Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $18 HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,260 Posts

Re: $18 HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Jewboo View Post
    THESE GUYS HAVE NO SCIENCE EDUCATION AND DON'T APPEAR TO EVEN HAVE A LAB?

"Mike holds a B.A. in Consumer Behavior & Globalization"

"Greg holds a B.S. in Business Administration"

I am starting to not trust any of these supplements and vitamins. Some are worthless and the body cannot assimilate them and others are dangerous or can be for some people who don't tolerate them well. Reading the reviews is perhaps futile as there is no way to know if they are truly objective.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

2. The Following User Says Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

Jewboo (14th April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mamboni View Post
    This tester is included with the Zero water filter: http://tinyurl.com/y65cymcn $34.99

Filters aren't cheap but produce several dozen or more gallons, depending on tap water quality. Typical output is 0 ppm. Maker recommends changing filter when detecting 3-5 ppm. My filters last a couple of months.

When I tested tap water (~150 ppm IIRC) after filtering through a Brita, the ppm was unchanged!!!
    I also tossed my Culligan faucet filter after it tested the SAME as my tap water.

I just bought the ZeroWater 8-Cup Water Filtration Pitcher. It does indeed reduce my 49ppm tap water down to 0ppm. I'm curious to see how long this filter lasts with my modest half-gallon daily usage. BTW...the included free ZeroWater tester does have replaceable batteries and measures with the same accuracy as my existing $18 tester mentioned in the OP.

who knew?............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........................................Mamboni
    I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

mamboni (27th July 2019),midnight rambler (26th July 2019),PatColo (26th July 2019),woodman (26th July 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

Last year I became interested in "alkalized water" IE higher pH than tap, with supposed heath bene's U can search up.

Bought an alkalizing water bottle: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=alkaline+water+bottle - these all work the same, have an element inside containing mineral/rock pebbles, which raise water's pH with contact.

My bottle's 750 ML, & with 30+ minutes in the bottle (+ a few shakes during), my local tap water goes from mid 7s to low/mid 9s.

A digital pH tester is sort of a must have accessory, for the "hobbyist" in you + verifying the before/aft pH of your water, + knowing when ur alkalizing water bottle element needs replacement. They're cheap, around $13. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ph+tester+digital

What I'm curious about is -- what's the before/aft pH of "Zero Water", as the TDS which Zero filter removes, are presumably many of the same dissolved minerals which give it any pH?!

Anyone? Mamboni/Jooboo?? Yous needs to fetch digital pH testers, & do some playing... lemme know! Maybe also fetch an alkalizing bottle - test pH of ur Zero water, then 'alkalize' in bottle, test pH again, then run through Zero filter again & pH test... knowhatamean?

It's the "healthy minerals/trace elements" which we're jerking around here, between Zero TDS water, & post alkalized water (whether via alkalizing bottle, or Mamboni's added supplement).

Also, are "dissolved gasses" (chlorine!) measured as TDS? Fluoride?
    FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatColo View Post
    Bought an alkalizing water bottle: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=alkaline+water+bottle - these all work the same, have an element inside containing mineral/rock pebbles, which raise water's pH with contact.
    If anyone here decides to shop for one of those alkalizing water bottles, main thing is, do the math on their replacement filter cost, vs expected liter/quart/gallon life expectancy, & figure price per (volume/unit).

One ripoff I narrowly avoided was this dog: https://www.amazon.com/REVIVE-Alkali.../dp/B07NRMGJWV

It temptingly claims to 'filter' AND alkalize! Repeatedly abuses the word "removes..." in their desc; "removes X,Y,Z badees" -- when in fact the best it can do is REDUCE, probably very slightly, any said badees, given its design, where the element merely co-mingles with the water, & presumably absorbs badees which actually come in contact w the 'filter' media, which is mixed together with the alkalizing pebbles. But a proper "filter" forces every single drop/molecule of H2O laboriously through the filter media... this turd does far from that!!

Then I got to looking at expected "filter/alkalizing element" lifespan, which they laughably tout as "Each Filter has a MASSIVE 255 Cup/16 Gallon/60 Litre capacity" -- yes they went ALL CAPS on that "MASSIVE" BS. So, will last 1 person at .5 gallon day, about 1 month... fine. So how much for replacement elements?
    https://www.amazon.com/Invigorated-W.../dp/B07PX2QHPY
    $10/ea. So, 1000 cents, divided by 16 gallons, = 62.5 cents/gallon !?!?

Need I say more? BS "filtering" purely for marketing sizzle, leaving their less diligent buyer-dupes with false 'security' of filter 'removing' badees; obscene $PPG for their replacement elements... total racket! Plus they're cheap/plastic bottle which is ~$40; they tout "NO BPA plastic" but how are we supposed to 'test' that claim from these shysters?

I ended up getting a different alkalizing bottle a year ago, which I don't see for sale there anymore. 750ml; all "surgical stainless steel" (with outer silicon sleeve for grip); only touted its alkalizing function with element $/lifespan working out to ~14 cents/gallon. Initial bottle price ~$40. You put water in there which is already filtered with a PROPER/REAL water filter.

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

I think one of the best methods of determining water quality is by taste and smell. If it tastes good it probably is. The tap water we have in our town in Sweden is very good tasting, much better than the filtered tap water I get in Istanbul. And I am using a very advanced and expensive water filter. Earlier I used an alkalysing water filter, both were good but none measures up to the quality of the Swedish tap water IMO. No fluoridation in Sweden, and plenty of access to fresh water from lakes, rivers and wells.

Another issue though because Sweden’s population has increased a lot the last couple of decades, mostly with people who is not particularly concerned with water preservation, we are experiencing shortages in some locations because the water grid is underdimensioned, likewise with the electric grid. I suppose the native Swedes could be coerced into saving more...
    Cultural Marxism: -The idea that good, hard working, white people should pay for those who are not, and thus in the name of equality create the conditions for their own genetic annihilation

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neuro For This Useful Post:

PatColo (27th July 2019)

Thanks

as far as "design" for a filter/alkalizer combo, this countertop jobee looks ideal: https://www.amazon.com/Santevia-Wate.../dp/B00BM7A23K

5 stage gravity filter, then water comes to rest in lowest compartment which has a bed of alkalizing mineral stones, where water sits indefinitely (pH should gradually rise) til you use it. Touts 2.5 cents/liter cost, aka ~10 cents/gallon.

Their mineral stones https://www.amazon.com/Santevia-Wate.../dp/B003T46666 ($34) tout a lifespan of 2-3 years; recommending boiling them every ~6 months.

Not "recommending them", just found them surfing related products @ amzn. Never heard of them b4, but design certainly looks ideal, as REAL filter + 'natural' alkalizing.

Also notiiced this: https://www.amazon.com/EHM-Alkaline-.../dp/B017KXDVY6 - stainless steel mesh encased mineral stones, which you just throw in whatever water container you already have. About $4/each, lifespan ~90 liters (24 gal's) so ~17 cents/gallon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jewboo View Post
    I also tossed my Culligan faucet filter after it tested the SAME as my tap water.

I just bought the ZeroWater 8-Cup Water Filtration Pitcher. It does indeed reduce my 49ppm tap water down to 0ppm. I'm curious to see how long this filter lasts with my modest half-gallon daily usage. BTW...the included free ZeroWater tester does have replaceable batteries and measures with the same accuracy as my existing $18 tester mentioned in the OP.

who knew?............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........................................Mamboni
    ZeroWater Filter Status Report 10-06-2019

My Boise tap water is already a very good and tasteless 50ppm.

New ZeroWater filter read 0ppm on first day 07-26-19 until today when it now reads 2ppm. Last week it still read 0ppm. Water remains tasteless at 2ppm and ZeroWater themselves say don’t replace the filter until it reads 6ppm. I impatiently did this early to verify that the replacement filters I bought from Walmart are actually genuine ZeroWater and not counterfeit like the many complaints at Amazon. The new replacement does appear identical to the original factory filter and labeled assembled in Mexico. It should therefore start eventually reading 2ppm just like the original at 72 days:

72 days = 72 gallons filtered by $10.00 filter = less than fifteen cents per gallon. A lot cheaper and much more pure than plastic-bottled water.

My guess is that the cheapo plastic/spring spigot on these pitchers will only last six months so that’s another $30 per year in addition to the filter cost. Per year at one gallon daily this works out to around ballpark two $25 Pitchers with filter and three additional $10 replacement filters for a total annual cost of $80.

With all the coffee I drink it still surprised me that I regularly consume a gallon of water daily. After a couple of days, it became routine that I refill the Pitcher right after drawing water...the filter never dries out.

ZeroWater is working for me

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

PatColo (6th October 2019)

Thanks

Taking the zero water plunge; got their little 26oz tumbler on the way
    https://www.zerowater.com/products-tumblers.php

Plus getting their TDS tester, $17.

So next week I'll have lots to say re my pH questions above, + will be interested in seeing TDS results after just my little hand pumped Katadyn Vario filter (ceramic +fiberglass +carbon)
    https://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Techn...dp/B000KUVVY4/

Will finally know what happens to pH from tap water to post zero water, then again after raising pH to >9 via alkalizing element exposure...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PatColo For This Useful Post:

Jewboo (19th October 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatColo View Post
    Taking the zero water plunge; got their little 26oz tumbler on the way
    https://www.zerowater.com/products-tumblers.php
    comment from an owner on your link:

The average filter life for the portable filter is 3-5 gallons.
    I drink around a gallon of water per day including my coffee water. My $10 pitcher filter posted above is good for 72+ gallons. What does your replacement filter cost?

My $25 pitcher comes with the meter and a 72+ gallon filter.

BTW...the replacement filters I bought from Walmart posted above ARE the real authentic ZeroWater filters and only cost $10 each.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 1,979 Posts

I don't monitor my drinking water from my well but I just checked it and it's 2200 ppm. I do check the water the cattle are drinking because it can cause them to not gain weight, lose weight or kill them. There are a lot of sulphates in the water where I live and that can cause the brain to swell and polio like symptoms. When the sulphates get high enough the water gets bitter and the cattle won't drink it if there is better water available.

I had checked a creek that runs through my land a few years ago and it tested at 10,800 and that was killing cattle up stream.
    We are all travelers through this world
    Birth till Death
    We travel between the Eternities. Robert Duval as Print Ritter "The Broken Trail"

I believe the DSCI christians know and speak the truth
    https://christogenea.org

The old coyote senses danger and sinks into the grass.
    He cannot be seen but he watches and waits. Author unknown