PDA

View Full Version : Tempe, AZ woman died for a good cause

EE_
19th March 2018, 11:15 AM
Screw these driverless cars, I don't want them! I hope they get their pants sued off and put out of business.

Uber Suspends Driverless Car Program After Pedestrian Is Struck and Killed
Accident in Tempe, Ariz., is believed to be the first such fatality from a driverless vehicle
By Greg Bensinger
Updated March 19, 2018 1:36 p.m. ET

A self-driving car from Uber Technologies Inc. struck a woman who died Monday in Tempe, Ariz., local police say, in what is believed to be the first known fatality of a pedestrian from a driverless vehicle.

Following the accident overnight, Uber is temporarily pulling its self-driving cars off the roads in Tempe, San Francisco, Pittsburgh and Toronto, where it is testing them, a spokeswoman said. She said Uber is investigating the incident and cooperating with authorities.

The Uber vehicle, which included a human driver to assist, struck a woman who later died from her injuries, according to Tempe police. More details are expected after an investigation is concluded.

“Some incredibly sad news out of Arizona,” wrote Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi on Twitter Monday. “We’re thinking of the victim’s family as we work with local law enforcement to understand what happened.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/uber-suspends-driverless-car-program-after-pedestrian-is-struck-and-killed-1521480386

madfranks
19th March 2018, 11:48 AM
You know what's funny, almost every single new car/truck commercial now shows a distracted driver about to hit someone when the "smart" car automatically brakes and saves the day. They've been touting this technology as better than a human paying attention and now that it's actually killed someone, I wonder how this will affect the image of the intelligent car.

Uncle Salty
19th March 2018, 12:56 PM
Release the dashboard cam video. We know they have it.

Cebu_4_2
19th March 2018, 02:36 PM
Release the dashboard cam video. We know they have it.

Next episode on Faces of Death!

Joshua01
19th March 2018, 05:00 PM
Should make it on LiveLeak soon enough. Keep checking /pol/
Next episode on Faces of Death!

Ares
19th March 2018, 05:26 PM
You know what's funny, almost every single new car/truck commercial now shows a distracted driver about to hit someone when the "smart" car automatically brakes and saves the day. They've been touting this technology as better than a human paying attention and now that it's actually killed someone, I wonder how this will affect the image of the intelligent car.

Most likely a sensor malfunction. As an example my wifes vehicle has a parking sensor that makes an annoying beep when it detects an object that is too close. She called me when it happened as it would not stop beeping when there was nothing near it. When I got home from work I took a look at it. I disconnected it, started the car shut off the car and reconnected the sensor no issue. It's been over a month now and it still hasn't reoccurred. No idea what the issue was to be honest.

The more complex a system the more likely something can and will go wrong.

Hitch
19th March 2018, 06:09 PM
Shut the fuck up, you stupid, dumb, dickheads.

Listen up, it's demons. I'm telling you now so you know. Believe me, don't believe me. You won't get it, until it's too late.

Singular knows. She's been warning you! Nobody on this pointless forum, will listen.

The veil is thin between our realm and theirs, and it keeps getting thinner.

old steel
19th March 2018, 06:17 PM
I have experiences with Imps, do they count?

Noisy little buggers when they want you to know they are around.

Joshua01
19th March 2018, 07:55 PM
I want some of what you're smokin!

Listen up, it's demons. I'm telling you now so you know. Believe me, don't believe me. You won't get it, until it's too late.

Singular knows. She's been warning you! Nobody on this pointless forum, will listen.

Joshua01
19th March 2018, 07:56 PM
Version 1.0 of anything usually sucks anyway. How many people are going to die before they work all the bugs out? Will they ever work all the bugs out? What about hackers? Meltdown! Spectre! We're all gonna die!
Most likely a sensor malfunction. As an example my wifes vehicle has a parking sensor that makes an annoying beep when it detects an object that is too close. She called me when it happened as it would not stop beeping when there was nothing near it. When I got home from work I took a look at it. I disconnected it, started the car shut off the car and reconnected the sensor no issue. It's been over a month now and it still hasn't reoccurred. No idea what the issue was to be honest.

The more complex a system the more likely something can and will go wrong.

Cebu_4_2
19th March 2018, 08:19 PM

http://fantasy-faction.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/2012-JAN-Demons-03.jpg

vacuum
19th March 2018, 09:13 PM
The fucked up thing is that you can't put a corporation in prison for manslaughter.

They are legally allowed to kill people and worst case they pay a small fine for it.

They need to put that corporation in prison for 5 years. All bank accounts, assets, and legal activity frozen for 5 years.

Horn
20th March 2018, 12:07 AM

Only a veil?

Someone get Trump to build a big beautiful wall then.

Ares
20th March 2018, 04:31 AM
Version 1.0 of anything usually sucks anyway. How many people are going to die before they work all the bugs out? Will they ever work all the bugs out? What about hackers? Meltdown! Spectre! We're all gonna die!

It's known within the tech community that autos are woefully behind when it comes to securing the vehicles internal communication networks.

boogietillyapuke
20th March 2018, 06:43 AM
Police chief: Uber self-driving car “likely” not at fault in fatal crash

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03/police-chief-uber-self-driving-car-likely-not-at-fault-in-fatal-crash/?amp=1 (https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03/police-chief-uber-self-driving-car-likely-not-at-fault-in-fatal-crash/?amp=1)