Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol caliber arguments are dumb

Thanks
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 1,979 Posts

Re: Pistol caliber arguments are dumb

Quote Originally Posted by Jewboo View Post
    My neighbor carries one. I wonder if rimfire reliably goes BANG every time the trigger is pulled. We're talking about depending on it with our lives.

I've got three of the NAA revolvers and I've never had a misfire. I use the NAA "Earl" to shoot mice in the house at night. It has a four inch barrel. I carry one like the one in the video with CCI Max-mag or Hornaday "Critical Defense" rounds.

I carry one of the small ones loaded with bird shot and use it on bulls when they get ornery and to break up fights between them. Had two bulls fighting about a week ago I needed to move and they kept fighting and I was afraid they might run over me in their battle. I used the one with birdshot and hit them in the legs. That broke up the fight and got things moving.

I have a couple of the Ruger LCP's in .380 and they are nice to carry. I've carried them in a shirt pocket and no one ever seems to notice. I've got some Keltec pistols in 380 and .32 auto that are easy to conceal in a lot of ways.

I've tried the "Urban Carry" holsters because they sounded like a good idea but they were miserable to wear and didn't work as well as they are promoted too.

I like to carry a gun in each pocket because I can always get to one if one of my hands is busy. I was in that situation one time and could't get to my gun and I don't want to get caught like that ever again.

I've been carrying a Cobra Tec knife lately too that's pretty nice. Works good, easy to conceal, comes out fast and is razor sharp. Video review below. No knife laws where I live.

We are all travelers through this world
    Birth till Death
    We travel between the Eternities. Robert Duval as Print Ritter "The Broken Trail"

I believe the DSCI christians know and speak the truth
    https://christogenea.org

The old coyote senses danger and sinks into the grass.
    He cannot be seen but he watches and waits. Author unknown

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tumbleweed For This Useful Post:

Jewboo (9th May 2019),midnight rambler (9th May 2019),monty (9th May 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

After sleeping on this I awoke decided on the Ruger LCP II. Both of you guys are extremely experienced and thus very knowledgeable about this. Thank you guys!

$238 local
    I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

Tumbleweed (9th May 2019)

Thanks

Since this is a thread on handguns and Jewboo has made his decision I thought I'd post this video because I've got a Ruger Super Blackhawk I bought when I got out of high school. I've always enjoyed shooting it and it's been really accurate. It might be part of the reason I'm pretty deaf too. The ammo was always expensive so I reloaded most of my ammo for it. I seldom shoot it any more but when I do I'm amazed that I can hit what I'm aiming for with it consistently. It feels good and it shoots good.

Mine is the newer two screw model and I prefer that for the added safety in carrying it. The trigger is really nice too.

Birth till Death
    We travel between the Eternities. Robert Duval as Print Ritter "The Broken Trail"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tumbleweed For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (9th May 2019)

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    Since this is a thread on handguns and Jewboo has made his decision I thought I'd post this video because I've got a Ruger Super Blackhawk I bought when I got out of high school. I've always enjoyed shooting it and it's been really accurate. It might be part of the reason I'm pretty deaf too. The ammo was always expensive so I reloaded most of my ammo for it. I seldom shoot it any more but when I do I'm amazed that I can hit what I'm aiming for with it consistently. It feels good and it shoots good.

Mine is the newer two screw model and I prefer that for the added safety in carrying it. The trigger is really nice too.

A very successful pistol design that's been with us for 146 years, the Colt Peacemaker, "the gun that won the west" aka the Colt single action army. Lawmen carried the SSA decades into the 20th century.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

8. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

Tumbleweed (10th May 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
    Just ordered a case of 1,000 rounds of .380 auto*, will be burning that ammo through the LCP II this weekend
    FIVE STARS...THEY ALL LOVE THIS...snappy little gun punishes your hand

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,310 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post

I had a 2 screw Blackhawk .44 mag years ago. Bought it used and it seemed to be in good shape but when I loaded it I heard a rattling noise. The cylinder was bored too large and the cartridges were flopping around. It was a great shooter in spite of that. I suppose the cartridges weren't any good for reloading after being fired without that needed support.
    Mine had a long barrel and I found I didn't carry it often. I ended up with a S&W lightweight 629 with the 4" barrel. Single action revolvers were generally designed for shooting one-handed on horseback. I don't particularly like to shoot them double handed. Everyone should own on once though, just for the sake of our history.
    I'd like to add that handgun hunting is a stupid idea made popular in stupid magazines. My hearing is very weak due to firing at predators with large caliber handguns which may reflect poorly on my own intellect.
    Before planing on handgun hunting, we should first try to envision hunting with hearing protection...it isn't likely to happen.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoarder For This Useful Post:

monty (10th May 2019),Tumbleweed (10th May 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post

Haven't shot it enough to determine that. Just ordered a case of 1,000 rounds of .380 auto*, will be burning that ammo through the LCP II this weekend (along with my LCP I 2nd generation).

BUMP FOR MR: Please report your experience with RECOIL and if this little gun punished your hand. I just ordered this Hogue rubber grip from Amazon and might even also wear a glove while breaking in my own Ruger LCPII.

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jewboo View Post
    BUMP FOR MR: Please report your experience with RECOIL and if this little gun punished your hand. I just ordered this Hogue rubber grip from Amazon and might even also wear a glove while breaking in my own Ruger LCPII.

Got rained out. I ordered one of those Hogue grips as well.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

14. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

Jewboo (13th May 2019)

Thanks

I thought this was an interesting video and the fact you don't have to be a US citizen to buy a firearm surprised me. I guess (((they))) want all the invaders well armed.

Birth till Death

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tumbleweed For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (27th May 2019)

Thanks

Another video here I think is interesting on concealed carry positions.

Birth till Death

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tumbleweed For This Useful Post:

Jewboo (27th May 2019),midnight rambler (27th May 2019)