Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: South Dakota passes constitutional concealed carry

Thanks
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 1,979 Posts

South Dakota passes constitutional concealed carry

I've been working with the Gun Owners of South Dakota for a lot of years trying to get this bill passed. It's passed twice but our asshole, communist former governor vetoed it twice, the son of a bitch.

Noem signs no-permit concealed-carry gun bill into SD law

• Del Bartels Capitol Bureau
    • Feb 1, 2019 Updated 15 hrs ago

Governor Kristi Noem used the ‘constitutional carry’ or ‘permitless carry’ bill as her first-ever signing of a bill into law. The Capitol rotunda was filled with legislators and other citizens, January 31, to witness the historic event, and to hear Noem’s words.

“It’s been debated; it’s been vetted; to lawfully carry a firearm for self defense … one covered by a coat or in a handbag,” Noem said. “Permit or permitless, this gives South Dakotans freedom to choose the best system that works for them.”

During the signing ceremony of Senate Bill 47, she added that citizens still have to fulfill the legal requirements of who can own, carry, and conceal a firearm. Noem said many South Dakotans still will obtain a concealed-carry permit to allow them to carry in other states with reciprocal agreements.

The law making it legal to carry a concealed gun in the state without a permit will go into effect July 1.

We are all travelers through this world
    Birth till Death
    We travel between the Eternities. Robert Duval as Print Ritter "The Broken Trail"

I believe the DSCI christians know and speak the truth
    https://christogenea.org

The old coyote senses danger and sinks into the grass.
    He cannot be seen but he watches and waits. Author unknown

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tumbleweed For This Useful Post:

Bigjon (13th November 2019),Jewboo (2nd February 2019),midnight rambler (2nd February 2019),monty (3rd February 2019)

Palladium
    Thanks

Re: South Dakota passes constitutional concealed carry

And how does this effect reciprocity? Otherwise, good job guys.
    Boycott Israel now, avoid the rush.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to latemetal1 For This Useful Post:

Tumbleweed (2nd February 2019)

Brew Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by latemetal1 View Post
    And how does this effect reciprocity? Otherwise, good job gys.
    Hey, show the Guv some respect, you misogynist!

By way of decoction, thou shalt do wort.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BrewTech For This Useful Post:

Hitch (2nd February 2019),Jewboo (2nd February 2019),latemetal1 (2nd February 2019),midnight rambler (2nd February 2019),Tumbleweed (2nd February 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by latemetal1 View Post
    And how does this effect reciprocity?
    I don't think it has any effect on the reciprocity agreements. Reciprocity is mentioned in the article below.

https://ktla.com/2019/02/01/south-da...hout-a-permit/

In signing the legislation Thursday, Gov. Kristi Noem made her state the latest to allow the practice. It’s the first bill she’s signed into law since she took office last month.
    The legislation, which will go into effect on July 1, is designed to “protect the Second Amendment rights of South Dakotans by allowing constitutional carry,” she said.
    “More than 230 years ago, the Founding Fathers of our country penned the Constitution that has since laid the framework for centuries of policies,” the Republican governor said.
    “They so firmly believed in the importance of the freedom to bear arms that they enshrined it into the Constitution’s Second Amendment.”
    Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia and Wyoming also do not require a permit to carry a concealed weapon, the National Rifle Association and the National Conference of State Legislatures said.
    The Argus Leader, a daily newspaper based in Sioux Falls, quotes the governor as saying a “robust and thoughtful process” of debate resulted in the passage of the measure.
    She says the law still maintains “restrictions… on who can carry a concealed handgun” and residents can decide for themselves whether to get a permit, according to the newspaper.
    “A common sense measure”

The National Rifle Association applauded the new law as a reasonable move that enhances legislation already on the books.
    The state already recognizes the right to carry a firearm openly without a permit, the NRA said.
    “Current law, however, requires a state-issued permit to carry that same firearm under a coat or in a bag. This new law simply extends the current open carry rule to concealed carry. Those who obtain permits will still enjoy the reciprocity agreements that South Dakota has with other states.”
    Chris W. Cox, executive director of the group’s Institute for Legislative Action, thanked Noem “for her leadership on this critical issue.”
    “This law is a common sense measure that allows law-abiding South Dakotans to exercise their fundamental right to self-protection in the manner that best suits their needs.”
    Birth till Death
    We travel between the Eternities. Robert Duval as Print Ritter "The Broken Trail"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tumbleweed For This Useful Post:

Jewboo (2nd February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post

Governor Kristi Noem used the ‘constitutional carry’ or ‘permitless carry’ bill as her first-ever signing of a bill into law.
    According to her Wikipedia she appears exceptional Tumbleweed. We also have permitless carry in Idaho.

I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

monty (3rd February 2019),Tumbleweed (2nd February 2019)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Question, if on my travels I find myself in South Dakota, or Idaho, can I conceal carry as well? Or, does this only apply to residents. I'm from CA.
    life is good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    Question, if on my travels I find myself in South Dakota, or Idaho, can I conceal carry as well? Or, does this only apply to residents. I'm from CA.
    I think it applies to everyone that enters the state and not just residents but I'm waiting for clarification on that. Hundreds of thousands of bikers come in to the state for the motorcycle rally every year and I'm sure they'll be wondering about this too. There was a study done in the past and it was estimated that about 80% of them were armed whether it was legal or not. There have been some shootouts over the years. It's best to be armed. I always am.
    Birth till Death

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tumbleweed For This Useful Post:

Hitch (2nd February 2019),Jewboo (2nd February 2019),monty (3rd February 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jewboo View Post
    According to her Wikipedia she appears exceptional Tumbleweed. We also have permitless carry in Idaho.

She does work pretty hard for the ranchers and has been around visiting with them over the years. She's pretty conservative it seems to me and I voted for her for governor.

I've always packed a gun when I've been in Idaho but never had any problems there.
    Birth till Death

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tumbleweed For This Useful Post:

Jewboo (2nd February 2019),monty (3rd February 2019)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    I think it applies to everyone that enters the state and not just residents but I'm waiting for clarification on that. Hundreds of thousands of bikers come in to the state for the motorcycle rally every year and I'm sure they'll be wondering about this too. There was a study done in the past and it was estimated that about 80% of them were armed whether it was legal or not. There have been some shootouts over the years. It's best to be armed. I always am.
    In CA, to get a CCW. I first pay $133 and fill out an application, which goes to an initial background investigation. I then get fingerprinted, and my background gets reviewed. I then go in person to a pass a physical interview. If I pass that...then the full background investigation begins. I pay another $150 for a psychological assesment. I go to a medical evaluation after that, and need to pass that.

After all that...a sheriff will meet with me, visit my home, talk to my family, and make the decision. If a No is given, I'm not refunded my money. A no can be given for any reason, such as he didn't get his morning coffee and was grumpy.

It takes a minimum of 90 days to go through all that. And, if accepted, it's only good for 2 years, and you have to go through all that BS again.

But, they are kind enough to say "your patience is appreciated during this time."
    life is good.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

BrewTech (2nd February 2019),Jewboo (2nd February 2019),monty (3rd February 2019),Tumbleweed (3rd February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

You still mad at me Pete?

I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

Hitch (2nd February 2019)