Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: freeze dried food??

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,310 Posts

Re: freeze dried food??

Oxygen and heat kill them slowly. Should be OK for a year as is, stored in pantry. In mylar bags with oxygen absorbers stored in cool dry place, some beans last more than 20 years. Amazon may a place where beans are unloaded when they're getting old.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 921 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoarder View Post
    Ten years ago I went to a Mormon place near Pocatello Idaho (Walton's) and bought lots of rice and beans and a few other things like canned and powdered foods. I sealed them up in mylar bags, put them in 5 gallon buckets and buried them. Some of it must be going bad by now, but the white rice and dry beans will probably outlast me.
    Their white rice is "enriched" which means it has MSG in it. I normally would not eat that, but if I was starving....
    Dry white rice and beans are the most bang for your buck. Lots of nutrients there but this is practically all carbohydrates.
    Cajuns eat something called "red beans and rice", which is one of the most cost-effective meals in the world. Beans (kidney),white rice, onions, pork and seasonings. Rice is cooked separate and the rest is poured on top. It's delicious and filling. So pork in your freezer is a good idea.
    It's been 2 1/2 years since the burn and the woods are thick with Whitetails around here. My orchard will start producing next year.
    I doubt it will ever come down to this.
    TPTB know that if the teevee addled masses have their bellies full, they will believe what they are told and obey, never going into the survival mode.
    Next tome your in poke-a-fellow, let book and I know and we could have a good sit down.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JDRock For This Useful Post:

hoarder (17th March 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,310 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JDRock View Post
    Next tome your in poke-a-fellow, let book and I know and we could have a good sit down.
    Thanks for the invite, but I haven't been down there since I went to Walton's that time.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    should we have an extra freezer??

Found these chickpeas.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...92C1GAH2Y&th=1

Does anyone know if you just store them in the bags they come in, or do you need to store this stuff in some special way??
    They come in a burlap bag with a plastic lining. I'd put them in another container(s).

Already sold out now though.

I'd order a chest freezer. That will give you 1-2 months of meat storage.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Chest+Freeze&ref=nb_sb_noss

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shami-Amourae For This Useful Post:

Amanda (17th March 2020)

Thanks

If the grocery stores get cleaned out, you should be able to buy cases of #10 cans from your local LDS pantry. Print out an order sheet, fill out your order, drive-thru and they load it right up.

https://providentliving.churchofjesu...s-map?lang=eng

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Half Sense For This Useful Post:

Amanda (17th March 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    should we have an extra freezer

No. Couple of days without electricity and you can kiss all your freezer food goodbye.
    I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,820 Times in 2,262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jewboo View Post

No. Couple of days without electricity and you can kiss all your freezer food goodbye.
    This is what generators and batteries and solar power are for. If we had a prolonged power outage, I would get busy, real fast, canning everything in the freezers. It would be a hell-of-a deal and the wife would be pissed! We make some awesome canned goods. Every time we cook a bird or ham or even the leftover liquids from St. Paddy's day corned beef, we can it and make awesome soups.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

Thanks
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 1,979 Posts

I've got some turkey and beef I canned in jars ten years ago and every once in a while I open one up and make some soup or stew with it. It's just as good now as when I canned it.
    We are all travelers through this world
    Birth till Death
    We travel between the Eternities. Robert Duval as Print Ritter "The Broken Trail"

I believe the DSCI christians know and speak the truth
    https://christogenea.org

The old coyote senses danger and sinks into the grass.
    He cannot be seen but he watches and waits. Author unknown

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tumbleweed For This Useful Post:

JDRock (18th March 2020)

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,820 Times in 2,262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    I've got some turkey and beef I canned in jars ten years ago and every once in a while I open one up and make some soup or stew with it. It's just as good now as when I canned it.
    Hell yeah! I bought a bunch of guinea hens a few years back and they were so loud and obnoxious that I had to shoot them and can them. They are way better than chicken. I can everything I can! It is actually fun to toss everything into the jars and put them in the canner and know that you are making a recipe for some fine soup and canning it at the same time. Nothing better than a carcass soup made from Thanksgiving turkey or a Christmas ham. Toss in beans or noodles, rice and barley. Hell, the imagination is the limit.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

JDRock (21st September 2020),Tumbleweed (17th March 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,415 Posts

Anyone who wants a deal on freeze dried food....this is a great deal at $4.50 per bag:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RJM2HTE/

Ships in a few months (maybe), but typically freeze dried is a long term type of thing.