Thread: Dehumidifier

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Dehumidifier

I recently bought a dehumidifier from Lowe's for around $200, and living on the coast where it's humid, I'm surprised at the amount of water it generates and collects from the air (as well as drying out areas of the home). Seems to collect several gallons a day.

It got me thinking, if I were to run that water through a filter such as a berkey, it should be fine to drink and cook with, right? Any thoughts on that?

This could be a very inexpensive way to collect water for disasters if/when the water supply gets shut off.
    life is good.

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

Re: Dehumidifier

I would check with the manufacturer of your dehumidifier to see if their appliance produces potable water. There may be lead solder or possibly some other chemical in it which would leach into the water and a water filter would not remove that sort of contaminant.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

Hitch (22nd October 2019),osoab (22nd October 2019)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
    I would check with the manufacturer of your dehumidifier to see if their appliance produces potable water. There may be lead solder or possibly some other chemical in it which would leach into the water and a water filter would not remove that sort of contaminant.
    The manufacturer states it's not potable, but probably for liability reasons. I read one article that says as long as the containment bin is clean, and the condenser coils clean, it's potable.

I think you are right about the possibility of metals being leached into the water though. I still think maybe add a little bleach to the water, and run it through a filter (I use the propur) should filter out any metals in the water. Heck, the filter is rated to filter even nasty pond water.

The water from the dehumidifier looks very clean. I know that's not saying much, but at least it wouldn't, or shouldn't clog up any filters.
    life is good.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

osoab (23rd October 2019)

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

It costs something like $50k to get a NSF rating which is probably why they won’t say it’s potable. That or shit leaches into which a water filter may not remove. Suggest you get a sample tested.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Thanks
    Thanked 4,636 Times in 3,208 Posts

I have used my dehumidifier water on seedlings and full grown plants for the past 5 years or so.

I have not seen any adverse affects other than there is no mineral content. You need to amend your soil. A bit of fish emulsion isn't too bad either.
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

8. The Following User Says Thank You to osoab For This Useful Post:

Hitch (23rd October 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    I recently bought a dehumidifier from Lowe's for around $200, and living on the coast where it's humid, I'm surprised at the amount of water it generates and collects from the air (as well as drying out areas of the home). Seems to collect several gallons a day.

It got me thinking, if I were to run that water through a filter such as a berkey, it should be fine to drink and cook with, right? Any thoughts on that?

This could be a very inexpensive way to collect water for disasters if/when the water supply gets shut off.
    You think you would have electric but no water when disaster strucks?
    Cultural Marxism: -The idea that good, hard working, white people should pay for those who are not, and thus in the name of equality create the conditions for their own genetic annihilation