Thread: Killed my sweet potatoes, how to make soil acidic??

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,511 Times in 2,602 Posts

Killed my sweet potatoes, how to make soil acidic??

So, I got my sweet potatoes from steeleplantcompany (they actually doubled my order for free), and I planted them the day after they arrived. They looked fine when they arrived, but as soon as I planted them they basically died. I think the problem was that I forgot to check the pH --my soil is 7 and sweet potatoes apparently like acidic soil.

Does anyone know how to make soil acidic?

Thanks

Re: Killed my sweet potatoes, how to make soil acidic??

I could never grow sweet potatoes. They always died on me! ��
    To control the opposition, one must start the opposition. Joseph Stalin
    My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me."
    My people have perished for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I reject you from being priest for Me. Since you have forgotten the Torah of your Elohim, I also forget your children.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ImaCannin For This Useful Post:

Amanda (18th May 2020)

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,260 Posts

I have read that coffee grounds are effective. I also see that elemental sulpher and high nitrogen fertilizers such as urea will do it. You can get test kits at garden shops.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

5. The Following User Says Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

Amanda (18th May 2020)

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks

Yes, I have a test kit, but forgot to use it until after the fact.

Yes, saw that about coffee grounds, and even more for diluted coffee--I watered them with coffee/water all yesterday. I'll check again today, but I think it's impossible to save them. I'll just have to work on the soil. I've also seen that about sulphur- so I'll have to try that.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,310 Posts

Not an expert here, but i think most people use peat moss to make soil more acidic. My regular taters are growing in some now.

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks

Sweet potatoes came back to life (they seriously looked dead). I think it was a combo of the soil not being the right pH and the weather (it wasn't too warm when I planted them). They seriously looked dead, but I was too lazy to dig them out. Even though they looked completely dead, I decided to water them with 50/50 water/coffee (I read somewhere that that is a way to make the soil more acidic). Anyway, once the weather got warmer, they came back to life.

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    Sweet potatoes came back to life (they seriously looked dead). I think it was a combo of the soil not being the right pH and the weather (it wasn't too warm when I planted them). They seriously looked dead, but I was too lazy to dig them out. Even though they looked completely dead, I decided to water them with 50/50 water/coffee (I read somewhere that that is a way to make the soil more acidic). Anyway, once the weather got warmer, they came back to life.
    Well, I can tell you this: I water myself every morning with 100% coffee and it brings me back to life.

ETA: I am told I am already too acidic.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage