Thread: Batteries

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Batteries

I've been researching the heck out of batteries. If designing a system from scratch, Lithium Iron Phosphate seems to win. But, you are dealing with the complication of a BMS (battery management system), built into the battery. Basically, a "smart" battery.

Lead acid, AGM, or GEL, or dumb batteries, just lack the capacity, or longevity of the lithium.

Firefly batteries, an AGM carbon foam, batteries, you can discharge down to nothing, and won't damage them, and have cycles up to 3000. Basically they should last you 10 years, if you are hard on them. If you are easy on them, like most of us during non SHTF, 20 years?
    life is good.

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,260 Posts

Re: Batteries

You could take a course at a technical college and still not know all about batteries. Hell of a lot to know. I think everyday experience trumps any reading or second hand info. Hoarder could probably give us the lowdown on solar. One thing I do know from reading reviews of products is that what the claims are, are very different from the realities.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,142 Posts

Don't get hung up on battery life. You might spend $600 or so on a 200 ah lithium iron phosphate that weighs 50-60 lbs and has all the life and capacity you think you need ... and it is so compact, so valuable and so portable .. .some thief is sure to nail it.

Instead go for the 40 ah marine deep cycles for $80. Low tech. Heavy. Cheap ... and if you a thief you will likely go for something more valuable ... So what if it wears out in 3 years. An no BMS. All you need to maintain it is distilled water.

If you really want cheap and light put together a super capacitor cell. These can weigh 10% of a lead acid and can directly substitute for a 12v battery. A 6 lb capacitor bank can start your car. They have much more current available for starting because unlike batteries they have virtually no internal resistance.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ziero0 For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (4th November 2019)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    You could take a course at a technical college and still not know all about batteries. Hell of a lot to know. I think everyday experience trumps any reading or second hand info. Hoarder could probably give us the lowdown on solar. One thing I do know from reading reviews of products is that what the claims are, are very different from the realities.
    I'm getting to the point where I'd like to take a test at a technical college, get some some "cert" in battery knowledge.

It would be nice if Hoarder was around to chime in.

From everything I've learned, and honest reviews, firefly batteries seem to win hands down.
    life is good.