PDA

View Full Version : Investigating a coin deal?

Patow57
15th May 2017, 10:07 PM
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and have a "situation". My elderly mother has the gold bug bad and I am concerned about her investments and have a right to be from what I have read here in the forum. So I know who she is buying from and want to know how I can learn about the company and the sales person...discretely! I am not on a witch hunt, but, want to investigate. There are several warning flags but all could be legit. So ask a few questions and lead me on. All of the coins are what I would call mid grade slabbed silver and gold US coins from the late 1800s to early 1900s.

Thanks

madfranks
16th May 2017, 04:21 AM
Lots of companies will try to sell you overpriced coins because they're slabbed. My advice, go to apmex.com and compare the price of the slabbed coins they're trying to sell her with the raw coins on apmex. My bet is the ones they're trying to sell your mom will be way higher. And the slab isn't worth much at all unless the coin is MS-63 or higher.

ximmy
16th May 2017, 10:25 AM
Be on a witch hunt. Chances are almost 100% she is being taken advantaged of

Joshua01
16th May 2017, 11:23 AM
It's not a witch hunt if you're validating the integrity of the company you or your Mom buys from. I have a preferred list of vendor's (a very short list) and on the rare occasion that I buy from an individual that person needs to demonstrate a 100% solid and verifiable track record of honesty before I would consider doing business with him/her.
Be on a witch hunt. Chances are almost 100% she is being taken advantaged of