Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal subgun

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

Legal subgun

I recently discovered the awesome CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1 pistol (CZ makes a select fire version as the A1 subgun) and all the cool things about it.

For one, Franklin Armory makes a binary trigger for it.

You can find the Scorpion EVO 3 S1 for sale online for $799 plus shipping and transfer fees, or perhaps find one for sale locally in the secondary market.

There are several mods you may be interested in, including an extended mag release, an extended charging handle, aftermarket handguard such as the one offered by HB Industries, an improved pistol grip, a light/(green) laser, red dot sight or EOTech, flash hider to replace the OEM FH, and most importantly an arm brace such as the one offered by Manticore Arm/SB Tactical in the form of the CZPDW. Oh, and of course the Franklin Armory binary trigger. If you install the Franklin binary trigger then Franklin furnishes the safety selector replacing the OEM safety. The OEM safety is an issue regardless of one being a right handed shooter or a left handed shooter since due to the angle of the grip when the safety is in the fire position it digs into one's index finger - there are a number of aftermarket solutions for this if one doesn't install the Franklin binary trigger.

This is where I would post an image, so (wow an image actually posted!) the CZ Scorpion in the above video is the Micro version, I have the 7.7" barrel version like the one below.

"A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

cheka. (28th August 2019),madfranks (28th August 2019)

Thanks

Re: Legal subgun

What's notable about the CZPDW (PDW for personal defense weapon) brace is that it is relatively comfortable for those 'moments' when the brace touches one's shoulder. It should be noted that historically there have been numerous subguns with wire stocks not nearly as comfortable as the CZPDW telescoping brace. A few notable examples of crappy wire stocks on subguns are the Mac 10, the M3 Grease Gun, the Swedish K (also made by Smith and Wesson as their Model 76 submachine gun), the Danish Madsen subgun (ugliest subgun you've ever seen but the sweetest shooting subgun I've ever had the pleasure to shoot), etc. The CZPDW brace is head and shoulders above all the stocks on the subguns I listed so I wouldn't even consider a folding brace configuration.

So far I've installed an Aimpoint T-2 Micro, a Streamlight TLR-2 HL G light/green laser, HBI handguard, extended mag release, extended charging handle, pistol grip, (mine came with the CZPDW brace). What's left to add is the fire control (Shooting Sight has a sweet trigger for it, reducing the trigger pull from 10+ lbs. to 4.5-5.5 lbs.) and I intend to install the Franklin Armory binary trigger. Projected total cost of this setup with the Franklin binary trigger is ~$2,800. Simulates full auto (still a semi-auto as there is only one round fired for each function of the trigger) and no tax stamp.

The CZ mags run about $20 each whether 20 round or 30 round. Magpul will soon come out with a 35 round mag at the same price point. There are also mag couplers available so one could have 40-70 rounds on the gun.

Considering what's available to us, I view the CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1 as the nearly perfect personal defense weapon (PDW) when outfitted accordingly.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Looks awesome, too bad I live in CO where magazines with more than 10 rounds are OUTLAWED.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    Looks awesome, too bad I live in CO where magazines with more than 10 rounds are OUTLAWED.
    They make 10 round mags for the CZ Scorpion.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

madfranks (28th August 2019)

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 1,979 Posts

People that want a Franklin Armory binary trigger probably ought to hurry up and get one because it probably won't be long until they're outlawed.

We are all travelers through this world
    Birth till Death
    We travel between the Eternities. Robert Duval as Print Ritter "The Broken Trail"

I believe the DSCI christians know and speak the truth
    https://christogenea.org

The old coyote senses danger and sinks into the grass.
    He cannot be seen but he watches and waits. Author unknown

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tumbleweed For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (29th August 2019)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,214 Times in 3,001 Posts

think the shooter(s) at parkland were using something like that. (media) hid it....but teacher said she saw a shooter with some kind of gun that she had never seen before

popular in israel and fits in a backpack

Thanks
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 1,979 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cheka. View Post
    popular in israel and fits in a backpack
    The one in this video might fit in a backpack too.

We are all travelers through this world
    Birth till Death
    We travel between the Eternities. Robert Duval as Print Ritter "The Broken Trail"

I believe the DSCI christians know and speak the truth
    https://christogenea.org

The old coyote senses danger and sinks into the grass.
    He cannot be seen but he watches and waits. Author unknown

Thanks

I like the 7.7" barrel version I went ahead and picked up a Micro version today (like in the video in the OP), it's ~3.5" shorter OAL than the 7.7" barrel version with an A2 flash hider. Same exact thing just slightly shorter and with a faux suppressor protruding ~1" our the front of the handguard. Comes from CZ with the HB Industries MLOK aluminum handguard.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-scorpi...micro-w-brace/

Thanks

Magpul is set to release their 35 round CZ Scorpion mags by the end of this month.