PDA

View Full Version : grandparent scammers rounded up

cheka.
27th February 2018, 10:45 AM
there is an epidimic of this going on in my area. they even got two people close to me. scammers troll social media for old people. they call them, posing as their grandchildren (from nfo gathered on social media) and ask grandparent for money. the ones that got my people claimed the grandchild was in legal trouble - jailed. talk to your elderly about this scam -

http://www.texaspolicenews.com/default.aspx?act=Newsletter.aspx&category=News+1-2&newsletterid=69999&menugroup=Home

Justice Department Coordinates Nationwide Elder Fraud Sweep of More Than 250 Defendants

Attorney General Jeff Sessions and law enforcement partners announced today the largest coordinated sweep of elder fraud cases in history. The cases involve more than two hundred and fifty defendants from around the globe who victimized more than a million Americans, most of whom were elderly. The cases include criminal, civil, and forfeiture actions across more than 50 federal districts.

Of the defendants, 200 were charged criminally. In each case, offenders engaged in financial schemes that targeted or largely affected seniors. In total, the charged elder fraud schemes caused losses of more than half a billion dollars. The Department coordinated its announcement with the FTC and state Attorneys General, who independently filed numerous cases targeting elder frauds within the sweep period.

Prosecutors across the country from the Criminal Division’s Fraud Section, the Consumer Protection Branch and the U.S. Attorney’s Offices have heeded the call to focus resources on elder fraud cases. Over 50 U.S. Attorney’s Offices and Department Components filed elder fraud cases in the last year. A list of Elder Fraud cases is provided on this interactive map.

Some examples of the elder financial exploitation prosecuted by the Department include:

“Lottery phone scams,” in which callers convince seniors that a large fee or taxes must be paid before one can receive lottery winnings;
“Grandparent scams,” which convince seniors that their grandchildren have been arrested and need bail money;
“Romance scams,” which lull victims to believe that their online paramour needs funds for a U.S. visit or some other purpose;
“IRS imposter schemes,” which defraud victims by posing as IRS agents and claiming that victims owe back taxes;
“Guardianship schemes,” which siphon seniors’ financial resources into the bank accounts of deceitful relatives or guardians.

Many of these cases illustrate how an elderly American can lose his or her life savings to a duplicitous relative, guardian, or stranger who gains the victim’s trust. The devastating effects these cases have on victims and their families, both financially and psychologically, make prosecuting elder fraud a key Department priority.

Dogman
27th February 2018, 10:55 AM
Yep !

Need to throw the book at them, and cuff and stuff them for a while...

Tho it is amazing how sum people are gullible, and jump in with out homework, or wisdom not to jump.

Those caught are just a small drop in a very large bucket , of crooks trying to make easy money.

Sad.

I'm not real big on shit laws, but sumthing like this methinks needs to have a law with sum very large and sharp teeth, to discourage the scammers, to make it dam sure not worth their time, on a rewards vs punishment thingy.

Jerrylynnb
27th February 2018, 11:34 AM
Yes, Dogman, we ARE gullible, when it comes to our children and grandchildren (and even great-grandchildren, if we live long enough). It is part of growing old - my Momma used to say, "there is no fool like an OLD fool".

You got my vote - throw the book at them.

Dogman
27th February 2018, 12:01 PM
Yes, Dogman, we ARE gullible, when it comes to our children and grandchildren (and even great-grandchildren, if we live long enough). It is part of growing old - my Momma used to say, "there is no fool like an OLD fool".

You got my vote - throw the book at them. Not an exclusive old people problem, bunch of young to very young squirts that fit the shoe I described.

Sum on this forum also....Lmfao....

Peace!

Dogman
27th February 2018, 12:08 PM
(and even great-grandchildren, if we live long enough)

U old fart !

peace bro !

;D