Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,415 Posts

I'm not a fan of Tesla cars, but their truck is sick

Thanks

Re: I'm not a fan of Tesla cars, but their truck is sick

Things I like about it:
    - Quasi bulletproof, at least from most handguns
    - Adjustable ride height, up to 16 inches of clearance. You can go low on the road for handling, high off road.
    - Up to 500 miles of range. With that much range, its feasible to use a generator for charging without constantly worrying.
    - 6.5 ft bed, as well as electrical outlets. It seems designed to be able to camp in it.
    - 14k lbs towing, 3500 lbs payload
    - 2.9s 0-60 on the top end model

Things I don't like:
    - The big drawback for me is the always connected wireless. I feel that you don't really own your vehicle if someone can view, track, or take control of it at any time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to vacuum For This Useful Post:

hoarder (24th November 2019)

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,855 Times in 7,912 Posts

A couple of months ago Musk was snickering at big boy diesel pickups that are rated to tow 30,000# and yet his highest end, "biggest and baddest" model of 'pickup truck' is limited to a towing capacity of 14,000#. Musk is a carny barker and he's now barking about his lameass battery powered toy truck. lol And to top that off, he attempted the 'bullet-proof glass' stunt without first doing a practice round out of public view so those involved would know the outcome in advance without an embarrassing themselves. What a maroon. That just goes to show how Musk is unable to think things out thoroughly to logical conclusions.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

5. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

BrewTech (22nd November 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

Musk is a steampunk fan.

Thanks

And FWIW, if this toy's 'bullet-proofing' is only rated for "most handguns" then it really isn't 'bullet-proof' is it?? More like mildly bullet-resistant. Any genuine bad guy is going to have an AK.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

8. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

madfranks (25th November 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
    And FWIW, if this toy's 'bullet-proofing' is only rated for "most handguns" then it really isn't 'bullet-proof' is it?? More like mildly bullet-resistant. Any genuine bad guy is going to have an AK.
    Having "bullet proofing" as an advertised feature is awesome.

If its successful then other companies will have to come out with their own bullet proofed models that are better. So I hope it is successful. I want this as a standard feature in the car industry.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to vacuum For This Useful Post:

hoarder (24th November 2019)

Thanks

'Bullet-resistant' limited to (strictly) handgun rounds fosters a false sense of security. I'd rather count on being bareass naked and deal with it realistically rather than engaging in a dangerous delusion.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

BrewTech (22nd November 2019),madfranks (25th November 2019)

Brew Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,538 Posts

Looks about as ridiculous as his spaceship, an object drawn by a 7 year old.

Elon Musk would be a financially ruined has-been if not for the coercive power of the State.

I'm all for innovative thinking and technological progress, but what we have is, IMO, not how it was supposed to work.
    By way of decoction, thou shalt do wort.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrewTech For This Useful Post:

keehah (4th December 2019),midnight rambler (23rd November 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

https://pic.twitter.com/mxJzwq0ZMS

see more memes in comments

FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PatColo For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (23rd November 2019)

Thanks

The reason the truck looks the way it does is because the skin is providing the stiffness and load capacity of the bed. Thats why it is one big triangle, because that is the strongest shape. It doesn't have a frame.

The flat panels are also why its so cheap at $40k for the base model.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vacuum For This Useful Post:

Cebu_4_2 (23rd November 2019),PatColo (23rd November 2019)