Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chloroquinine and gin and tonic; corona virus

Thanks
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,345 Posts

chloroquinine and gin and tonic; corona virus

Chloroquinine is a synthetic version of quinine. I see some evidence that for malaria, the chloro version may be more effective, but both have an impact. I have no idea how that ties to corvid-19. In any case, I have been buying tonic water (probably 75-80 mg quinine per liter). I just drink it plain or an occasional gin (Sapphire) and tonic. Hey it cannot hurt, and it may have a prophylactic effect.

It worked for the Brits in tropical zones; though concentration of quinine was much higher in their tonic water.
    "What Difference, at this time, does it make?"

"What is 'is'?"

"Because you'd be in jail"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnQPublic For This Useful Post:

Hitch (2nd April 2020),JDRock (3rd April 2020),midnight rambler (2nd April 2020)

Thanks

Re: chloroquinine and gin and tonic; corona virus

Here is a paper on hydroxychloroquinine. Note that all these compounds (quinine, chloroquinine, hydroxychloroquinine, etc.) have similar molecular structures, just different terminations and some differences in attachments to the aromatic group (i.e, Cl, OH). I would not take any pharmaceutical compounds without a prescription, but drinking tonic water should not be an issue. The dosages in this study sound extremely high (pushing toxic). I have heard of 200mg 2x daily as more typical. Tonic water is probably around 15-25mg per 12 oz. glass.

https://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/p...he-coronavirus

"Hydroxychloroquine
    Another agent that appears to have gained traction in evaluation for COVID-19 is hydroxychloroquine, or chloroquine. The heme polymerase inhibitor that is currently used to treat a variety of conditions that include malaria, lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis is being evaluated to determine if its use in COVID-19 leads to improved virological clearance and mortality. The same in vitro study that stated remdesivir’s antiviral activity also showed chloroquine potent activity versus COVID-19 in human cells.3 It appears to block viral infection by increasing endosomal pH needed for virus/cell fusion, and interferes with the glycosylation of virus cellular receptors. The drug also has immune-modulating activity which is proposed to enhance its antiviral effect in vivo.3

A Chinese clinical study evaluating 5 daily doses of 400 mg in adults who developed pneumonia from the viral infection is scheduled to conclude in the latter half of 2020. The study is sponsored by the Shanghai Public Health Clinical Center, and it is unknown how long after study conclusion the information may be shared with other stakeholders.

A large ongoing study is comparing hydroxychloroquine’s clinical outcomes to carrimycin, lopinavir/ritonavir, and umifenovir, but the study is not anticipated to conclude before February 2021. The most recent Chinese guidelines on COVID-19 recommend chloroquine phosphate 500 mg twice a day for up to 10 days.2

Given that hydroxychloroquine is already available in the US, comes in oral dosage forms, has a known safety profile, and is relatively inexpensive (compared to newer agents), it would not be as difficult to utilize this product as some of the other candidates, should the results of any studies confirm the findings of the in vitro study in a patient care setting. However, it is precisely because it is so readily available that it is important to note that until official recommendations are made, any use of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 should only occur in the investigational setting. "

"What is 'is'?"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnQPublic For This Useful Post:

Hitch (2nd April 2020)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

This is extremely helpful. Thank you. I don't have any tonic water, but will add some. Like many others, my plan on this virus is to catch it. I hope I don't, but I plan on it. The best thing is to have a healthy immune system. It can mean the difference and keep things hopefully to just mild symptoms.
    life is good.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

The gin may also be helpful as alcohol has viral killing properties. Smokers has been shown to be heavily underrepresented in Corona pneumonia, so having a cigarr with your gin and tonic may be the optimal for personal protection. If it doesn’t work at least you die happier.
    Cultural Marxism: -The idea that good, hard working, white people should pay for those who are not, and thus in the name of equality create the conditions for their own genetic annihilation

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

Quinine is a medication used to treat malaria and babesiosis.[2] This includes the treatment of malaria due to Plasmodium falciparum that is resistant to chloroquine when artesunate is not available.[2][3] While used for restless legs syndrome, it is not recommended for this purpose due to the risk of side effects.[2] It can be taken by mouth or used intravenously.[2] Malaria resistance to quinine occurs in certain areas of the world.[2] Quinine is also the ingredient in tonic water that gives it its bitter taste.[4]

Common side effects include headache, ringing in the ears, trouble seeing, and sweating.[2] More severe side effects include deafness, low blood platelets, and an irregular heartbeat.[2] Use can make one more prone to sunburn.[2] While it is unclear if use during pregnancy causes harm to the baby, use to treat malaria during pregnancy is still recommended.[2] Quinine is an alkaloid, a naturally occurring chemical compound.[2] How it works as a medicine is not entirely clear.[2]

I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,142 Posts

Tonic water is dilute. You would have to consume 20 liters to get the dose used for malaria. However a homeopath would consider a trace adequate for healing.

Thanks

Ahh, G&T is one of my favorite topics. I always knew it had health benefits.

I highly recommend Junipero Gin (even though it's made in Frisco) with Fever Tree Indian Tonic. I prefer lemon as a garnish while many others prefer lime. 2 oz. gin with 3 oz. tonic.

If you want to try an Old Tom style gin (sweeter), Barr Hill Gin is liquid gold. Juniper and honey are the only added ingredients. Taste like nothing else. I sleep with a bottle underneath my pillow.

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,142 Posts

A teaspoon of honey added to the cheapest Scotch will not only make it taste like Chivas Regal but also qualifies as 'medicinal'.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jewboo View Post
    Quinine is a medication used to treat malaria and babesiosis.[2] This includes the treatment of malaria due to Plasmodium falciparum that is resistant to chloroquine when artesunate is not available.[2][3] While used for restless legs syndrome, it is not recommended for this purpose due to the risk of side effects.[2] It can be taken by mouth or used intravenously.[2] Malaria resistance to quinine occurs in certain areas of the world.[2] Quinine is also the ingredient in tonic water that gives it its bitter taste.[4]

Common side effects include headache, ringing in the ears, trouble seeing, and sweating.[2] More severe side effects include deafness, low blood platelets, and an irregular heartbeat.[2] Use can make one more prone to sunburn.[2] While it is unclear if use during pregnancy causes harm to the baby, use to treat malaria during pregnancy is still recommended.[2] Quinine is an alkaloid, a naturally occurring chemical compound.[2] How it works as a medicine is not entirely clear.[2]

Oh those are side effects of the quinine I always thought it was hangover from gin...
    Cultural Marxism: -The idea that good, hard working, white people should pay for those who are not, and thus in the name of equality create the conditions for their own genetic annihilation

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neuro View Post
    Oh those are side effects of the quinine I always thought it was hangover from gin...
    Medicinal doses are 10X-50X beverage doses (or more). I am not worrying about side effects. 2 grams a day (2000 mg) can be lethal.

"What is 'is'?"