PDA

View Full Version : Cryptocurrency Exchange Coinbase to Give IRS Data on 13,000 Users

EE_
25th February 2018, 12:21 PM
Sounding more and more like the government runs the show?

Cryptocurrency Exchange Coinbase to Give IRS Data on 13,000 Users
By f mcguire | Sunday, 25 Feb 2018 02:07 PM

Coinbase Inc., one of the most popular online exchanges for digital currencies, has warned thousands of its customers that it will be reporting their financial data to the U.S. tax officials.

The request was part of a probe by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) into alleged tax evasion.

The IRS considers cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin as property for federal tax purposes, meaning any profits or losses from the sale or exchange of the virtual coins should generally be reported as capital gains or losses, Reuters reported.

Trading of cryptocurrencies, digital tokens whose value is not backed by central banks and hard assets, surged in 2017 amid a rally in their price. A single bitcoin is worth more than $8000, compared with $1000 a year ago.

Despite the surge it remains unclear how many Americans hold cryptocurrencies as these are bought and sold on online platforms, sometimes anonymously or using pseudonyms. US-based cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase says it has 10 million users, although it is unclear how many of these are in the U.S.

Meanwhile, the information of around 13,000 users will soon have to be submitted to the IRS, according to a Friday letter to customers from Coinbase, which operates as a cryptocurrency exchange and wallet service.

The exchange said the information it is required to provide within 21 days includes ID, name, birth date, address, and transaction records from 2013-2015.

The cryptocurrency service calls the limitation of disclosure a partial, but still significant, victory for Coinbase and its customers and encouraged users affected “to seek legal advice from an attorney" promptly.

"We remind all our customers, that you have a responsibility to self-report and pay taxes on all taxable gains," Coinbase told customers.

In its initial court filing in June, the IRS requested information on all Coinbase users, cointelegraph.com reports, but the number was reduced by a court order in November, according to RT.com, a Russian international news network funded by the Russian government.

The California court order said the IRS has the right to identify people, who bought, sold, sent, or received more than $20,000 through their Coinbase accounts in a single year during the three-year period. The IRS initially targeted over 500,000 users in its court filing.

To be sure, less than 100 people out of the 250,000 individuals who have already filed federal taxes this year through company Credit Karma reported a cryptocurrency transaction to U.S. tax authorities.

This is despite nearly 57 percent of the 2000 Americans surveyed by the credit score startup and research firm Qualtrics last month saying they had realized some gains from cryptocurrencies, according to a recent Credit Karma study.

Roughly the same percentage said they had never reported cryptocurrency gains to the Internal Revenue Service, while nearly half of those polled said they understood how owning cryptocurrencies affected their taxes, Reuters cited the study as saying.

Meanwhile, the IRS news is yet another stroke of bad luck for Coinbase. Last year, it started seeing complaints soar on the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s website. Unfortunately for the San Francisco business and its customers, things have only gotten worse, Bloomberg explained.

From January to August 2017, Coinbase had received at least 293 complaints on the site. So far in 2018, the total is more than 900. Some customers have also taken to Reddit to express dismay over multiple unauthorized charges to their credit cards, money disappearing and bank accounts drained to nothing.

Coinbase is the one receiving the blame from customers, and the company is aware that it needs to do something to fix that perception. It’s one of the most prominent startups in the financial-technology world, with a valuation of $1.5 billion and investors like Spark Capital, Andreessen Horowitz and the New York Stock Exchange.

But it has been caught in a typical startup problem: not being prepared to handle a surge in demand that it so desperately craved before the Bitcoin boom of 2017.

Coinbase is making moves to prepare for the future. The company hired a former Twitter executive to lead customer service and now says it’ll increase the size of the support team to 500 in the first half of the year from 200.

https://www.newsmax.com/finance/investinganalysis/coinbase-irs-tax-cryptocurrency/2018/02/25/id/845345/

Cebu_4_2
25th February 2018, 12:34 PM
How will this happen?

The exchange said the information it is required to provide within 21 days includes ID, name, birth date, address, and transaction records from 2013-2015.

singular_me
25th February 2018, 01:14 PM
govs will continue to run the show until people grasp the dark effects of money... could be causing another downturn/crash in the crypto market

Trump’s Federal Reserve Pick Wants to Put Metal Chips in Cash to Track Every Dollar and Tax It
Goodfriend’s idea was to insert magnetic strips into the bills. Each time the cash was returned to a bank, the money would be taxed at a pre-determined rate. That would discourage individuals from hoarding cash and remove one obstacle for central bankers in setting negative rates.'
https://www.activistpost.com/2018/02/trumps-federal-reserve-pick-wants-put-metal-chips-cash-track-every-dollar-tax.html

StreetsOfGold
26th February 2018, 06:43 AM
The "NEW" system will be Bitcoin = Digital Gold (storage of wealth) and Litecoin = Silver (for transactions)
Even the LOGO COLORS reflect this

Dachsie
26th February 2018, 07:49 AM
IT is beginning to look like all the "money" you have accumulated in your crypto wallet can only be spent at places that accept payment in crypto coins. That way you can avoid Coinbase and other exchange businesses which are now being required, like other businesses, of sharing their information on their customers with the IRS. The IRS is sort of in meltdown now because of corruption so doubt if the IRS could ever get geared up to uniformly enforce any IRS taxation on crypto currency being converted to US dollars. If and when IRS starts actually levying Income taxes on people's crypto exchanged to dollars income, you can bet it will, at least at first, be totally selective enforcement orchestrated by the banksters in cahoots with the government to strategically take down only certain crypto holders.

This selective, politically motivated enforcement works the same for state taxes, not only federal income taxes. Been that way for decades, federal, state and local taxes.

singular_me
26th February 2018, 11:30 AM
Michael Tellinger - History Of Money, Is Bitcoin a Trap?

tellinger's take on bitcoin at 8 mins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g1hj1Xzgjo&feature=youtu.be

============================
too long and she sells gold/silver... but she explains why govs will create their own cryptos

Officially, there is only 4 cents in value left out of the original 100 cents and as the value of the dollar has declined, so have interest rates. So here we are at the end of the currencies lifecycle and the only place to go now is to attack principal and that’s where negative interest rates fit in. Thus the push to cyber space. There are those that believe cryptocurrencies bypass central banks. But what if they don’t? What if they actually support the goals of the established system? What would that mean if everything we earned, owned and spent was controlled by a small group of technocrats? Today’s webinar explores these questions and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PChjGysro4w

Dachsie
26th February 2018, 03:45 PM
Lynette Zang is cool in a lot of ways. She speaks a lot of logical truth. But you have to look at what her business occupation actually involves and what she takes in payment for her brokered precious metals. I see contradictions in her philosophy and statements with how she operates. She takes in huge amounts of FRNs and runs. You never get physical possession of what she sells you, and she never owned the commodities she sells you as a broker.

She was very popular as a guest a while back, but some big channels and sites have stopped having her as a guest, but I notice very very recently that her guest shots are popping up again.

I do not know enough about crypto currency to say, but it seems like putting some of your money in them is fine for now IF IF IF you have a way of paying some of your basic bills directly with your cryptos WITHOUT having to go to an EXCHANGE to do that, which appear to be being cracked down on by the government and the IRS. If there is a way to keep some of your "money" on "investments" in an offline wallet and somehow get the cryptos directly to your regular payees but NOT through an exchange, then that would seem ok for now. Don's use your crypto big "profits" to purchase stuff that you don't need and that may turn out to be a big confining burden to you in future economic crash status. Don't think there is a way to do this right now but I could be wrong. Buying houses you cannot afford and buying big RVs and other big-ticket items through an exchange seems very unwise to me.

I will share a post I made a few months ago at USA Watchdog website with Greg Hunter on one of the weekly guest videos he did with Lynette Zang. Greg H. had already had her on his show two or three times, but this show was erased from his USA Watchdog website and my comment may have been the one to get her off his radar. He never had her as a guest again.

"
https://usawatchdog.com/ultimately-they-need-the-markets-to-implode-lynnette-zang/#comment-1345822

Lynette Zang has a new video titled
Part 1 What is Money - 2008 Was Just a Warning!

At 1:04 minutes on that video she makes the statement regarding her example from her understanding of history and motivations regarding gold's role ...

"I needed a way to hold and STORE THAT LABOR that I did today for use in the future and the gold was to have the SAME VALUE, the same purchasing power down the road as it did today."

Gold never provided that "store of labor" or that "same value" back then and it does not do so now.

ITM Trading, Ms. Zang's employer, is a gold broker and they sell in increments no smaller than $10,000, ten thousand DOLLARS, and I assume they only accept payment in fiat dollars and other fiat currencies from other countries. So ITM trading is operating just like a real estate sales agent. They are profiting in dollars from something they do not own but something they are brokering.

Ms. Zang rightly criticizes cryptos for not being tied to, valued to, SDR Special Drawing Rights, but she has no problem in accepting those value -unstable fiat dirty old dollar bills for that "store-of-value" physical gold.

At the present time I think actual U S dollars are far better than cryptos, or maybe ok are cryptos transferred to a personal bank balance where it is quickly traded for goods needed to survive. At present time and in the initial stages of the coming total economic collapse the dollar in your hand is much more of immediate life saving value than gold in a vault or gold in your hands.

If the economy totally crashes in the USA, I agree it would be better to have gold in your hands to have useless electronic blips in a crypto wallet, but I AM NOT AT ALL SURE that trading that gold, which you store in some vault far away, that is, that you are not holding or physically possessing, can be traded for basic necessities to live.

Argentina is a place where the economy has totally collapsed. I think it is morally permissible for the people who have either been deprived of gainful productive labor, or labor at a living wage, to steal food and basic necessities to survive. When a total economic crash happens, you most likely will not be able to trade that gold in a "fair trade", whether you hold the gold in your hand or must retrieve it from a vault, for food and basic necessities of life. In dire economic collapse, "fair" and "value" will be determined not by who holds the gold, but by who holds the lead."

cheka.
26th February 2018, 08:44 PM
the sdr is nothing but a variant of the frn --- see frbny bailouts and swaps to save the other currencies. frn backs them all