Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: freeze dried food??

Thanks
    Thanked 4,380 Times in 2,414 Posts

Re: freeze dried food??

Just was at my local Costco, and they have a great deal on a Mountain House case of freeze dried food.

They're selling a box of 15 pouches for $54.99, which is a discount of $14 off their regular price.

It includes:

Deal expires 9/27.

You can see by adding up the cost of the pouches on Amazon how this compares to normal prices.

You could survive on 3 pouches per day, ideally you'd want 4 pouches per day. So this is a solid 4 days of food. Very valuable even if you have bulk foods. You can cut your bulk foods into these pouches and actually have a meal.

Probably the best deal I've seen this year.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vacuum For This Useful Post:

JDRock (21st September 2020),PatColo (20th September 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 921 Posts

i did the same, dont forget to pack your fd foods and your beans n rice in sealed containers. Also a good water filtration (hand pump) is under 100$ and is needed if the power goes down or they start adding any more crap to your water supply.

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,142 Posts

I found five 1.75 liters of JB scotch at Sam's club for $10 each. Almost as good as having preps on hand is the ability to trade for what you need.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JDRock View Post
    i did the same, dont forget to pack your fd foods and your beans n rice in sealed containers. Also a good water filtration (hand pump) is under 100$ and is needed if the power goes down or they start adding any more crap to your water supply.
    some here will recall in a water filter thread around here somewhere, I got a berkey last March... the 1.5 gal Travel Berkey with 2 black berkey elements, & I also sprang for the additional "PF-2" fluoride filters.

With elements brand new OR freshly scrubbed, it filters around 1 gal/hr... then you'll watch that flow rate drop gradually over the next ~1-2 months, to maybe doing 0.5 gal/hr. This has been my experience through the first ~5 mos of ownership/use, consuming ~1gal/day. They reco' disassembling & cleaning the elements monthly, about a 10m, maybe 20m job if you're thorough & clean everything.

Past ~month though, with the CA/West Agenda-21 fires, that speed of deterioration in the flow rate since the last cleaning, has increased dramatically! I clean it, & within a week it's flowing intolerably slow again! In fact, the upper/unfiltered chamber is only able to push through about half its content, then it just stalls coz the elements' surfaces have gotten too 'dirty' again, & the "water/gravity-weight" needed to push through, aint there!

So when I clean the elements, I find there's a "slimy" coating; handling them is like a wet bar of soap, or a fresh caught fish! This slime comes right off under warm running water & rough side of a scotchbright sponge as they recommend... and flow rate is like new again, but give it another few, 5-10 days & WTF again?!

AND, the kitchen tap water I use to fill the top chamber has already gone through a "whole house filter" which attaches to the hose line which feeds the whole RV.
    Culligan RVF-10 Recreational Vehicle (RV) External Water Filter, White, 250 Gallon

^ a couple weeks ago, that jobee's filter element rather 'abruptly' needed a changing, as water flow/pressure to the whole rig dropped off a cliff, to maybe 'a little harder than I can pee' rate... as abruptly as someone flipping a switch! Checked water flow at the outside spigot, was fine, no kinks in the hose line... & once I changed that culligan element I was back to 'normal' again. But I've already noticed in this recent ~2 weeks, it's also deteriorating way faster than it should, judging by my taps/shower pressure dropping off again!

So I guess point is, at least in my current CA municipality & I suspect across the Western Agenda-21-Fires states, YAWL NEED TO BE FILTERING YOUR MUNI/TAP WATER!! I cringe to think what the plebs (guessing >half the population?) who don't filter in any way, are ingesting... & cleaning/bathing in?! The raw muni H2O quality around here has dropped off a quick cliff!
    FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PatColo For This Useful Post:

JDRock (24th September 2020),midnight rambler (22nd September 2020)