PDA

View Full Version : Oregon State University offering "Fat Studies" program

madfranks
11th August 2017, 09:46 AM
I can't think of a more valuable degree, can you? :rolleyes:

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9570

Oregon State University will offer a spring course on “fat studies” in order to teach students how “weight-based oppression” is a “social justice issue.”

According to a syllabus for the course obtained by Campus Reform, students will examine “body weight, shape, and size as an area of human difference subject to privilege and discrimination that intersects with other systems of oppression based on gender, race, class, age, sexual orientation, and ability.”

"The field of fat studies has undergone tremendous growth in recent years."

[RELATED: UW program explores dangers of masculinity]

The course will be taught by Professor Patti Lou-Watkins, who has written extensively on “body image disorders, particularly as they relate to weight bias and physical activity” in academic journals and books.

In a 2013 article in European Health Psychologist, for instance, Lou-Watkins argues that the growing “war on obesity” has actually caused more harm than good, saying many who attempt to lose weight suffer psychological consequences.

“Indeed, as the ‘War on Obesity’ has escalated, so has weight-based bias and discrimination,” Lou-Watkins adds, noting that “weight bias is particularly evident among healthcare professionals, compromising the well-being of their patients.”

Similarly, in an article called “Teaching about Eating Disorders from a Fat Studies Perspectives,” Lou-Watkins discusses the sorts of “pedagogy” she now applies in her courses.

“I grew to embrace feminist pedagogy in terms of course content as well as classroom practices,” she explains. “My course now frames body image disturbances more as a function of oppressive societal structures than of individual pathology."

In yet another article, Lou-Watkins celebrates the fact that “the field of fat studies has undergone tremendous growth in recent years, with colleges now offering courses in this area,” such as hers.

[RELATED: ‘Fat Studies’ course labels dieting ‘special enemy’ of diversity]

Indeed, students enrolled in her spring Fat Studies course will be presented with opportunities to explore “forms of activism used to counter weightism perpetuated throughout various societal institutions.”

The three-credit course, however, is not the only of its kind at OSU, with another class called “Women, Weight, and Body Image” similarly examining “weightism as a system of oppression that interacts with other systems of oppression” such as “sexism, racism, classism, heterosexism, ableism, and ageism.”

Lou-Watkins has offered the Fat Studies course in previous semesters, as well, according to The Daily Caller.

Campus Reform reached out to Lou-Watkins for additional comment on her course, but did not receive a response in time for publication.

midnight rambler
11th August 2017, 10:02 AM
USA, the only country where many of the poor are obese, so of course it's a useful field of study. We can't be having fat poor folks

crimethink
11th August 2017, 01:30 PM
Fat Studies has been a discipline for a long time. Multiple choices, actually: medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy, and registered dietitian.

Oh, wait, they want a "discipline" where being fat isn't a disorder?

madfranks
11th August 2017, 01:50 PM
Fat Studies has been a discipline for a long time. Multiple choices, actually: medical doctor, doctor of osteopathy, and registered dietitian.

Oh, wait, they want a "discipline" where being fat isn't a disorder?Yeah, they're trying to change the dialog, that if you suggest that a fat lazy slob lose weight and get their health in order, it's because you're a bigot engaging in "weightism." Weightism = means the level of hate you have for a person can be directly correlated to how much they weigh.

midnight rambler
11th August 2017, 03:38 PM
Yeah, they're trying to change the dialog, that if you suggest that a fat lazy slob lose weight and get their health in order, it's because you're a bigot engaging in "weightism." Weightism = means the level of hate you have for a person can be directly correlated to how much they weigh.

Oh come on, get a grip! I *cannot* help that I'm (substantially) overweight (fat!).

crimethink
11th August 2017, 05:22 PM
Yeah, they're trying to change the dialog, that if you suggest that a fat lazy slob lose weight and get their health in order, it's because you're a bigot engaging in "weightism." Weightism = means the level of hate you have for a person can be directly correlated to how much they weigh.

I was obese in high school, and got plenty of criticism. It didn't turn me into a snowflake shrieking about "weightism." Combined with the ridicule, and my interest in girls, I slimmed down, on my own accord, to "normal" weight at 17.

Basic dignity should be accorded human beings, but lying to people, telling them morbid obesity is "good" and should be "accepted" as "normal" is not love, but deceitful hate or callousness.

crimethink
11th August 2017, 05:27 PM
Oh come on, get a grip! I *cannot* help that I'm (substantially) overweight (fat!).

The percentage of people who "cannot help" being obese is about the same percentage as the number of abortions due to rape. In other words, low single digits. The vast majority are due to lack of willpower and/or integrity.

Fat people who admit they simply like to eat should be respected to a point, and definitely far more than those who insist they "cannot help" being 500 pounds and must be "accepted."

I ask people: how is it someone gets grotesquely morbidly obese to the point they can't get out of bed? Who's fault is that, really? It's only partly the obese blob. It's largely the fault of those who keep bringing them three buckets of KFC, five pizzas, and 4 gallons of Coca Cola each day, instead of carrots, lettuce, apples, lean meat, and water.