Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Plywood question

Thanks
    Thanked 6,454 Times in 4,275 Posts

OT Plywood question

Okay this might sound stupid but when did they stop making 1/2" plywood and OSB?

Redoing an area of flooring in my house and was making a list when I noticed Home Depot site showing only 1 sheet of OSB 50 miles away. So I go to the Lowes site, same thing but not even 1 sheet. So fuck this shit I go down to the store and nope nodda except the real expensive stuff. I go to the counter to place the order when the guy told me that 15/32 "Is" 1/2". I mean sure it's close but in replacing a section here and there that is thinner is all jacked up to me. Not any options around me besides big box stores.

WTF?
    Jackie did it and you know it!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,310 Posts

Re: OT Plywood question

They decided to cheat us out of 1/32" quite a few years ago. Hidden inflation. Also they have cheated us on the plies. 1/2" was 5 ply until 1994. Now it's down to 3 and looks like shop grade. Any plywood is still better than OSB/Waferwood/chipboard crap.
    I still walk up to the lumber counter and ask for 1/2" CDX and without a word they give me 15/32".
    Nobody uses 1/2" plywood on floors, not even mobile homes.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoarder For This Useful Post:

Cebu_4_2 (12th October 2019),madfranks (14th October 2019)

Thanks

I haven't bought plywood in a long time so it really blew my mind. I managed to get 4 ply and it's delaminated on 2 and 3 sides of the 2 sheets I ordered. The osb I got seems pretty good 'Legacy' 41499 at Homedepot. Degassing outside now, thinking of spacing them apart for a while.

Currently we have particle board on 1/4th of the house and the back door was left open for years letting the elements in and rotted the floor, joists and sill plate between the deck and house (19K foreclosure). No clue how difficult that plate will be to replace, right now tearing the deck down to get in there.

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,855 Times in 7,912 Posts

OSB board is vastly improved over what it was like 20+ years ago. It used to be total crap which took nominal moisture exposure to cause it to crater, it’s now much more resistant to moisture, comparable to CDX plywood.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

Cebu_4_2 (12th October 2019),woodman (12th October 2019)

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,820 Times in 2,262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
    OSB board is vastly improved over what it was like 20+ years ago. It used to be total crap which took nominal moisture exposure to cause it to crater, it’s now much more resistant to moisture, comparable to CDX plywood.
    This is true in my experience. I still do not fully trust OSB and it is nowhere near as strong as plywood. I actually did a couple of gym floors where the architect and mill spec'd OSB for the subfloor. It is really easy to work with because it has zero warping compared to the shitty plywood they are making now days (yes, Hoarder is correct). If I were patching a subfloor, I would not hesitate to use 3/4" OSB, but plywood is way stronger.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

hoarder (12th October 2019),midnight rambler (12th October 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,310 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    This is true in my experience. I still do not fully trust OSB and it is nowhere near as strong as plywood. I actually did a couple of gym floors where the architect and mill spec'd OSB for the subfloor. It is really easy to work with because it has zero warping compared to the shitty plywood they are making now days (yes, Hoarder is correct). If I were patching a subfloor, I would not hesitate to use 3/4" OSB, but plywood is way stronger.
    What about the swelling when wet aspect of OSB? Has that gotten much better? Looking at all the roofs on spec homes that were decked with OSB a few years ago, now you can see exactly where the trusses are.

Thanks

I think I should picture this stuff but haven't linked my phone to the forum. Could probably use some tips and tricks cause besides building new stuff I never dealt with old rot that I had to fix.

Ahhh! I forgot to mention the rot thing, this place was infested with carpenter ants big time, especially where I am working. Nothing helped until I fogged behind boards and stuff on the outside with regular mosquito stuff. Poof they disappeared in 2 days, not a single ant since and been like 5 years.

Thanks

The crap I got says guaranteed til covered or something like that, the Lowes one that's 36 a piece says for 500 days. (I thing or 300 days) whatever seems to be pretty waxy in material to stay flat.

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,820 Times in 2,262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoarder View Post
    What about the swelling when wet aspect of OSB? Has that gotten much better? Looking at all the roofs on spec homes that were decked with OSB a few years ago, now you can see exactly where the trusses are.
    It doubt it's gotten better in that respect so I would still not trust it. I think for a patch it would be ok. I remember years ago when framing houses in the winter or in rainy weather, the OSB did warp and sag a bit when soaked. I would not use it myself anywhere I thought water might get to it. I used it on the second floor of my shop and it really does not feel as solid as ply. It is a lot cheaper though and if you don't need ply you can save a lot of cash.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

13. The Following User Says Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

hoarder (12th October 2019)

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,855 Times in 7,912 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoarder View Post
    I don’t see recently manufactured (in past 15 years or so) OSB swelling and sagging like the OSB board manufactured 30+ years ago. Virtually all construction around here now with few exceptions uses OSB board instead of plywood including the most expensive custom homes. Regardless whether OSB or plywood both are going to rot when exposed to prolonged moisture. Based on what I see OSB and plywood perform essentially the same under identical circumstances.

Still not a huge fan of OSB but it’s now more or less equivalent to the lower quality plywood.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

15. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

Cebu_4_2 (12th October 2019)