PDA

View Full Version : "Inexperienced staff outsourced to India didn’t know to launch back up system"

crimethink
29th May 2017, 11:04 AM
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3672676/british-airways-boss-tries-gag-staff-it-failure/

THE British Airways boss [Alex Cruz] is alleged to have tried to “gag staff” over the IT meltdown which hit 300,000 passengers – as inexperienced staff in India didn’t know how to launch the back up system, it has been claimed.

(...)

The chief executive, who founded budget carrier Clickair and ran airline Vueling before moving to work for British Airways in 2016, has been accused of replacing British IT professionals with cheap overseas workers since taking the role.

And GMB union bosses say that this move may have led to this weekend’s chaos – a whistle-blower even claimed bosses knew about the “dodgy” systems.

Down1
29th May 2017, 03:19 PM
Any info if this CEO is a marrano ?

Ares
29th May 2017, 03:54 PM
I work with companies every day who have outsourced to India. The knowledge is spotty at best, most of the time they argue with the solution you are giving them, or reject it outright because they don't have a clue what you are telling them to do. They get indignant when you point out that they aren't even up to par to be running some of these environments.

It really is greed that causes these companies to outsource to India.... Look I work in I.T., I get that we are "expensive" and are usually not a cash flow positive for the company (salary, health insurance, equipment that depreciates in value, storage which companies are always needing whether it's expanding or replacing failed drives.)

But I think British Airways is a good example of "You get what you pay for."

Joshua01
29th May 2017, 04:57 PM
My company outsourced our operations support to India two years ago. Those guys can't even speak English and they have no clue what they're doing. Wee've had two major outages since and both have been attributed to 'administrator error' Back in the day Americans actually took care of these systems and lo and behold, these outages were few and far between. It's going to get worse....a lot worse

madfranks
29th May 2017, 05:01 PM
Funny, I keep hearing in the media how indispensable immigrant/foreigner work is, because they're so much better than White Americans.

Joshua01
29th May 2017, 05:03 PM
I'd be happy to see them dispensed ASAP
Funny, I keep hearing in the media how indispensable immigrant/foreigner work is, because they're so much better than White Americans.

crimethink
29th May 2017, 06:26 PM
Any info if this CEO is a marrano ?

Unknown, but his behavior suggests it.

He's from Bilbao, Spain.

Glass
29th May 2017, 06:59 PM
Microsoft outsourced it's application development to India years ago. What they got was bloatware built with inefficient IDE's that "overcode" for the same result an experienced hand coder could produce. Most of the OS replacements and upgrades have simply been re-skins of old applets and system / server modules. General across the board non compliance with industry design standards (RFC's). Web design tools and web server engines that are so inefficient Microsoft doesn't even use them. Plans to integrate unix shell into Windows. Enough said.