Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: South Dakota passes constitutional concealed carry

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Re: South Dakota passes constitutional concealed carry

Quote Originally Posted by Jewboo View Post

You still mad at me Pete?

Don't know....I haven't passed the psychological background check for my CCW yet, here in CA. I'm sure they will find something I may be mad at.
    life is good.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

BrewTech (2nd February 2019),Jewboo (2nd February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

Don't know....I haven't passed the psychological background check for my CCW yet, here in CA. I'm sure they will find something I may be mad at.

You waited too long to beat me up Pete. I'm now seventy.

How 'bout I pay your bar tab with my Social Security Retirement check instead?

I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

Iridium
    Thanks

You waited too long to beat me up Pete. I'm now seventy.

How 'bout I pay your bar tab with my Social Security Retirement check instead?

I do vaguely recall a few "good natured" insults sent your way over the years, maybe a loosely interpreted threat..but I figured bygones. I'm getting older too, you know. By the way, congrats on 70. Hope you did something special to celebrate.
    life is good.

Thanks

I do vaguely recall a few "good natured" insults sent your way over the years, maybe a loosely interpreted threat..but I figured bygones. I'm getting older too, you know. By the way, congrats on 70. Hope you did something special to celebrate.

In hindsight I was a dick. I apologize Pete and owe you the beer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

Hitch (2nd February 2019)

Iridium
    Thanks

In hindsight I was a dick. I apologize Pete and owe you the beer.

You wanted to share knowledge, in a tough way. Lot's of us on this forum thank you for that, Book. You are, and have always been, the real deal.

Our society is becoming soft. Men like you are a breath of fresh air, imo. We are all walking on egg shells these days, worried about offending folks.

I would drink a beer with you anytime. Cheers.
    life is good.

Thanks

You wanted to share knowledge, in a tough way. Lot's of us on this forum thank you for that, Book. You are, and have always been, the real deal.

Our society is becoming soft. Men like you are a breath of fresh air, imo. We are all walking on egg shells these days, worried about offending folks.

I would drink a beer with you anytime. Cheers.

Thanks, Pete, but I went too far sometimes.

Thanks

Question, if on my travels I find myself in South Dakota, or Idaho, can I conceal carry as well? Or, does this only apply to residents. I'm from CA.
    Concealed Weapons

LINK

As of July 1, 2016, Idaho statute allows residents 21 years of age, not disqualified from having a permit, to carry a concealed firearm statewide without a permit. Permitless carry is already legal outside of city limits for individuals 18 or older, and open carry is currently legal within city limits.

A person does not have to have a concealed weapons license to carry or be in possession of a deadly weapon or firearm in the following circumstances:

• Any deadly weapon located in plain view;
    • Any lawfully possessed shotgun or rifle;
    • A firearm that is not loaded and is concealed in a motor vehicle;
    • A firearm that is not loaded and is secured in a case;
    • A firearm that is disassembled or permanently altered such that it is not readily operable; and
    • A concealed handgun by a person who is:
      • Over twenty-one (21) years of age;
      • A resident of Idaho; and
      • Is not disqualified from being issued a license under subsection (11) of this section

Thanks
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 1,979 Posts

In CA, to get a CCW. I first pay $133 and fill out an application, which goes to an initial background investigation. I then get fingerprinted, and my background gets reviewed. I then go in person to a pass a physical interview. If I pass that...then the full background investigation begins. I pay another $150 for a psychological assesment. I go to a medical evaluation after that, and need to pass that.

After all that...a sheriff will meet with me, visit my home, talk to my family, and make the decision. If a No is given, I'm not refunded my money. A no can be given for any reason, such as he didn't get his morning coffee and was grumpy.

It takes a minimum of 90 days to go through all that. And, if accepted, it's only good for 2 years, and you have to go through all that BS again.

But, they are kind enough to say "your patience is appreciated during this time."

To get a concealed carry permit here you fill out a form like the one you do when you buy a gun and give them them ten dollars. They do a call in background check to see if you're a criminal then issue a permit.
    We are all travelers through this world
    Birth till Death
    We travel between the Eternities. Robert Duval as Print Ritter "The Broken Trail"

I believe the DSCI christians know and speak the truth
    https://christogenea.org

The old coyote senses danger and sinks into the grass.
    He cannot be seen but he watches and waits. Author unknown

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tumbleweed For This Useful Post:

Jewboo (3rd February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,310 Posts

If you live in a state that doesn't require a permit for concealed carry, you still have to get one to travel out of state. I already had my Montana CWP when they passed the legal carry law a few years ago. I kept and renewed my CWP in case I travel to states that reciprocate with Montana.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoarder For This Useful Post:

Jewboo (3rd February 2019),Tumbleweed (3rd February 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoarder View Post
    If you live in a state that doesn't require a permit for concealed carry, you still have to get one to travel out of state. I already had my Montana CWP when they passed the legal carry law a few years ago. I kept and renewed my CWP in case I travel to states that reciprocate with Montana.

Idaho’s standard concealed carry permit, which requires only a basic classroom-based firearm safety course and a background check — no range time — hasn’t gone away.But Debbie McRae, supervisor at Canyon County’s Department of Motor Vehicles, where concealed weapon license applications are processed, said applications for the standard license have been on a downward trend since the enhanced license was introduced last July.

In terms of raw numbers, she said, the standard permit remains more popular with 850 applications since July 1, 2013, compared to 478 for the enhanced. But in recent months, the enhanced license has begun to overtake the standard in number of applications per month.That’s not including the 1,475 renewal applications processed in the past year, McRae said — all of which are for the standard permit. The enhanced license hasn’t been around long enough to require renewals.

“We’re really starting to see an increase in (enhanced license applications),” McRae said. “I think one of the biggest hindrances is the cost of the training. And currently there are only five additional states that recognize the enhanced, and so people are weighing their options. Is it worth $150 to take the training just to go to five additional states? And there’s really only two states that are close.”

Within Idaho’s borders, the enhanced license grants only one privilege not afforded to standard permit holders: As of July 1, under the state’s new “guns on campus” legislation, those with the enhanced license may carry a firearm onto public university campuses in some areas.

The biggest advantage, according to Deputy Attorney General Stephanie Altig, is that they can carry a concealed weapon in five additional states: Nevada, New Mexico, South Carolina, Virginia and Washington. That’s in addition to the 26 states that already recognize Idaho’s standard license.

The rule of thumb, she said — though there are exceptions — is that a given state will recognize another state’s license if that state’s license requirements are equal or stricter than its own. The idea is that the enhanced license’s more stringent requirements are more likely to be accepted by other states.Idaho, meanwhile, recognizes concealed weapon licenses from issued by all states, Altig said, as long as the permit is valid and the holder has the card on their person.Increased reciprocity with other states was the main reason Idaho created the enhanced license, Altig said, and she considers the five states now on-board as a success. It’s about what she expected, she said, at this stage in the process.

“I knew that there were clusters of states that were just not going to do it,” Altig said. “Like California and Oregon. They’re the ones who are saying ‘no’ here. Some of them sort of surprised me. I’m not sure what Minnesota’s problem was. But there’s nothing I can do to convince them otherwise, because their state laws are what they are. ”The requirements for Minnesota’s concealed weapon license — the only level the state offers — are similar to Idaho’s standard permit, according to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety website.But Idaho officials will not stop there, Altig said. Just because a state said “no” the first time around — or didn’t respond at all — doesn’t mean the Attorney General’s office will just give up.After all, Altig said, they never know what might change on another state’s end. Its laws might change, or its officials might review and reconsider Idaho’s proposal.

Linky

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

hoarder (3rd February 2019),Tumbleweed (3rd February 2019)