, Neil M. Gorsuch, has been criticized for using.

The federal Individuals With Disabilities Education Act requires “free appropriate public education” for all children. In multiple cases, the federal Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit, in Denver, has held that the law demands little “more than de minimis” — merely a program intended for a student to show some annual gains.

“It cannot be the case that the Act typically aims for grade-level advancement for children with disabilities who can be educated in the regular classroom, but is satisfied with barely more than de minimis progress for those who cannot,” Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. wrote for a unanimous court.

“When all is said and done, a student offered an educational program providing ‘merely more than de minimis’ progress from year to year can hardly be said to have been offered an education at all,” he wrote. “The IDEA demands more. It requires an educational program reasonably calculated to enable a child to make progress appropriate in light of the child’s circumstances.”

In a 2008 ruling, Judge Gorsuch, who sits on the Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit, applied the “de minimis” standard in rejecting a parents’ claim that a school’s provisions for their autistic child were inadequate.

crimethink
22nd March 2017, 06:05 PM
Until drooling retards are sent to astronaut training, the leftists who deny reality will not be happy.

I'm all for giving kids a proper education, but I know these type of "people" arguing in favor of this shit. They are outside of reality. They literally believe you can wish fantasies into being. Their kids are not "developmentally disabled" - they're "developmentally delayed." As in, pour in enough time & money, say, 50 times the amount spent on normal children, and the kid will become a brain surgeon. They're also the type that believe the lowest common denominator must prevail in "education," rather than helping the best and brightest achieve even more.

cheka.
22nd March 2017, 07:44 PM
i've been meaning to start a thread about same topic. close family member is a public skool teacher at a mixed district. i have first-hand info that i can tie into the overall agenda.

before i start posting the info, a comment on the op - it is all about subtraction by addition. nyc.dc dept of edu dictates pushing the money/resources toward the deadwood as a way to starve the good students. the pie is fixed - so every dollar redirected to the unmotivated slugs necessarily harms the good students. this is an overriding theme of the agenda

Ares
22nd March 2017, 07:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBvIweCIgwk

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBvIweCIgwk