PDA

View Full Version : Paul Craig Roberts admits he got it wrong about the Nuremberg trials & the "holocaust

Dachsie
11th August 2017, 06:04 PM
http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2017/08/11/tyranny-at-nuremberg/

"Tyranny at Nuremberg
August 11, 2017 | Categories: Articles & Columns | Tags: | Print This Article Print This Article

Tyranny at Nuremberg

Paul Craig Roberts

The showtrial of a somewhat arbitrarily selected group of 21 surviving Nazis at Nuremberg during 1945-46 was US Supreme Court Justice Robert Jackson’s show. Jackson was the chief prosecutor. As a long-time admirer of Jackson, I always assumed that he did a good job.

My admiration for Jackson stems from his defense of law as a shield of the people rather than a weapon in the hands of government, and from his defense of the legal principle known as mens rea, that is, that crime requires intent. I often cite Jackson for his defense of these legal principles that are the very foundation of liberty. Indeed, I cited Jackson in my recent July 31 column. His defense of law as a check on government power plays a central role in the book that I wrote with Lawrence Stratton, The Tyranny of Good Intentions. " SNIP

There is another thing that PCR does not seem to understand or get right in my opinion.

Here is where I see errors.

"Robert Jackson saw in these intentions not only rank criminality among the allied leadership but also a missed opportunity to create the legal principle that would criminalize war, thus removing the disaster of war from future history. Jackson’s end was admirable, but the means required bypassing Anglo-American legal principles."

I believe in the doctrine of a "just war" by Saint Augustine. http://catholicism.org/catholic-teaching-just-war.html

I think every Christian knows there will be "wars and rumors of wars" until Christ returns.
I do not see that creating a "legal principle that would criminalize war" is admirable. Ends not based in truth and reality are errors.

Also, I do not know what "Anglo-American legal principles" are but whatever they are and if they were good, they are no more.

Fides et ratio

woodman
11th August 2017, 06:50 PM
http://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2017/08/11/tyranny-at-nuremberg/

"Tyranny at Nuremberg
August 11, 2017 | Categories: Articles & Columns | Tags: | Print This Article Print This Article

Tyranny at Nuremberg

Paul Craig Roberts

The showtrial of a somewhat arbitrarily selected group of 21 surviving Nazis at Nuremberg during 1945-46 was US Supreme Court Justice Robert Jackson’s show. Jackson was the chief prosecutor. As a long-time admirer of Jackson, I always assumed that he did a good job.

My admiration for Jackson stems from his defense of law as a shield of the people rather than a weapon in the hands of government, and from his defense of the legal principle known as mens rea, that is, that crime requires intent. I often cite Jackson for his defense of these legal principles that are the very foundation of liberty. Indeed, I cited Jackson in my recent July 31 column. His defense of law as a check on government power plays a central role in the book that I wrote with Lawrence Stratton, The Tyranny of Good Intentions. " SNIP

There is another thing that PCR does not seem to understand or get right in my opinion.

Here is where I see errors.

"Robert Jackson saw in these intentions not only rank criminality among the allied leadership but also a missed opportunity to create the legal principle that would criminalize war, thus removing the disaster of war from future history. Jackson’s end was admirable, but the means required bypassing Anglo-American legal principles."

I believe in the doctrine of a "just war" by Saint Augustine. http://catholicism.org/catholic-teaching-just-war.html

I think every Christian knows there will be "wars and rumors of wars" until Christ returns.
I do not see that creating a "legal principle that would criminalize war" is admirable. Ends not based in truth and reality are errors.

Also, I do not know what "Anglo-American legal principles" are but whatever they are and if they were good, they are no more.

Fides et ratio
PCR is often wrong. His head and heart are int he right place I believe, but he has been sucked into many false stories such as the holocaust