Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Choices, Bad Choices for Sentinel Dogs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

Good Choices, Bad Choices for Sentinel Dogs

I have a Nosy Neighbor situation at my Secure un-disclosed Location.

There are additional details involving a feud that started when 2 neighbors shot each other's dogs, about 10 years ago.

Then one of the neighbors died.

However, the less than mature neighbor has chose to continue the feud with the widow and brother of the deceased.

(that's the short version.)

I want a dog that is super-duper at alerting me when a human being comes onto my property. Also one that stays close to home & doesn't need to be tied up.

Preferably without attacking a visitor, most of the time when that happens it's a friend or a good neighbor.

If the dog gives a false positive by going into a barking frenzy when a deer walks by, that would be less than super-duper.

I don't know how it works with dogs. I imagine that they bark naturally and then some owners reinforce good warning behavior with snacks etc.

I just figure there must be some kinds of dogs that have that Natural Barking Instinct.

Can this kind of behavior I want be trained to some extent ?

My family always had airedale terriers and a fox terrier, and I rarely saw them perform as watchdogs.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

Zinc
    Thanks

Re: Good Choices, Bad Choices for Sentinel Dogs

If you go back to traditional working dogs rolls, the bullmastiff was used for exactly this purpose. Link I found.....

http://www.bestdogtrainer.net/Bullma...as_a_Guard.pdf

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bird dog For This Useful Post:

gunDriller (30th September 2013)

Thanks

A border collie maybe?
    -Hillbilly 8)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hillbilly For This Useful Post:

gunDriller (30th September 2013)

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,820 Times in 2,262 Posts

Well, if you want dogs that bark all the time, you can take my neighbor's dogs. Please.

Thanks

A Rhodesian Ridgeback is a great choice. Mine took his job seriously and didn't need to be tied up. He bit two friends that hopped my front gate but they were warning bites. He passed in May and I'm down to one Weimaraner who has the same characteristics but he's not normal for the breed and isn't hyper

Zinc
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by milehi View Post
    A Rhodesian Ridgeback is a great choice. Mine took his job seriously and didn't need to be tied up. He bit two friends that hopped my front gate but they were warning bites. He passed in May and I'm down to one Weimaraner who has the same characteristics but he's not normal for the breed and isn't hyper
    That would be a good breed too. Anything that can take down a lion is serious stuff.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
    That would be a good breed too. Anything that can take down a lion is serious stuff.....
    If you live in the sticks like I do, you're going to want a dog large enough to bleed a couple pints and survive.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,161 Posts

I admit I'm partial but Newfoundlands are my favorite breed and seem suitable for your wants/needs. If you live in colder climates and there's water around then thats a big bonus too. Do some research, maybe it's a good choice?
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies"...Ron Paul
    "A government is a bunch of people, usually, notably ungoverned"...
    Shepherd Book, Firefly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 999 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    A border collie maybe?
    Border Collies are super smart and loyal and bond to one owner. They make great farm dogs. But remember, whatever working dog you decide on getting, they need a full time job... which means they need to be trained...which means you need to learn how to train them. You need to spend a great deal of time and intelligence with them when they're pups. Otherwise, if they're left lonely and bored, they become neurotic and unhappy.
    "Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they found it."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    Border Collies are super smart and loyal and bond to one owner. They make great farm dogs. But remember, whatever working dog you decide on getting, they need a full time job... which means they need to be trained...which means you need to learn how to train them. You need to spend a great deal of time and intelligence with them when they're pups. Otherwise, if they're left lonely and bored, they become neurotic and unhappy.
    My dog goes everywhere with me. Even work. He also is trained and responds to both voice and hand commands. Hes so well behaved for a one year old I'm considering getting him a service vest of ebay so I can take him inside anywhere I have to go