PDA

View Full Version : Filipino freighter hits USS Fitzgerald

crimethink
16th June 2017, 06:17 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-naval-vessel-collides-merchant-ship-southwest-japan-n773521

https://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2017_24/2041576/170616-uss-fitzgerald-collision-ac-804p_b6fd36b9183c6be82702d3de26edb3c2.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

The 7th Fleet said the Fitzgerald experienced some flooding but continues to operate under its own power although its propulsion is limited.

"The full extent of damage is being determined," The Fleet said.

The Fitzgerald suffered damage to its starboard side above and below the waterline, the Fleet said. A U.S. Navy official said the bridge was damaged in the collision so communication with the ship is limited and difficult.

crimethink
16th June 2017, 06:47 PM
7 Sailors Missing, CO Injured After Destroyer USS Fitzgerald Collided with Philippine Merchant Ship

https://news.usni.org/2017/06/16/destroyer-uss-fitzgerald-collides-japanese-merchant-ship

Guided missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald on June 17, 2017 following a collision with a Japanese merchant ship. NHK Image

This post has been updated with an additional statement from U.S. 7th Fleet.

Seven sailors are missing after a U.S. guided-missile destroyer collided with a Philippine-flagged container ship off the coast of Japan, a Navy official confirmed to USNI News on Friday night.

USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62) collided with ACX Crystal at about 02:30 AM on Saturday local time or about 1:30 PM EST on Friday, U.S. 7th Fleet told USNI News. The collision resulted in significant damage to the destroyer, the loss of the seven sailors and a serious injury to the ship’s commander, the Navy official confirmed to USNI News.

“The Japanese Coast Guard is on scene and providing assistance at the request of the U.S. Navy. Japan Coast Guard cutters Izunami and Kano are on station, as well as a helicopter,” U.S. 7th Fleet said in a statement around 7 PM EST.

Ship commander Cmdr. Bryce Benson has been medevaced from the destroyer and a second medical evacuation was in progress, a Navy official told USNI News.

“USS Fitzgerald suffered damage on her starboard side above and below the waterline. The collision resulted in some flooding. The ship’s crew is responding to the casualty. The full extent of damage is being determined,” the statement said.

“Fitzgerald is under her own power, although her propulsion is limited.”

The ship was bound for the U.S. naval base at Yokosuka at about three knots.

Two Navy tugs, destroyer USS Dewey (DDG-105) and Navy aircraft have been dispatched to assist the ship.

Navy Times reported, “that Auxiliary Machine Room 1 and two crew berthings were completely flooded. Given the late hour, most crewmembers not standing watch would be in the berthing.”

The condition of Crystal is unknown at this time.

“I would like to thank the Japan Coast Guard for their support in this situation and ask that we keep the sailors of the USS Fitzgerald in our thoughts. We are committed to ensuring the safe return of the ship to port in Yokosuka,” said U.S. 7th Fleet commander Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin in a statement.

Fitzgerald is part of the U.S. Forward Deployed Naval Forces based in mainland Japan and attached to U.S. 7th Fleet.

The following is the complete statement from U.S. 7th Fleet.

PHILIPPINE SEA (NNS) — USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) was involved in a collision with a merchant vessel at approximately 2:30 a.m. local time, June 17, while operating about 56 nautical miles southwest of Yokosuka, Japan.

The Japanese Coast Guard is on scene and providing assistance at the request of the U.S. Navy. Japan Coast Guard cutters IZUNAMI and KANO are on station, as well as a helicopter.

The USS Fitzgerald is under her own power, although her propulsion is limited.

The USS Fitzgerald suffered damage on her starboard side above and below the waterline. The collision resulted in some flooding. The ship’s crew is responding to the casualty. The full extent of damage is being determined.

The extent of number of personnel injuries is being determined. Currently working with the Japanese Coast Guard to conduct a medevac via helicopter for one Sailor.

The USS Dewey (DDG 105), medical assistance and two Navy tugs are being dispatched as quickly as practicable to provide assistance. Naval aircraft are also being readied.

Joshua01
16th June 2017, 06:53 PM
This is what happens when you have gays, trannys and feminazis in the military. I'm surprise we haven't blown ourselves up since Obozo fired all the real military leaders. Trump needs to be very hard on the mistakes so he can clean out the deadwood Obozo created.

midnight rambler
16th June 2017, 07:29 PM
How was the crew not aware that another big ass ship was on a collision course?? ???

Cebu_4_2
16th June 2017, 07:37 PM
Stupidity?

Hitch
16th June 2017, 07:54 PM
How was the crew not aware that another big ass ship was on a collision course?? ???

Good question, but due to where the damage occured, the USS Fitzgerald had the right of way (international maritime rules of the road).

My guess, some folks were asleep at the wheel, on both ships.

Nomoss
16th June 2017, 08:35 PM
Good question, but due to where the damage occured, the USS Fitzgerald had the right of way (international maritime rules of the road).

I have some questions and need more info to say anything.
But WE HAVE buffoons on here shitting out there ass about things THEY know not.

Horn
16th June 2017, 09:27 PM
This is what happens when you have gays, trannys and feminazis in the military. I'm surprise we haven't blown ourselves up since Obozo fired all the real military leaders. Trump needs to be very hard on the mistakes so he can clean out the deadwood Obozo created.

The captain had the helm for only 2 months.

cheka.
16th June 2017, 09:33 PM
seems the cargo ship is doing fine. as I'm typing this it is cruising along at 9+ knots toward Tokyo, about 29 nautical miles south of Tokyo

here is the history -- check out the gap in data between may 29 and june 16:

2017-06-17 13:26 Tokyo Standard Time Arrived at Port: Tokyo Bay, Japan AIS
2017-06-16 22:40 CDT Passed Tokyo Bay, Japan Entrance AIS
2017-05-29 03:33 CDT Passed Tokyo Bay, Japan Entrance AIS
2017-05-29 17:22 Tokyo Standard Time Departed Port: Tokyo Bay, Japan AIS
2017-05-29 05:56 Tokyo Standard Time Departed Oi Container Terminal AIS
2017-05-28 15:42 Tokyo Standard Time Arrived Oi Container Terminal AIS
2017-05-28 12:41 Tokyo Standard Time Arrived at Port: Tokyo Bay, Japan AIS
2017-05-27 22:04 CDT Passed Tokyo Bay, Japan Entrance AIS
2017-05-26 03:36 CDT Passed Tokyo Bay, Japan Entrance AIS
2017-05-26 17:26 Tokyo Standard Time Departed Port: Tokyo Bay, Japan

Joshua01
16th June 2017, 09:37 PM
Perhaps he was simply gender fluid today and was struggling to gain her sexual identity.

Seriously, they may want to put someone up in the crows nest with a good pair of binoculars. That's been effective in the past against things like this. Don't even get me started on why none of the electronics on the ship could have warned against a collision in plenty of time to avoid it. I mean what the fuck?? ?? US Navy 101 shit! We paid to set you up with the best systems in the world. I mean WTactualF are you folks doing out there??

Horn
16th June 2017, 09:45 PM
Perhaps he was simply gender fluid today and was struggling to gain her sexual identity.

Seriously, they may want to put someone up in the crows nest with a good pair of binoculars. That's been effective in the past against things like this. Don't even get me started on why none of the electronics on the ship could have warned against a collision in plenty of time to avoid it. I mean what the fuck?? ?? US Navy 101 shit! We paid to set you up with the best systems in the world. I mean WTactualF are you folks doing out there??

They were probably all glued to CNN and Trump travisty.

Joshua01
16th June 2017, 09:48 PM
It certainly wasn't because they were too busy practicing their maritime skills that they failed to avoid a collision
They were probably all glued to CNN and Trump travisty.

ximmy
16th June 2017, 10:13 PM
something like this... is what happened ... too much pride

"The Lighthouse Joke"

US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.
CND reply: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.
US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.
CND reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!
US Ship: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS CORAL SEA*, WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!
CND reply: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

Glass
16th June 2017, 11:14 PM
lots of 7's in that story
7th fleet
7 sailors
ddg62 = 77 (15+62)
6/17 = 6+1+7
2017 = 3 + 7 or is it 3 x 7?

Joseph Aucoin = gold coin?

Its a shame if people died though.

crimethink
16th June 2017, 11:34 PM

My understanding is the opposite is true, that the freighter had the "right" of way, since she was off starboard of Fitzgerald:

https://www.ecolregs.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=20&Itemid=360&lang=en

I think that may be literal.

crimethink
16th June 2017, 11:36 PM

One month, four days, actually:

http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/ddg62/Pages/USS-Fitzgerald-Holds-Change-of-Command-Ceremony.aspx

crimethink
16th June 2017, 11:45 PM

Unfortunately, many of the folks on the USNI news article discussion forum agree with your stance. "Not MY Navy anymore," and similar.

Her AN/SPS-67 surface search radar would have accurately plotted the freighter's course, if it was working properly and being used properly. Bridge wing lookout(s) should have seen her and let the bridge know of a potential course conflict.

We do now have a Navy where "celestial navigation" means pushing a button to access satellite coordinates, and pregnancy on board is a chronic problem.

crimethink
17th June 2017, 08:59 PM
All 7 missing found dead in the berthing compartments:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/17/us/missing-sailors-found/index.html

ShortJohnSilver
18th June 2017, 10:56 AM
What seems suspicious to me:

Direct hit to bridge, took out captain's quarters and communications - the bridge is only about what, 8% of the profile of the destroyer? Captain was injured to the point of needing medical evacuation.

So chances are only 1 in 12 that this particular area would be hit in a truly random encounter.

Filipino flagged for convenience, but, what was on the ship? Who are the owners of the ship and what are their political affiliations?

crimethink
18th June 2017, 11:04 AM
Direct hit to bridge, took out captain's quarters and communications - the bridge is only about what, 8% of the profile of the destroyer? Captain was injured to the point of needing medical evacuation.

There is no damage to the bridge, as can be seen in photos.

The damage was to crew berthing, the radio room, a mechanical room, and the Captain's cabin. It was early morning, so most of the crew, including the CO, were sleeping. Most of the damage is below the waterline, out of view in the photos. Many freighters have a very large, bulbous bow:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Bulbous_Bow_NT.PNG

That projection is what did the most grave damage.

midnight rambler
18th June 2017, 11:35 AM
What seems suspicious to me:

So chances are only 1 in 12 that this particular area would be hit in a truly random encounter.

Filipino flagged for convenience, but, what was on the ship? Who are the owners of the ship and what are their political affiliations?

IMO could not have struck it in a better location for greatest damage with the possibility of sinking her. I read one report that the Fitzgerald came close to sinking due to taking on water and listing.

Joshua01
18th June 2017, 01:31 PM
How did a United States warship leave itself vulnerable to such a situation?
IMO could not have struck it in a better location for greatest damage with the possibility of sinking her. I read one report that the Fitzgerald came close to sinking due to taking on water and listing.

Cebu_4_2
18th June 2017, 03:26 PM
How did a United States warship leave itself vulnerable to such a situation?

By letting queers in and firing the good generals.

Walter Mitty
19th June 2017, 10:20 AM

The Fitzgerald did not have the right away.
The Fitzgerald was damaged on the Starboard side. The Container ship on the Port Side.
The Container ship had the right away as it was crossing from the Right /Starboard side
of the U.S. Ship. ( Ship on the right has the right away.
If the Fitzgerald was overtaking the ship at a (I believe) 20 degree or less angle on the Port side of the Container ship, it was a passing situation and the Helmsman on the Fitzgerald
Bridge, if he could not pass safely in front of the container ship , should have dropped back and passed astern of the container ship.

crimethink
19th June 2017, 10:47 AM
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/06/19/national/collision-u-s-warship-freighter-off-japan-wasnt-reported-55-minutes/#.WUgN1CmQyUk

The Japan Coast Guard is investigating why it took nearly an hour for a deadly collision between a U.S. Navy destroyer and a containership to be reported.

A Coast Guard official said Monday they are trying to find out what the crew of the Philippine-flagged ACX Crystal was doing before reporting the collision to authorities 55 minutes later.

The Coast Guard initially said the collision occurred at 2:20 a.m. Saturday because the Philippine ship had reported it at 2:25 a.m. and said it just happened. After interviewing Filipino crew members, the Coast Guard changed the collision time to 1:30 a.m.

The ACX Crystal collided with the USS Fitzgerald off the Izu Peninsula in Shizuoka Prefecture, killing seven of the destroyer’s crew of nearly 300.

A record of the containership’s route by MarineTraffic, a vessel-tracking service, shows it made a sudden turn as if trying to avoid something at about 1:30 a.m., before continuing eastward. It then made a U-turn and returned to the area near the collision at around 2:20 a.m.

Coast Guard official Tetsuya Tanaka said they were trying to resolve what happened during the 50 minutes.

He said officials are planning to get hold of a device with communications records to examine further details of the crash. The Japan Transport Safety Board also started an accident investigation Monday.

Nanami Meguro, a spokeswoman for Nippon Yusen K.K., the ship’s operator, agreed with the revised timing of the collision.

Meguro said the ship was “operating as usual” until the collision at 1:30 a.m., as shown on a ship-tracking service that the company uses. She said the ship reported to the Coast Guard at 2:25 a.m. but could not provide details about what the crew was doing for nearly an hour before that.

Cebu_4_2
19th June 2017, 07:28 PM
Auto pilot.

Glass
19th June 2017, 07:41 PM
Auto pilot.

Is Tesla branching out in to military solutions now?

Horn
20th June 2017, 08:41 AM
If its totalled it could sink an insurance company.

crimethink
23rd June 2017, 12:24 PM
Freighter Was On Autopilot When It Hit U.S. Destroyer

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/freighter-autopilot-hit-us-destroyer/

The deadly collision between a U.S. destroyer and a container ship June 17 took place while the freighter was on autopilot, according to Navy officials.

The Philippines-flagged cargo ship ACX Crystal was under control of a computerized navigation system that was steering and guiding the container vessel, according to officials familiar with preliminary results of an ongoing Navy investigation.

Investigators so far found no evidence the collision was deliberate.

Nevertheless, an accident during computerized navigation raises the possibility the container ship's computer system could have been hacked and the ship deliberately steered into the USS Fitzgerald, an Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer.

midnight rambler
23rd June 2017, 12:37 PM
Just so happened that the Fitzgerald got T-boned in just the right spot...somehow. And it wasn't a glancing blow. Then the freighter left the scene instead of standing by to see if the crew of the Fitzgerald may have needed assistance. All while the crew of the Fitzgerald were caught off guard that a huge ass ship was bearing down on them? Right. I agree with the speculation that the Fitzgerald got EMP'ed or subjected to some other EM warfare and was blind at the time. Was the freighter's autopilot hacked? Possibly.

Freighter Was On Autopilot When It Hit U.S. Destroyer

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/freighter-autopilot-hit-us-destroyer/

The deadly collision between a U.S. destroyer and a container ship June 17 took place while the freighter was on autopilot, according to Navy officials.

The Philippines-flagged cargo ship ACX Crystal was under control of a computerized navigation system that was steering and guiding the container vessel, according to officials familiar with preliminary results of an ongoing Navy investigation.

Investigators so far found no evidence the collision was deliberate.

Nevertheless, an accident during computerized navigation raises the possibility the container ship's computer system could have been hacked and the ship deliberately steered into the USS Fitzgerald, an Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer.

Down1
21st August 2017, 04:55 PM
This ex Navy guy wonders why the OOD's name is being protected.

Perhaps the Fitz’s OOD is a member of a politically “protected class,” despite incompetence?
https://amgreatness.com/2017/08/20/navys-report-fitzgerald-collision-evidence-corruption/

JDRock
21st August 2017, 07:14 PM
My guess is the captains name was Meyer or Schlome or something. So, a ship supposedly ready to defend itself every second from enemy missiles, couldnt see a 6 story tall cargo ship? Lol

crimethink
21st August 2017, 07:22 PM
This ex Navy guy wonders why the OOD's name is being protected.

https://amgreatness.com/2017/08/20/navys-report-fitzgerald-collision-evidence-corruption/

OOD failed to sound General Quarters for FOURTEEN MINUTES.

Likely a Nigger, promoted from Ensign solely due to race.

crimethink
21st August 2017, 07:24 PM
My guess is the captains name was Meyer or Schlome or something. So, a ship supposedly ready to defend itself every second from enemy missiles, couldnt see a 6 story tall cargo ship? Lol

Commander Bryce Benson was the CO of the ship. He almost died in the collision (asleep in his quarters). The XO was Commander Sean Babbitt. Both have been canned as CO and XO of Fitzgerald. It's typical that a DDG doesn't have an actual Bird (rank of Captain) as Captain.

Benson is probably Scandinavian (some Bensons are Jews):

http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/ddg62/PublishingImages/XO_Benson.jpg

Neuro
22nd August 2017, 12:45 AM
Commander Bryce Benson was the CO of the ship. He almost died in the collision (asleep in his quarters). The XO was Commander Sean Babbitt. Both have been canned as CO and XO of Fitzgerald. It's typical that a DDG doesn't have an actual Bird (rank of Captain) as Captain.

Benson is probably Scandinavian (some Bensons are Jews):

http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/ddg62/PublishingImages/XO_Benson.jpg
Benson is not a typical Scandinavian name, more British isles actually, despite the -son ending which is very common in Scandinavia (especially in Sweden, Norway has both -sen and -son endings and Denmark mostly -sen).

crimethink
22nd August 2017, 01:19 AM
Benson is not a typical Scandinavian name, more British isles actually, despite the -son ending which is very common in Scandinavia (especially in Sweden, Norway has both -sen and -son endings and Denmark mostly -sen).

"Benson" is an Anglicization in America for the common Scandinavian versions, Bentsen, for example. Bengtsson was not uncommonly "butchered" to Benson; example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolph_B._Benson

But yes, it could be English/Scot, as well.

Neuro
22nd August 2017, 02:40 AM

More about it here...
http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthread.php?85933-Mans-Court-case-may-have-cracked-open-Fraud-of-D-C-Federal-Jurisdiction&p=880828&viewfull=1#post880828