Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flat Earth dis-info cover up

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Re: Flat Earth dis-info cover up

Quote Originally Posted by mamboni View Post
    Unbelievable willful ignorance! You can't even distinguish between theory and observation when it's placed in front of your nose! What colossal ignorance!
    I use the curvature of the earth to fix my position out at sea. It's not theory or observation, it's personal experience!

It works. I don't think there's anyone alive who works in the maritime industry, who believes the flat earth BS.
    life is good.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

Bigjon (22nd March 2019),midnight rambler (22nd March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    I use the curvature of the earth to fix my position out at sea. It's not theory or observation, it's personal experience!

It works. I don't think there's anyone alive who works in the maritime industry, who believes the flat earth BS.
    You're joking or a fool. Nautical maps, like all such maps, are FLAT! Nowhere does the supposed curvature of the earth factor into sea navigation. You're FOS.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

Iridium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mamboni View Post
    You're joking or a fool. Nautical maps, like all such maps, are FLAT! Nowhere does the supposed curvature of the earth factor into sea navigation. You're FOS.
    Watch the video I posted. You just showed me you didn't even bother watching it, before attacking my navigation methods. Typical flat earther tactic.
    life is good.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

Bigjon (22nd March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 3,216 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

I'll watch the vid above. Would you happen to have any links to the maritime formulas?
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 3,216 Posts

Watched the vid.

I disagree with the using nautical miles. The supposed radius/curvature of the Earth are in statute miles. Unless the calculations used are converting radius/curvature to nautical miles.

Using the Metabunk chart which is totally anti Flat Earth, with a view height of 10', the hidden distance is 143' at a 20 mile distance. All statute miles.

https://www.metabunk.org/curve/

The Captain in the vid was viewing an 85' tall lighthouse. So... What am I doing wrong?
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

Iridium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by osoab View Post
    I'll watch the vid above. Would you happen to have any links to the maritime formulas?
    The geographical range is calculated according to the following formula: P = 2.08 x (√H + √E)where:P = geographical range in nautical miles H = height of light from sea level in metres E= height of observer’s eye from sea level in metres

http://www.cosema.biz/eng/RANGE%20OF...L%20LIGHTS.pdf
    life is good.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

osoab (22nd March 2019)

Iridium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by osoab View Post

I disagree with the using nautical miles. The supposed radius/curvature of the Earth are in statute miles. Unless the calculations used are converting radius/curvature to nautical miles.
    Nautical miles don't account for the curvature of the earth, it's a fixed number. Nautical miles refer to latitude degrees and minutes, where longitude reflects the curvature of the earth. This is how the old sailors did it.

Latitude (north/south), if you sailed one degree say latitude 30 to 31, you sailed 60 nautical miles North, ie sixty minutes. There are sixty nautical miles per degree of latitude, measured in minutes. That, is a fixed distance.

Your longitude decreases however the farther north you go from the equator. You plot your compass coarse based upon both numbers.

That's how you dead reckon a vessel at sea. By successfully dead reckoning a vessel, you prove (to yourself at least) flat earthers are wrong.

Some time in the future, we will have to go back to the old ways of navigating. Get comfortable with a compass. If you can find where you are at, on land and sea, without electronics, you will be OK. People who believe in flat earth, will be lost without youtube or the internet to help them with their delusions.
    life is good.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (24th March 2019)