PDA

View Full Version : Michelle and Barack Obama join former first ladies to condemn Trump's zero tolerance

Cebu_4_2
18th June 2018, 04:31 PM
'Sometimes truth transcends party': Michelle and Barack Obama join former first ladies Laura Bush and Hillary Clinton to condemn Trump's zero tolerance policy that separates illegal immigrant families at the border

The Obamas are speaking out against Trump's zero tolerance policy
Michelle Obama tweeted 'Sometimes truth transcends party' in response to former First Lady Laura Bush's op-ed critiquing Trump's immigration policy
Barack Obama retweeted her message on Monday
The piece decries the separation of children from parents as 'cruel' and 'immoral'
Bush wrote: 'Our government should not be in the business of warehousing children in converted box stores or making plans to place them in tent cities'
The Department of Homeland Security reported 2,000 migrant children were sent to mass detention centers between April 19 and May 31

By MARLENE LENTHANG FOR DAILYMAIL.COM (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=&authornamef=Marlene+Lenthang+For+Dailymail.com)

PUBLISHED: 17:04 EDT, 18 June 2018 | UPDATED: 18:49 EDT, 18 June 2018

Michelle and Barack Obama (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/obama/index.html) have shared a message of solidarity with former First Lady Laura Bush after she penned an op-ed condemning Trump's zero tolerance immigration (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/immigration/index.html) policy.

Former First Lady Michelle Obama shared Bush's Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/laura-bush-separating-children-from-their-parents-at-the-border-breaks-my-heart/2018/06/17/f2df517a-7287-11e8-9780-b1dd6a09b549_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fd0e02e750df) opinion piece that critiqued the separation of migrant families saying: 'Sometimes truth transcends party.'

Barack retweeted his wife's sentiment on Monday, shedding light on the thousands of children ripped from their undocumented parents and detained in isolated centers at the US - Mexico (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/mexico/index.html) border.

The Obamas are speaking out against Donald Trump's zero tolerance immigration policy where children are being separated from their parents at detention facilities
On Monday Michelle shared Former First Lady Laura Bush's Washington Post op-ed piece where she bashed Trump's zero tolerance policy as 'cruel' and 'immoral'

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/18/21/4D62966A00000578-5858095-image-a-57_1529353007508.jpg

Stronger together: She shared the piece saying: 'Sometimes truth transcends party' Monday
Bush's op-ed called Trump's zero tolerance policy 'cruel' and 'immoral' as she was shocked, along with millions of Americans, to see images of children torn away from their parents.

'I live in a border state. I appreciate the need to enforce and protect our international boundaries, but this zero-tolerance policy is cruel. It is immoral. And it breaks my heart,' Bush wrote.

'Our government should not be in the business of warehousing children in converted box stores or making plans to place them in tent cities in the desert outside of El Paso,' she added.

She then said the detention center and tent cities are eerily reminiscent of Japanese American internment camps, which she dubbed 'one of the most shameful episodes in US history'.

She urged politicians to reunite these separated families.
'If we are truly that country, then it is our obligation to reunite these detained children with their parents — and to stop separating parents and children in the first place,' she said.

Bush's piece shed light on the thousands of children ripped from their undocumented parents crossing the border. Picture above is a two-year-old Honduran asylum seeker being separated from parents

Hillary Clinton also weighed in on the policy. She said on Monday: 'Every human being with a sense of compassion and decency should be outraged.'
Clinton told an awards luncheon for the Women’s Forum of New York, that the White House's explanation is 'an absolute lie.'

The news comes days after the Department of Homeland Security confirmed that 2,000 children have been separated from their parents after crossing the border illegally, according to CNN.

From April 19 to May 31 in 2018 a total of 1,995 minors travelling with 1,940 adults who claimed to be the children's' guardians were separated, according to Department of Homeland Security spokesman Jonathan Hoffman.

The Trump administration maintains that adults crossing the border illegally should be charged with federal crimes instead of referring migrants coming with children to immigration courts.

In her article, Bush described the conditions the detained children live in where workers have been instructed to not pick up or touch the children to comfort them.
'Imagine not being able to pick up a child who is not yet out of diapers,' she wrote.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/18/01/4D5B4B6300000578-0-image-a-36_1529281403511.jpg

Homeland Security chief Kirstjen Nielsen defended the administration in a series of tweets on Sunday, claiming that the administration does not have a policy of separating families

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/18/21/4D486C4800000578-5858095-Trump_has_blamed_the_Democrats_for_failing_to_comp romise_politic-a-70_1529353654586.jpg
+
Trump has blamed the Democrats for failing to compromise politically for family separations

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/18/21/4D5BA03500000578-5858095-Heartbreaking_photos_released_Sunday_showed_inside _of_a_processi-a-59_1529353058174.jpg
+8

Heartbreaking photos released Sunday showed inside of a processing center in Texas where nearly a thousand undocumented immigrant boys are detained

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/18/04/4D5B4B4D00000578-5855183-Border_agents_have_reportedly_been_telling_illegal _immigrant_par-a-32_1529293752480.jpg
+8
Children were seen lying on green mats with foil sheets intended to serve as blankets. This heartbreaking photo shows the children at a Border Patrol processing facility in McAllen, Texas

She also invoked the name and memory of her mother-in-law, former first lady Barbara Bush, who died in April.

In one particularly memorable moment during her tenure almost three decades ago, Barbara Bush spent time with babies who had HIV/AIDS, picking them up and holding them.
'My mother-in-law never viewed her embrace of that fragile child as courageous. She simply saw it as the right thing to do in a world that can be arbitrary, unkind and even cruel,' Bush said.
'She, who after the death of her 3-year-old daughter knew what it was to lose a child, believed that every child is deserving of human kindness, compassion and love,' she added.

It's a rare public admonishment of current administration policy from Bush, who has rarely weighed in on politics since her husband left office.

Neuro
18th June 2018, 05:54 PM
Sure criminals are separated from their children when they go to jail, but if someone crosses the border to claim asylum with their child, that is different. Yes they may have done something that is illegal, but really there is no need to keep them separate from their child. I am sure US could afford to keep them together in a family camp, until their destiny is decided. Probably it would be cheaper anyway.

cheka.
18th June 2018, 06:12 PM
Sure criminals are separated from their children when they go to jail, but if someone crosses the border to claim asylum with their child, that is different. Yes they may have done something that is illegal, but really there is no need to keep them separate from their child. I am sure US could afford to keep them together in a family camp, until their destiny is decided. Probably it would be cheaper anyway.

give them to mexico gov. let them deal with reuniting the children with their families in mexico

Neuro
18th June 2018, 06:23 PM
give them to mexico gov. let them deal with reuniting the children with their families in mexico

Certainly I have no qualms about directly deporting someone who illegally crosses the border. However separating families with young children is a losing battle...

vacuum
18th June 2018, 06:33 PM

Then it goes from "separating families" to "jailing toddlers".

The fact is, the parents are CHOOSING to separate their families by claiming asylum and going through the detention process. They could simply go back across the border and keep their kids. They're choosing to do this.

EE_
18th June 2018, 07:25 PM

Why is no one demanding Mexico stops forcing this invasion on us. We should be at war with Mexico. They are not our friends or allies.

midnight rambler
18th June 2018, 07:27 PM
Why is no one demanding Mexico stops forcing this invasion on us. We should be at war with Mexico. They are not our friends or allies.

The cherry on top is that Meheco is a failed narco state.

Cebu_4_2
18th June 2018, 07:28 PM
They are doing what they can, they have a immense drug cartel that overwhelms the 'law and order' there.

midnight rambler
18th June 2018, 07:49 PM
They are doing what they can, they have a immense drug cartel that overwhelms the 'law and order' there.

All by design. And it's more than one cartel, which shows the 'War on Drugs' is a smashing success (for the designers).

Horn
18th June 2018, 11:28 PM

Its easy enough to charge Mexico to house illegals and their family at the Ritz Hotel w/ room service. Treat them as you would any Mexican President.

You'd see proper globalism then, so its not permissable.

madfranks
19th June 2018, 12:30 AM
Certainly I have no qualms about directly deporting someone who illegally crosses the border. However separating families with young children is a losing battle...
Why do Americans care more about Mexican children then Mexicans do?

vacuum
19th June 2018, 01:11 AM

I mean the whole human sacrifice thing was a big thing down there until europeans stopped it not too long ago.

EE_
19th June 2018, 03:11 AM

In a word...votes!
Democrats are fighting to keep and get more Mexican/brown votes to take back power to finish their destruction of our country.
Republicans are forced to compete for Mexican votes since the Mexican Reconquista is fully in progress taking back the western US.

Neuro
19th June 2018, 04:04 AM
Then it goes from "separating families" to "jailing toddlers".

The fact is, the parents are CHOOSING to separate their families by claiming asylum and going through the detention process. They could simply go back across the border and keep their kids. They're choosing to do this.
Sure. I can see that from a PR perspective “jailing toddlers” wouldn’t be much of an improvement. And I am aware that the parents choose this path by applying for asylum. But still I don’t see the point in separating the children from the parents, unless you want to make sure that only people who don’t care much for their children applies.

Keep them in detention together while they await their due process.

Neuro
19th June 2018, 04:26 AM

Maybe because you are better? Or at least used to be...

I have no problem with keeping people who apply for asylum in detention. It is a very reseaonable thing to do, especially considering the results when they are not in detention. But why treat them cruelly while in detention?

I realize another issue at hand is that most of these people jumped the border illegally. This can easily be stopped, when the US starts defending its border. I don’t think too many border jumpers need to get shot, before 99% change the risk benefit analysis, and decide it’s not worth it. The remaining 1% is the ones who should get killed anyway, to the benefit of any society.

Just put up a sign “TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT”. Once they realize that you mean it, very few will be willing to take the risk. Much cheaper than a wall.

midnight rambler
19th June 2018, 07:31 AM
In a word...votes!
Democrats are fighting to keep and get more Mexican/brown votes to take back power to finish their destruction of our country.
Republicans are forced to compete for Mexican votes since the Mexican Reconquista is fully in progress taking back the western US.

It isn't just the western US, messkins are infiltrating EVERYWHERE. One area in Kansas was recently noted for a new 'liberal' dialect of English - http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/15/liberal-accent-discovered-in-kansas-town-with-rising-latino-population.html

vacuum
19th June 2018, 08:27 PM
Wow. 10,000 of the 12,000 children in custody were being trafficked. They weren't even with their parents, they were with strangers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1exA8ik5QI&feature=youtu.be&t=14m44s

BrewTech
19th June 2018, 09:20 PM
'Sometimes truth transcends party'

Sure would be cool if it always did.

Neuro
20th June 2018, 01:32 AM
Wow. 10,000 of the 12,000 children in custody were being trafficked. They weren't even with their parents, they were with strangers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1exA8ik5QI&feature=youtu.be&t=14m44s

And apparently the law prohibits families to remain in custody together...

madfranks
20th June 2018, 07:06 AM
And apparently the law prohibits families to remain in custody together...I'm not sure it really does though, it's just not the norm for kids to be jailed with their parents when their parents break the law. Maybe the best solution is to toss the kids into the clink with mommy and daddy, but like vacuum said earlier in this thread, the narrative would switch from "separating families" to "incarcerating toddlers." It's a lose-lose as far as lefty perception goes, and of course their goal is for them to all be just let free to milk the welfare state even more.

Neuro
20th June 2018, 08:20 AM
Someone claimed on Facebook today that border trespassing was just a misdemeanor... Is that true?

Horn
20th June 2018, 08:43 AM
Someone claimed on Facebook today that border trespassing was just a misdemeanor... Is that true?

I'm not sure, but bet it depends on ability to identify. Many are probably without a passport which could lead to something like a ufo in D.C. airspace and kill onsite.

Joshua01
20th June 2018, 10:25 AM

That's because they read it on 4chan/pol/ so it must be true

Horn
20th June 2018, 10:58 AM
Gotta hand it to Trump for these creative televised communions, I think they go over well.

Whether or not he's the pied piper leading U.S. into "everyother nationess" still is undetermined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z_AoOIoD90

madfranks
20th June 2018, 04:07 PM
I'm not sure, but bet it depends on ability to identify. Many are probably without a passport which could lead to something like a ufo in D.C. airspace and kill onsite.

5 of 6 kids illegally crossing the border say the adults they're with are not their parents. So the actual parents have voluntarily separated themselves from their kids hundreds or thousands of miles away.

Joshua01
20th June 2018, 04:18 PM
5 of 6 kids illegally crossing the border say the adults they're with are not their parents. So the actual parents have voluntarily separated themselves from their kids hundreds or thousands of miles away.

Too bad, don't care....they go back on the next bus! Bubbeye!!!

Cebu_4_2
20th June 2018, 05:31 PM

THis is all leftest propaganda escalated the past few weeks.

Horn
20th June 2018, 05:38 PM

I believe it, teenage boys looking for cheap playstations beat the 30-40% VAT tax and demand price gouging found in Mexico.

Tariff trade wars guarantee a brighter future for everyone. Maybe they'll learn how to build bombs instead of playstation.u