Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TEST: Is Your Browser Safe Against TRACKING ?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

TEST: Is Your Browser Safe Against TRACKING ?

Useful test. My Chromium browser totally failed while my Firefox browser with NoScript and AdBlock Plus totally blocked the evil trackers.

I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

cheka. (15th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,345 Posts

Re: TEST: Is Your Browser Safe Against TRACKING ?

Her is what Dissenter (from Gab) scored:

Our tests indicate that you have strong protection against Web tracking, though your software isn’t checking for Do Not Track policies.

Dissenter is nice, really snappy action. Chrome, Firefox, etc. lag a lot.
    "What Difference, at this time, does it make?"

"What is 'is'?"

"Because you'd be in jail"

Thanks
    Thanked 8,331 Times in 5,107 Posts

Brave browser: Our tests indicate that you have strong protection against Web tracking, though your software isn’t checking for Do Not Track policies.

The only thing declared necessary in the Constitution & Bill of Rights is the #2A Militia of the several States.
    “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a freeState”
    https://ConstitutionalMilitia.org

Electrum
    Thanks

Your browser has a nearly-unique fingerprint

One in 93,000. Tried to install trace on my firefox - it made the fingerprinting even worse.

Does anybody know how to stop firefox from leaking private stuff through http headers?

By the way, look at this post on mozilla blog - https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2021/0...deplatforming/

Mozilla, that owns firefox is a communist org, which is completely against freedom.

I wish I could move to another browser, but I don't know any good one.

Brave is Chromium ( google ) derived - so I don't trust it.

Electrum
    Thanks

Changed firefox prefs -

privacy.resistFingerprinting to true
    webgl.disabled to true
    media.peerconnection.enabled to false
    geo.enabled to false
    privacy.firstparty.isolate to true

That made it even worse

Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 279,240 tested in the past 45 days.

I don't know what else to do

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jcismylord View Post
    Changed firefox prefs -
    privacy.resistFingerprinting to true
    webgl.disabled to true
    media.peerconnection.enabled to false
    geo.enabled to false
    privacy.firstparty.isolate to true

That made it even worse

Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 279,240 tested in the past 45 days.

I don't know what else to do
    Opera?
    The only thing declared necessary in the Constitution & Bill of Rights is the #2A Militia of the several States.

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,001 Posts

fox

Our tests indicate that you have strong protection against Web tracking, though your software isn’t checking for Do Not Track policies.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcismylord View Post
    Brave is Chromium ( google ) derived - so I don't trust it.
    my understanding is, Brave founder fell out with google (or was it mozilla?) & struck out on his own to make a privacy oriented browser.

I've been on brave for... almost 2 years? Happy with it, though once in a while I find a bug, page won't load right.... also does weird things with copy/pastes from places like Mami's -- it keeps the black background & white text colors, & I need to go through & edit so it's readable here.
    FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PatColo For This Useful Post:

jcismylord (19th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

Should you keep using WhatsApp? Plus five tips to start the year with your digital privacy intact

We spoke to convicted hacker turned security consultant Kevin Mitnick to find out how to maintain your security online

Security expert Kevin Mitnick’s top tip for protecting your privacy online is use a password manager. Photograph: Dominic Lipinski/PA

Shelley Hepworth
    @shelleymiranda

Fri 15 Jan 2021 14.00 EST

I
    f you use the popular messaging service WhatsApp you may have noticed a pop-up message in recent days asking you to accept the service’s new terms and conditions by 8 February in order to continue using it.

The update has prompted calls for users to leave the popular messaging service in favour of alternatives such as Signal and Telegram. And on Friday a legal challenge on privacy grounds was filed against WhatsApp in India, the service’s biggest market. Telegram CEO Pavel Durov has reported an influx of 25 million global users to the rival service since the announcement was made.

Use Signal
    — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) January 7, 2021

But what do the new terms and conditions mean for you? We asked former most-wanted hacker turned security consultant Kevin Mitnick which messaging app he prefers – and to share his tips to set yourself up for a cyber-safe 2021.

“I prefer Signal because I know the developer behind the original project, and I know that Signal has been tested in the security community,” Mitnick says. “I believe Telegram has too, and I use Telegram, but not for secure messages.”

You can read WhatsApp’s Q&A about the changes here, but the main thing to know is that messages remain end-to-end encrypted and WhatsApp maintains that neither it, nor anyone else, has access to the content of messages between friends, family and groups. WhatsApp also says it doesn’t keep records of your call logs, share your contacts with Facebook and can’t see your shared location.

WhatsApp users are really Facebook customers now – it's getting harder to forget that
    Alex Hern
    Read more

What has changed is privacy around the content of communication between individuals and businesses that use Facebook hosting services, which will now be accessible to those businesses for their own marketing purposes. As the Guardian’s UK technology editor, Alex Hern, points out the changes aren’t huge, but they do mark a step down the road of a long-term plan to integrate the chat app with Facebook.

At the end of the day choosing a messaging app is a personal preference and Mitnick says as long as the service uses end-to-end encryption and its policies protect your privacy you should be OK. Nevertheless, Mitnick says he has “never communicated a secure message over WhatsApp”.

While choosing a messaging service is an important choice, there are other ways you can ensure your digital security. Here are Mitnick’s top five tips for protecting your privacy online.

1. moar @ https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...privacy-intact

FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatColo View Post
    Should you keep using WhatsApp? Plus five tips to start the year with your digital privacy intact

We spoke to convicted hacker turned security consultant Kevin Mitnick to find out how to maintain your security online

Security expert Kevin Mitnick’s top tip for protecting your privacy online is use a password manager. Photograph: Dominic Lipinski/PA

Shelley Hepworth
    @shelleymiranda

Fri 15 Jan 2021 14.00 EST

I
    f you use the popular messaging service WhatsApp you may have noticed a pop-up message in recent days asking you to accept the service’s new terms and conditions by 8 February in order to continue using it.

The update has prompted calls for users to leave the popular messaging service in favour of alternatives such as Signal and Telegram. And on Friday a legal challenge on privacy grounds was filed against WhatsApp in India, the service’s biggest market. Telegram CEO Pavel Durov has reported an influx of 25 million global users to the rival service since the announcement was made.

Use Signal
    — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) January 7, 2021

But what do the new terms and conditions mean for you? We asked former most-wanted hacker turned security consultant Kevin Mitnick which messaging app he prefers – and to share his tips to set yourself up for a cyber-safe 2021.

“I prefer Signal because I know the developer behind the original project, and I know that Signal has been tested in the security community,” Mitnick says. “I believe Telegram has too, and I use Telegram, but not for secure messages.”

You can read WhatsApp’s Q&A about the changes here, but the main thing to know is that messages remain end-to-end encrypted and WhatsApp maintains that neither it, nor anyone else, has access to the content of messages between friends, family and groups. WhatsApp also says it doesn’t keep records of your call logs, share your contacts with Facebook and can’t see your shared location.

WhatsApp users are really Facebook customers now – it's getting harder to forget that
    Alex Hern
    Read more

What has changed is privacy around the content of communication between individuals and businesses that use Facebook hosting services, which will now be accessible to those businesses for their own marketing purposes. As the Guardian’s UK technology editor, Alex Hern, points out the changes aren’t huge, but they do mark a step down the road of a long-term plan to integrate the chat app with Facebook.

At the end of the day choosing a messaging app is a personal preference and Mitnick says as long as the service uses end-to-end encryption and its policies protect your privacy you should be OK. Nevertheless, Mitnick says he has “never communicated a secure message over WhatsApp”.

While choosing a messaging service is an important choice, there are other ways you can ensure your digital security. Here are Mitnick’s top five tips for protecting your privacy online.

1. moar @ https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...privacy-intact

How WhatsApp will Zuck you

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monty For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (19th January 2021),PatColo (17th January 2021)