Thread: Second Largest Silver Mine Suspends Operations

Thanks
    Thanked 7,956 Times in 4,576 Posts

Second Largest Silver Mine Suspends Operations

MORE TROUBLE IN MEXICO: Second Largest Silver Mine Suspends Operations
    by SRSrocco
    Sat, 05/04/2019 - 16:03

By the SRSrocco Report,

In just a little more than a week after the mighty Newmont-Goldcorp merger was finalized, the company suspended operations of its largest gold-silver mine in Mexico. The Penasquito Mine, which produced more than a 500,000 ounces of gold and 25 million ounces of silver in a single year, has been dealing with a blockade of its operations since March 27th.

The blockade was started due to issues with the local community in regards to water supply concerns and problems with a trucking contractor. However, the protests by the local community over water rights have been going on ever since the Penasquito Mine started operations in 2010.

According to the article, Goldcorp using excessive water at Peñasquito mine - critics, research by McGill Research Group, reported that the Penasquito Mine was using three times the amount of water than it originally agreed upon. Furthermore, the large open-pit gold-silver mine, located in the state of Zacatecas, was also consuming three times the amount of water supplied to the entire City of Zacatecas (population 129,000).

To get an idea the amount of water being consumed by the Penasquito Mine, I looked at the data from Goldcorp's most recent Sustainability Report. In 2017, the Penasquito Mine withdrew a staggering 7.9 billion gallons of water to supply its operations for the year. Of that total amount, 93% came from groundwater. That is one hell of a lot of water.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the suspension to end. However, with the election of the new President AMLO of Mexico, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, large foreign mining companies in Mexico may find it increasingly challenging to GET THEIR WAY as they have in the past with the help of pro-mining leaders.

Regardless, the Penasquito Mine produced the second highest amount of silver in Mexico last year:

While Newmont-Goldcorp owns the second largest silver producer in Mexico, Fresnillo PLC runs the other top three primary silver mines, Saucito, Fresnillo, and San Julian. With the suspension of mining operations at Penasquito, that's a potential loss of 18-20 million (Moz) of silver a year.

The real problem at Penasquito comes down the massive amount of water it consumes to process the enormous amount of ore it mines. For example, the Penasquito Mine, which produced 18.3 Moz of silver in 2018, processed a stunning 35.2 million tons of ore to get that silver. Yes, it's true that the Penasquito Mine is mainly a gold producer, but it still provides a great deal of silver.

If we compare the amount of processed ore by the top silver producers in Mexico, it's no wonder why the locals are concerned about the local water supply being consumed by Penasquito.

Free Options Webinar – May 8 at 3:30 PM CT
    On May 8, 3:30 PM CT, join OIC for Option Overwriting for Income. You’ll learn how options can be utilized for potential income generation, as well as strategies for mitigating risk in the event of a downturn. From details about intrinsic value to calculating cost basis, guest speaker Alan Ellman will cover key points. So, join the thousands of investors attending OIC webinars by registering today!

Here we can see that Penasquito, producing 18.2 Moz of silver, processed more ore (35.2 million tons) compared to all the other primary silver miners in the group (11.8 million tons). Thus, the Penasquito Mine processed three times more ore to supply six times less the silver from all the other primary silver miners (72.4 Moz).

The Penasquito Mine's average gold yield last year was a minuscule 0.24 grams a ton, and the silver yield was only 16 grams per ton. Compare that to the average gold yield of the top four gold miners at 1.26 grams per ton in 2017 and the top eight silver miners average yield of 233 grams per ton. Which means, the Penasquito Mine has to move five times the amount of ore to produce the same amount of gold as the top four gold miners and a 15 times more ore than the top eight silver miners.

Penasquito is not only a water hog, but it also consumes a great deal of energy to produce its gold-silver and base metals. According to the data for 2017, the Penasquito Mine produced less than a fifth of Goldcorp's total gold production, but used 60% of the companies total energy consumption. And that ratio is likely worse for 2018 when they publish the data as Penasquito's gold production in 2018 represented only 12% of the company's total production.

So, it's no surprise that the Penasquito Mine has been plagued with protests and blockades for years. It will be interesting to see how the future unfolds for Penasquito with the new anti-mining President AMLO now running the show. Either way, these type of super large open-pit mines will soon be extinct when global oil production peaks and declines.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...nds-operations
    DON'T TAKE THE VACCINE!

THE SHIT HAS HIT THE FAN!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to EE_ For This Useful Post:

jcismylord (8th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,956 Times in 4,576 Posts

Re: Second Largest Silver Mine Suspends Operations

Could be an interesting week?

Trade Deal Dead: Trump Says 10% China Tariff Rising To 25% On Friday, Another $325BN In Goods To Be Taxed

Bolton Announces Carrier Strike Group Deployed In "Message" To Iran

MASSIVE ROCKET BARRAGE DEEP INTO ISRAEL
    IRAN BEHIND ESCALATION?
    'WE'RE CLOSE TO OPEN WAR'

Kim oversees drills...
    Test May Have Included Ballistic Missile...

Dow Futures Plunge 500 Points Amid Trump Trade Threat Turmoil
    DON'T TAKE THE VACCINE!

THE SHIT HAS HIT THE FAN!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,349 Posts

Good news is there is enough flood water forecast for this week in Texas to resell and reopen Mexican silver mines.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Silver is down 9 cents on the news.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    Of course the manipulators can’t allow the supply shortage be seen as a positive. Smoke and mirrors...
    Cultural Marxism: -The idea that good, hard working, white people should pay for those who are not, and thus in the name of equality create the conditions for their own genetic annihilation

Electrum
    Thanks

Thank you for the news

Thanks
    Thanked 4,636 Times in 3,208 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    Screw wilver. There is no hope there.

Think of Palladium's recent downfall!
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,349 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by osoab View Post
    Screw wilver. There is no hope there.

Think of Palladium's recent downfall!
    R U the fat lady?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Horn View Post
    R U the fat lady?
    No that’s the secretary...
    Cultural Marxism: -The idea that good, hard working, white people should pay for those who are not, and thus in the name of equality create the conditions for their own genetic annihilation