Thread: The Mysterious Life of Fritz Schindelar. African White Hunter.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 1,979 Posts

The Mysterious Life of Fritz Schindelar. African White Hunter.

This is a story of a white hunter in Africa that is pretty interesting. The music is good and it's about adventure and the consequences of taking risks. I like to hear the stories of peoples lives and this is a good one.

We are all travelers through this world
    Birth till Death
    We travel between the Eternities. Robert Duval as Print Ritter "The Broken Trail"

I believe the DSCI christians know and speak the truth
    https://christogenea.org

The old coyote senses danger and sinks into the grass.
    He cannot be seen but he watches and waits. Author unknown

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tumbleweed For This Useful Post:

Hitch (22nd April 2020),madfranks (22nd April 2020),woodman (22nd April 2020)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Re: The Mysterious Life of Fritz Schindelar. African White Hunter.

That's a good one, and I ordered the book on my kindle reader. One of the best books I've read about big game hunting in Africa, is called Death in the Long Grass, written by Peter Capstick. Capstick, a guide, takes you on the hunt with him in the book. His stories are amazing. You'd really enjoy that book Tumbleweed. Thanks for sharing this one.
    life is good.

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,260 Posts

Good stuff Tumbleweed. A favorite movie of mine is “The Ghost and the Darkness”. About lions in Africa and based on true events. There is also a real good short story by Hemingway called “The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber” which takes place on an African safari.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

5. The Following User Says Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

Tumbleweed (22nd April 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    Good stuff Tumbleweed. There is also a real good short story by Hemingway called “The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber” which takes place on an African safari.
    I'll have to look in to that because I like stories.
    Birth till Death
    We travel between the Eternities. Robert Duval as Print Ritter "The Broken Trail"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    “The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber” which takes place on an African safari.
    I looked in to it a little and here's what I found.

Hemingway's Short Stories

Ernest Hemingway

Summary

It is noon. Francis Macomber is on an African safari; Macomber is thirty-five years old, a trim, fit man who holds a number of big-game fishing records. However, at the moment, he has just demonstrated that he is a coward. However, members of the safari are acting as though "nothing had happened." The natives at camp carried Macomber into camp triumphantly, but the gun-bearers who witnessed Macomber's cowardice do not participate in the celebration.

In a flashback, the reader realizes that Macomber and his beautiful wife, Margot, are wealthy Americans, and that this jaunt is their first safari — and that Macomber, when faced with his first lion, bolted and fled, earning the contempt of his wife. Of course, though, she has been contemptuous of him for some time; Francis' running from the lion like a scared rabbit has only increased her dislike for her unmanly husband. She makes no secret of this as she slips off in the middle of the night for a rendezvous with the safari guide, Robert Wilson.

Next day, as she observes Francis gaining a measure of courage as he engages in a standoff with a charging water buffalo, she realizes that if Francis continues to prove himself strong and willful and courageous, he might leave her and rid himself forever of her sharp-tongued ridicule.

As the standoff with the second water buffalo becomes more intense as the water buffalo's horns inch closer and closer to goring Francis, Margot takes aim at the water buffalo, shooting Francis in the back of the head, and he dies at the most courageous moment of his "short happy life."
    Birth till Death

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

There's a lesson in that, Tumbleweed.

Don't Get Married.
    life is good.