Thread: Why you don't want to use the biggest, baddest pistol round

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

Why you don't want to use the biggest, baddest pistol round

Because of mag capacity and what you're able to have on your body. Cop shot gangbanger shot 14 times with .45 ACP, six shots potentially fatal. Cop now carries 145 rounds of 9mm.

https://www.policeone.com/police-her...BbLYpnqqHxwMq/
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

2. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

Tumbleweed (26th December 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Re: Why you don't want to use the biggest, baddest pistol round

That's why for daily carry I prefer my Glock 17 9mm to any of my 45s. The G17 comes with a standard 17 round mag, compared to a standard 8 round mag in my G38. Couple the G17 with the extended mags and you've got 33 rounds before having to reload.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Thanks
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 1,979 Posts

How many times would he have had to shoot him with a 9mm? The reason they used the .45 in WWII was because it had the needed stopping power. Sounds like head shots are what's needed if the body shots aren't working.
    We are all travelers through this world
    Birth till Death
    We travel between the Eternities. Robert Duval as Print Ritter "The Broken Trail"

I believe the DSCI christians know and speak the truth
    https://christogenea.org

The old coyote senses danger and sinks into the grass.
    He cannot be seen but he watches and waits. Author unknown

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    How many times would he have had to shoot him with a 9mm? The reason they used the .45 in WWII was because it had the needed stopping power. Sounds like head shots are what's needed if the body shots aren't working.
    Honestly I can't imagine anyone taking 14 shots, be it 9mm or .45, and survive.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    Honestly I can't imagine anyone taking 14 shots, be it 9mm or .45, and survive.
    Usually it's people on PCP that can take those hits and keep fighting. Adrenaline, and training (muscle memory) can overcome a lot. There's soldiers who've taken direct head shots, dead instantly, who still manage to clear their weapons safe and hand them over to next soldier in the foxhole. Fact.
    life is good.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

madfranks (2nd January 2020),midnight rambler (1st January 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    Usually it's people on PCP that can take those hits and keep fighting. Adrenaline, and training (muscle memory) can overcome a lot. There's soldiers who've taken direct head shots, dead instantly, who still manage to clear their weapons safe and hand them over to next soldier in the foxhole. Fact.
    Even on PCP, I struggle to imagine how it's physically even possible to continue moving forward after absorbing 14 hits with a .45. I know it's not common at all, but damn he must have been like the incredible hulk or something.
    - Lew Rockwell

Thanks

I doubt the armed robber in the OP was on PCP, just highly motivated in a fight to the death. This video shows what usually happens but not always what happens so you cannot count on immediate effectiveness unless you manage to get a CNS disconnect. This guy was deadly for a full 15 seconds after he was shot multiple times.

"A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

10. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

madfranks (2nd January 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
    I doubt the armed robber in the OP was on PCP, just highly motivated in a fight to the death. This video shows what usually happens but not always what happens so you cannot count on immediate effectiveness unless you manage to get a CNS disconnect. This guy was deadly for a full 15 seconds after he was shot multiple times.

I just love the way that guy walking into the parking lot on the left side of the video just nonchalantly mosseys along totally unfazed by the gunfight going on within a few feet of him as if it's really no big deal, something you see everyday. lol