legalized pedophilia,

leads to bestiality,

and from there down to Hell.

U.S.
    February 18, 2020 / 2:03 PM / 4 days ago
    Utah Senate votes to decriminalize polygamy among consenting adults
    Jennifer Dobner

4 Min Read

"SALT LAKE CITY (Reuters) - The Utah state Senate voted unanimously on Tuesday effectively to decriminalize polygamy among consenting adults, reducing penalties for a practice with deep religious roots in the predominantly Mormon state.

The bill, which would treat the offense of plural marriage as a simple infraction on par with a parking ticket, now moves to the Utah House of Representatives, where it is likely to face greater resistance.

The bill swiftly cleared the Republican-controlled Senate on a vote of 29-0 with little discussion.

Under current law, polygamy - typically involving a man who cohabitates with and purports to marry more than one wife - is classified as a third-degree felony, punishable by up to five years in prison.

If the Senate bill becomes law, punishments for plural marriage would be limited to fines of up to $750 and community service.

However, fraudulent bigamy - in which an individual obtains licenses to marry more than one spouse without their knowledge, or seeks to wed someone underage without her consent - remains a felony.

The chief sponsor of the measure, Senator Deirdre Henderson, said the intent of the bill is not to legalize polygamy but to lower the penalties so those from polygamous communities who are victims of crimes can come forward without fear of being prosecuted themselves.

It also would make it easier for otherwise law-abiding polygamists to obtain access to critical services such as medical or mental health care, education or even employment without fear, she said.

Opponents of decriminalization say the current law should not be changed because polygamy is inherently dangerous and harmful to women and children, particularly young girls, some of whom have been forced into marriages with older men.

REMNANT OF PRE-STATEHOOD

Polygamy is a remnant of the early teachings of the Utah-based Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, whose members fled persecution over the practice to settle the Utah territory in 1847. The church disavowed polygamy in 1890 as a condition of Utah statehood, and today members of the faith found to be practicing plural marriage are excommunicated.

Fundamentalist Mormons, said to number more than 30,000 across the western United States, believe they are adhering to the truest form of Mormon doctrine, which promises polygamists glorification in heaven.

Utah’s history of felony punishment for polygamy has never halted its practice entirely but rather driven it to the fringes of society, creating a culture of fear that allows perpetrators to thrive, Henderson said.

“The solution to the problem is increased societal integration, which can only come through decriminalizing otherwise law-abiding polygamists,” Henderson said during a preliminary debate on the bill last week.

Critics, however, say the measure wrongly frames polygamy as a human rights issue.

“Proponents of this bill attempt to piggyback on the success of the gay rights movement by promoting the narrative that this initiative is about consenting adults doing what they will,” the anti-polygamy group Sound Choices Coalition said in a statement. “This has nothing to do about consenting adults or gay rights. It’s all about weaponizing God.”

In 2013, Kody Brown, patriarch of the polygamist family featured on the “Sister Wives” television reality show, challenged the law after being investigated for bigamy by Utah County prosecutors. No charges were filed.

A federal judge struck down the anti-polygamy law as unconstitutional. But a federal appeals court reversed the ruling and the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear the case."

Reporting by Jennifer Dobner in Salt Lake City; Editing by Steve Gorman, Matthew Lewis and Dan Grebler
    Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dachsie For This Useful Post:

Down1 (23rd February 2020),hoarder (23rd February 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 4,272 Posts

Re: Polygamy is heading toward decriminalization in state of Utah

Isn't this Romneys place deal?
    Jackie did it and you know it!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,857 Posts

Hoggamus Poggamus
    Woman is monogamous

Higgamus Piggamus
    Man is Polygamous

Thanks
    Thanked 1,999 Times in 1,242 Posts

Has Romney said anything about this yet ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Down1 View Post
    Has Romney said anything about this yet ?
    I don't know but I read a long time ago that a close branch of Romney's family has a big polygamous compound in northern Mexico.

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

To assert that woman are more faithful than men (on average) is extremely naive. Both are equally culpable when it comes to cheating.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
    To assert that woman are more faithful than men (on average) is extremely naive. Both are equally culpable when it comes to cheating.
    Who made such an assertion?

I just repeated a poem of a college sociology professor of mine.

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dachsie View Post
    Hoggamus Poggamus
    Woman is monogamous

Higgamus Piggamus
    Man is Polygamous
    Who made such an assertion?

I just repeated a poem of a college sociology professor of mine.
    That would appear to be the assertion of the third person posting a poem to reflect the third person's views/perspective/observations/assertions. By carrying that notion (the notion the professor had regarding fidelity in marriage) forward when one repeats that notion one furthers that notion, as it's part of their belief system. That notion is utter nonsense.

Anyone who cheats on their spouse will cheat anyone and everyone else. There's no shortage of unfaithful "good christian women" who go to church every Sunday. Women are called the weaker sex for a reason. That's not misogynist, just a fact.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
    That would appear to be the assertion of the third person posting a poem to reflect the third person's views/perspective/observations/assertions. By carrying that notion (the notion the professor had regarding fidelity in marriage) forward when one repeats that notion one furthers that notion, as it's part of their belief system. That notion is utter nonsense.
    I am sorry you took it that way. And I had no idea anyone would take it that way. I heard a professor say that in class way back in the mid-sixties and he seemed to want it to be taken as objective fact. I did not think about it much one way or another but it just popped back into my mind when I posted about polygamy and thought I would share it. Maybe that was a bad choice on my part.

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,260 Posts

Hoggamus Poggamus
    Woman is monogamous

Higgamus Piggamus
    Man is Polygamous
    Your professor got it wrong and it was written in the 1800's
    I first found this poem attributed to William James and the story was that he penned it while inebriated from nitrous oxide. He was an early experimenter with the gas.

But then, it is hard to totally trust what we read.

From another website:
    the first time the quatrain below appeared in the The OxfordDictionary of Quotations was in its Fourth Edition (1992), and it isascribed to the American philosopher William James. The sentiment is notexpressed in the sonorous language of the Book of Moroni, where onemight first look to find such a message. It has more the pithy irrefutability of Paul Jennings' "Man erith; womanmorpeth":
    Hogamous, higamous Man is polygamous Higamous, hogamous Woman monogamous.

When and where did William James, philosopher and psychologist,pillar of Victorian uprightness, and brother of the novelist Henry,pronounce this subversive saying?
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

Dachsie (23rd February 2020),midnight rambler (23rd February 2020)