PDA

View Full Version : Before it dies laptop

Dogman
17th February 2018, 01:15 PM
Have an old Asus that has lasted longer than any other laptop, I used to like towers, but been years, maybe sum day will buy another box. Like that at least with a box they can be upgraded, or cards changed out.

But space can be an issue and portability, so laptops are for me prefered, (built my first one in 1979 or so.
still have a bunch of old motherboards and slower amd and intell crap.

Need to throw it all out, all 1980-1990 crap. now.

Asus makes sum good shit, by my experience.

ASUS VivoBook F510UA FHD Laptop

Address bar does not work for now in firefox for me tho, small thing this is the second time, so shit will hit the fan.

Edit:

Tad of house keeping and now I can do address bars, (dam computers) lmao..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0762S8PYM/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With memory that will max out this toy. (Have dam near 20 tbs storage in my external drives) (learned my lesson of shit crashing)

Will post later once I get the bastard in my hands

Just hope this one will last as long as the one I am using now, Asus also and not near dead, but just looking for a new one and this one goes into backup mode, other than my anus nexus 7..

Laptops/box computers still have their places.

Next question, I am running win 10 professional, new one will not, question is can I no cost upgrade the new one without cost?

Will be interesting.

;D

Joshua01
17th February 2018, 01:53 PM
I am running win 10 professional

Well there's your problem right there! Install Linux Mint for free. It's faster and runs much better on older hardware and flies on an i5 with 8GB RAM! If you haven't at least given it a test drive you're doing yourself a disservice!

https://linuxmint.com/download.php

Dogman
17th February 2018, 02:01 PM
I am running win 10 professional

Well there's your problem right there! Install Linux Mint for free. It's faster and runs much better on older hardware! If you haven't at least given it a test drive you're doing yourself a disservice!

https://linuxmint.com/download.phpDude I have played with the penguin almost since it came out, along with unix and sum editions are getting there, but I chose not to get back to the command line. Tho probably not hurt to do so, tho getting old myself and the old command line fire does not flare up like the old days.

Shells , (cpm/dos/windows(all but Nt) (no fuss no muss) work for me now..

;D

First computer, ? 1977-8 ?

They that can remember, then, it is magic now.

High level and low programming languages in most flavors I used to play with. But life grabbed my ass. (younger peoples game now)

Joshua01
17th February 2018, 02:10 PM
I hear ya. I'm of the mid 1980 vintage. My first machine was a Tandy 8086 with 256k memory running Tandy Deskmate from the then recently released 1.4mb 3.5 floppy drive (no HDD). I got an 8 bit 20mb hard card for it the following Christmas and it was the coolest thing eva! Command line is very powerful, as you well know but I'm not a big fan anymore either. Sounds like you're monitoring the various Linux releases so there isn't much a guy like me can teach you! Have fun!
Dude I have played with the penguin almost since it came out, and sum editions are getting there, but I chose not to get back to the command line. Tho probably not hurt to do so, tho getting old myself and the old command line fire does not flare up like the old days.

Shells , (cpm/dos/windows(all but Nt) (no fuss no muss) work for me now..

;D

First computer, ? 1977-8 ?

They that can remember, then, it is magic now.

Dogman
17th February 2018, 02:19 PM
I hear ya. I'm of the mid 1980 vintage. My first machine was a Tandy 8086 with 256k memory running Tandy Deskmate from the then recently released 1.4mb 3.5 floppy drive (no HDD). I got an 8 bit 20mb hard card for it the following Christmas and it was the coolest thing eva! Command line is very powerful, as you well know but I'm not a big fan anymore either. Sounds like you're monitoring the various Linux releases so there isn't much a guy like me can teach you! Have fun!Truth!

Am waiting for the mental control, lmfao..

Yes the command line rules, along with the syntax that rules the command line!
Peace !

(have fun? getting old and moldy, but every wake up is a blessing, count down timer is active)(health thingy and genetics)

An occasional toy can be a wonder...!

;D

Joshua01
17th February 2018, 03:37 PM
Truth!

Am waiting for the mental control, lmfao..

;D
No one is planting a chip in this guy's head, I can tell ya that!!![]

Dogman
17th February 2018, 03:54 PM
No one is planting a chip in this guy's head, I can tell ya that!!![] Said that for a hoot...!

But I do suspect the tech is at a limit, look into lithography . the tech is not at atomic level yet, but think they are hitting the limit if not done already, why do you think they are stacking cpu ?

To go an farther they will have to solve the super conductor at room temps, or all newer computers will have to run in a liquid nitrogen environment. (heat dissipation and lower conductivity.)

Fab shops have hit the limit.. That is why they are stacking crap.

Moors law is toast unless they can solve the conductivity limit and current (heat) thingy.

There is a speed limit, amounts othr things..At our currant tech on the civilian level.

Dogman
1st March 2018, 12:35 PM
Slow gong on this one, upgrade another 4gig memory (Total 16 gigs and probably not enough for sum things I do) and a Crucial mx300 275 drive, (going slow to make sure that things are right ) shit!

Amazing, instant on, Tho unless crucial cleans up their links hard to hit their software for it , but after a talk with a support guy he sent me a link and dam it once installed , it was really a one click no shit thing. Existing drives letters are reassigned and all boot files are transferred to the ssd. then boom! One click, well maybe not one, but stupid simple.

Been snake bit, so setting up this new one, with a file dump from my old one. then I will do open heart surgery on my old one to replace the heat pipes and cooling fan, bearings are shot) never had a total backup system other than my android tablets, which are better than great. but I sum times need the horse power that a real computer has, tho sum think towers , which I love, but gave up years ago, clunky and for dam sure , hard to move. Good thing i components can be easily swapped. I prefer laptops, unlike the old days parts are available.

Amazing hit the power button, less than 5 sec ready to go. plus the extra storage, Bought a external hd for storage and backups, (3-4 years ago at the time huge now ? maybe small now but near 4 terabits disk.)

This new toy has no drives so get a usb big enough to make it a restore starter to recover your system to and from your external hd.

Neuro...I have health shit going on, sum times I am all here, other times not so much, fuck you , you skinny blond haired bony dude and the mule you ride....;D Grow old, and endure the shit that happens, at 67 I consider myself lucky, many I knew died at younger ages, like ponce I want to live to ...hehehe you shit head...Get right with life is my only recommendation to you dude.

Have in a company enviroment used machines that had ssd's but this is my first that I own, Shit...blink it is done, unlike a hd spinning up..

Probably which sum here will enjoy when my clock runs out and I will be gone from my mortal coil, that shit is getting closer, but enjoy life while you can.

;D

Next a file transfer from my old system to my new one, using a transfer, (programs, no, still need to do a setup)

Found a fan/heat pipe that can replace the one failing on my old system , never had two total working ms laptops working at the same time, Android is your friend,, but only for cursing the internet, for work shit no.

Dogman
1st March 2018, 04:45 PM
Data transfer sucksess....Shit this son of a bitch is fast..still need to install my core programs that I use, but so far shit on a stick, this one may be the best of all my computers/boxes/laptops or such.. Instant, no lag time so far with anything I have running. Even the web and this forum... which is just for grins and hoots..

This thing runs like a rapped ape.

baby light my fire..

Only other upgrade is a larger hd, 1 ter is fine, so am finished unless add a tad more memory 32 gig, and I maybe will need it .Program wise...But that is a day or few into the unknown future...

Ordered a new cooling fan/heat pipe for my old laptop, other than an noisy fan still works great. < 30 bucks...First time I had 2 latest systems running, I still have a box or two ? one a 286 with a harries math coprocessor that still works, running NT/win98 but now slower than owl shit.
Rotflmfao..

Dogman
2nd March 2018, 12:23 AM
Dam it I like this new toy, lighter and way faster than any comp I have owed. Just put it to a battery test , and 6 hours later still had good life left, need to charge up and run it until shutdown, suspect will go past 8 hours or more..Total kewl...

Best Asus box, (all computers to me are boxes, blast from the past, late 1970's thingy) My first Asus just needs an new fan/heat pipe combo to keep the processor cool. loving it. ordered a new one tonight (<30 bucks) plus another 4 gigs of memory. just for grins... Gasp then two usable at the same time toys, plus my android toys..

Asus makes sum good machines.. (dam near bomb proof)

Now to solve the cooling fan and shit in the air that builds up on the blades problem....rotflmfao..

;D

Especially laptops, the builders need to do an access plate for cleaning the fan sorta deal, but not in their intrest to do so, they want us to buy new ones . Just an hint , clean out your fans, blow the crap out of them. you will be amazed at the dust cloud , your computer will thank you for it.. By giving longer life...and stuff... + pull a system image/backup for recovery just for hoots..

Truth.

Shut down #2 plus probably one more tonight, still need to let the critters out and and kill sum grass, (wont have to mow) (tis the season) back in..

Neuro
2nd March 2018, 06:26 AM
Neuro...I have health shit going on, sum times I am all here, other times not so much, fuck you , you skinny blond haired bony dude and the mule you ride.... Grow old, and endure the shit that happens, at 67 I consider myself lucky, many I knew died at younger ages, like ponce I want to live to ...hehehe you shit head...Get right with life is my only recommendation to you dude.
I am not particularly skinny. I am about 200 lbs, I should probably loose 10-15 lbs though. I don’t really think you are the one to give life recommendations though, the “health shit” you are talking about comes from decades of bad life choices. You have fucked yourself up. So you see the recommendation comes right back at you. ;)

I am happy to see your writing coherence improving though. Cheers!

Dogman
2nd March 2018, 06:32 AM
Lmfao..Be well...

My crap is more from physical use and abuse plus throw in a few broken bones in the mix (bunch) . Not much on abuse as you seem to refer to! Plus the fun of breathing welding fumes and assorted other crap up to including asbestos before it was banned and other surprises.. But still have had a very interesting life, learned many skills/trades. (would do it all again in less than a heart beat with no regrets less the hospital time crap)

I still hold we pay for the past sins of our youth, later in life the abuse we do to ourselfs when young and dumb/er...Rotflmfao..

Nice try tho...

Carry one and have a great weekend.

Peace !

;D

Fixing to do my major data transfer from my old asus to my new one, then install my other programs from disk that I use the most.

Pulled another battery test, sob will run at least 9 hours/ with battery savings in place and dimmed screen. Plus half the weight of my other one. Down side no optical drive but I have several usb portables that can do the job..

Loving it, turn on boom it is ready to go. no hd reading needed.

Again be well dude !

Neuro
2nd March 2018, 07:01 AM
Ah you weren’t drinking yourself to a stupor before either? Well, my apologies to you then...

Cheers!\uu\

Dogman
2nd March 2018, 07:07 AM
Thank you if you mean it !

Been quite a while now sober. near a year. I have good days and bad, more bad lately, dude in many ways I just count myself lucky to wake up. But enough of that crap, what is done is done. I refuse to go to another dam hospital and be cut on again (15-20+ already in my life, I have lost count) , so let the dice fall where they fall.

Peace.

Neuro
2nd March 2018, 11:30 AM
Thank you if you mean it !

Been quite a while now sober. near a year. I have good days and bad, more bad lately, dude in many ways I just count myself lucky to wake up. But enough of that crap, what is done is done. I refuse to go to another dam hospital and be cut on again (15-20+ already in my life, I have lost count) , so let the dice fall where they fall.

Peace.

Yeah peace. I hope you stay good!

Dogman
2nd March 2018, 12:39 PM
There is only one way things end, the real question is the when.....lucky maybe a few more years, but ? tis what it tis.

Cebu_4_2
3rd March 2018, 07:31 PM
Lmfao..Be well...

My crap is more from physical use and abuse plus throw in a few broken bones in the mix (bunch) . Not much on abuse as you seem to refer to! Plus the fun of breathing welding fumes and assorted other crap up to including asbestos before it was banned and other surprises.. But still have had a very interesting life, learned many skills/trades. (would do it all again in less than a heart beat with no regrets less the hospital time crap)

I still hold we pay for the past sins of our youth, later in life the abuse we do to ourselfs when young and dumb/er...Rotflmfao..

Nice try tho...

Carry one and have a great weekend.

Peace !

;D

Fixing to do my major data transfer from my old asus to my new one, then install my other programs from disk that I use the most.

Pulled another battery test, sob will run at least 9 hours/ with battery savings in place and dimmed screen. Plus half the weight of my other one. Down side no optical drive but I have several usb portables that can do the job..

Loving it, turn on boom it is ready to go. no hd reading needed.

Again be well dude !

Blah Blah Blah... And then we go to another Blah Blah Blah.