Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $1,000/month to 'struggling Chicagoans' no strings attached

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

$1,000/month to 'struggling Chicagoans' no strings attached

$1,000/month is a good start, eventually it will be $1,500, then $2,000, then...

What could go wrong??

https://abc7chicago.com/5127392/
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

2. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

cheka. (8th February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 4,272 Posts

Re: $1,000/month to 'struggling Chicagoans' no strings attached

Perfect. As if food stamps and welfare not enough this should surely break the poverty cycle. Just imagine if someone wanted to work this would all instantly disappear. Genius.
    Jackie did it and you know it!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cebu_4_2 For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (8th February 2019)

Palladium
    Thanks

The Banker boys want an increase in the money velocity for some reason, rich people don't spend it fast enough...
    Boycott Israel now, avoid the rush.

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote from the article..

"CHICAGO (WLS) -- Some Chicago families could start collecting a $1,000 check every month with no strings attached. That's the new proposal from a task force created by Mayor Emanuel.

The idea is to break the cycle of poverty. The pilot program would give 1,000 struggling Chicagoans $1,000 a month"

I bolded the important part. I doubt "some Chicago families" include unemployed homeless white men.

If anyone on this forum can show me proof that I am wrong, I will send you a silver eagle.
    life is good.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

Ares (8th February 2019),midnight rambler (8th February 2019)

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    Quote from the article..

"CHICAGO (WLS) -- Some Chicago families could start collecting a $1,000 check every month with no strings attached. That's the new proposal from a task force created by Mayor Emanuel.

The idea is to break the cycle of poverty. The pilot program would give 1,000 struggling Chicagoans $1,000 a month"

I bolded the important part. I doubt "some Chicago families" include unemployed homeless white men.

If anyone on this forum can show me proof that I am wrong, I will send you a silver eagle.
    Decades ago when I was seriously injured and unable to work I was desperate so I went and applied for food stamps. The nice black lady (I sincerely mean that) handling my application told me: "Your skin is the wrong color (to receive food stamps)." Yes, she literally said exactly that.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

Hitch (8th February 2019),madfranks (9th February 2019),Neuro (10th February 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
    Decades ago when I was seriously injured and unable to work I was desperate so I went and applied for food stamps. The nice black lady (I sincerely mean that) handling my application told me: "Your skin is the wrong color (to receive food stamps)." Yes, she literally said exactly that.
    My dad was pretty much told the same thing back in the early 80s. My parents were struggling financially, and needed assistance. They applied for food stamps and I remember my dad coming home pissed off saying "We're not getting help because we're white."
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Hitch (8th February 2019),midnight rambler (8th February 2019),Neuro (10th February 2019)

Palladium
    Thanks

The Welfare game is a game and you have to know the rules, but unless you are born into it, your screwed. Its like you need an adviser to get help.
    Boycott Israel now, avoid the rush.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to latemetal1 For This Useful Post:

madfranks (9th February 2019),Neuro (10th February 2019)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,001 Posts

we used to laugh at jokes about this. baltimore moving towards discriminatory pricing for water

https://baltimorefishbowl.com/storie...on-would-work/

Council President Young’s income-based water billing legislation

The legislation uses a formula, Credit = Bill Total—Income x Affordability Threshold, for drawing up a household’s “Water-for-All Credit,” tied to how close they are to the federal poverty level. If they make 50 percent or less of the poverty limit, the affordability threshold in that equation is 1 percent; for those making between 50 and 100 percent of the threshold, it’s 2 percent; and for households making more than 100 percent, but less than 200 percent of the poverty level, it’s 3 percent.

We realize that’s not that clear, so let’s plug this into some examples. For a family of four, the federal poverty limit is $25,100. If they earn 50 percent of that amount, or $12,550, and have an annual water bill total of $860 (the average for 2018, Young’s office said in a legislative analysis report), they would receive a yearly credit of $734.50, or $61.20 off of their monthly water and sewer bill.

If they make 75 percent of the federal poverty level, or $18,825, they would get a credit of $483.50, or $40.29 per month.

And if they make just over 100 percent of the limit—let’s say $25,200—they would receive an annual credit of $104, or $8.67 per month.

And what’s more: Each monthly payment under the plan would be double-counted to help cut down a customer’s outstanding debt. So, if a household paid $100 for their monthly bill, $100 would also be knocked off of the total they owe to the city.

Great Value Carrots StreetsOfGold's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    Some Chicago families
    It's always been this way, the whites HAVE to help out the blacks, they can't make it on their own without "WHITEY'S" help and deep down inside they know it and some resent it.
    Murder was the Catholic answer - Pope Francis

Thanks

I thought the Illinois Gov was in extreme financial disrepair?
    "Is it really a crime to report that the government is committing a crime?"