Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Austin protest shooting victim remembered for devotion to fiancée, racial justice"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,857 Posts

"Austin protest shooting victim remembered for devotion to fiancée, racial justice"

Dachsie comments: I have bolded the area that differs about 180 degrees to the way Mike Bara described this on last nights Real Deal Report show*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74KTD4_E3N4

look at 2:09 on video track to hear Mike Bara's version of what happened in this incident.

The alleged "victim", Foster, shot an unknown or unnamed car that was driving by and came upon a protest 5 times and missed 5 times with an AK47 described in the Statesman story posted here as "an assault rifle."
    The shooter in the car shot back 3 times and killed Foster. I gather that the driver of the vehicle who shot Foster drove away and has not been apprehended by Austin police.

Notice how the Austin Statesman tells a completely different story. This is pretty horrible incident.

I do not know what truly happened and of course I want truth and justice, but in this very blue city, and if Mike Bara's version of what happened is the truth, I'm not holding my breath.

...https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...racial-justice...

racial justice
    By Katie Hall
    @Katie_Statesman
    By Danny Davis
    @aasdanny
    Posted Jul 25, 2020 at 10:29 PM Updated Jul 27, 2020 at 9:54 AM

Garrett Foster, who was shot to death during a downtown Austin protest Saturday night, was remembered as a man dedicated to exercising his Second Amendment rights, stamping out racial injustice and caring for his fiancée, according to family and friends.

The incident leading up to the 28-year-old’s death began about 9:50 p.m. when a driver on Fourth Street honked his horn and turned right onto Congress Avenue where there was a crowd of protesters, Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said Sunday.

Several protesters — including Foster, who was holding an assault rifle — approached the car, Manley said. He said the driver reported that Foster pointed the weapon at him. The driver then pointed his handgun outside the window, fired multiple shots and drove away, Manley said.

Someone else in the crowd opened fire on the car as it drove off, Manley said.

First responders performed CPR on Foster, but he died at Dell Seton Medical Center less than an hour after the shooting, officials said.
    Related content
    Texas law gives no simple answer in Garrett Foster killing at Austin protest
    July 27, 2020

No other injuries were reported.

Austin police said they detained the person who fired the fatal shots and he cooperated with investigators. He has been released, along with the second shooter, Manley said.

Witnesses who attended the protest told the American-Statesman that the driver appeared to drive into the crowd and came to a stop when the vehicle hit an orange barrier. They also said Foster had his weapon pointed down.

Manley would not say why the driver was originally at the scene of the protest.

In a Facebook Live video of the hourslong march, a car’s honking is heard before two volleys of gunshots, a total of eight rounds, are unleashed. Several screaming protesters immediately take cover.

embedded videos and clips throughout article

racial justice
    By Katie Hall
    @Katie_Statesman
    By Danny Davis
    @aasdanny
    Posted Jul 25, 2020 at 10:29 PM Updated Jul 27, 2020 at 9:54 AM

Garrett Foster, who was shot to death during a downtown Austin protest Saturday night, was remembered as a man dedicated to exercising his Second Amendment rights, stamping out racial injustice and caring for his fiancée, according to family and friends.

The incident leading up to the 28-year-old’s death began about 9:50 p.m. when a driver on Fourth Street honked his horn and turned right onto Congress Avenue where there was a crowd of protesters, Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said Sunday.

Several protesters — including Foster, who was holding an assault rifle — approached the car, Manley said. He said the driver reported that Foster pointed the weapon at him. The driver then pointed his handgun outside the window, fired multiple shots and drove away, Manley said.

Someone else in the crowd opened fire on the car as it drove off, Manley said.

First responders performed CPR on Foster, but he died at Dell Seton Medical Center less than an hour after the shooting, officials said.
    Related content
    Texas law gives no simple answer in Garrett Foster killing at Austin protest
    July 27, 2020

No other injuries were reported.

Austin police said they detained the person who fired the fatal shots and he cooperated with investigators. He has been released, along with the second shooter, Manley said.

Witnesses who attended the protest told the American-Statesman that the driver appeared to drive into the crowd and came to a stop when the vehicle hit an orange barrier. They also said Foster had his weapon pointed down.

Manley would not say why the driver was originally at the scene of the protest.

In a Facebook Live video of the hourslong march, a car’s honking is heard before two volleys of gunshots, a total of eight rounds, are unleashed. Several screaming protesters immediately take cover.

Manley is asking for the public’s help with providing footage or accounts of the incident by calling the Crime Stoppers anonymous tip line at (512) 472-8477 or emailing homicide.apd@austintexas.gov.

“We are heartbroken over the loss of Mr. Foster last night. It is actively being investigated ... in conjunction with the Travis County district attorney’s office,” Manley said.

Racial justice important to victim

Foster grew up in Plano and had been living in Austin with his fiancée, Whitney Mitchell, for about two years. Mitchell was at the protest in a wheelchair with him at the time, and the two had been to such events in downtown Austin against police violence for months, according to protesters and Foster’s family.

Mitchell is Black and Foster is white, and issues of racial injustice were incredibly important to him, his family said.

“They’ve experienced so much hate just for their relationship in general,” said his sister, Anna Mayo. “From day one, he’s fought to end that.”

Mitchell and Foster started dating about a decade ago. Foster enlisted in the U.S. Air Force in his late teens and had to leave for basic training two months after Mitchell had all four of her limbs amputated after she developed a medical condition that led to sepsis.

Foster worked in the Air Force as a flight mechanic until he was 19, when he was discharged to be Mitchell’s full-time caretaker, his family said.

“That time when he was gone was so detrimental to both of them, because they were very much in love, and he had cared for her so well,” his aunt Karen Sourber said. “He’s been her primary caretaker ever since. He just loved her unconditionally and took care of everything.”

Protesters said they got to know the couple well throughout the many protests this summer.

“A lot of us haven’t slept — I haven’t been asleep,” protester Julian Salazar, who witnessed the shooting, said Sunday morning. “It’s been heartbreaking. A lot of us are angry, depressed, sad to learn that his (fiancée) now is going to be struggling. The one person she had here in Austin, who was always going to be there for her, is now gone.”

Foster often talked to protesters about his rifle, which he brought to the protests, Salazar said. Mayo said Second Amendment rights were important to him.

“My brother would have never, ever pointed a gun at somebody,” Mayo said. “He always carried his guns with him. He had a license to carry in Texas — we’re an open carry state. He always would exercise his right to carry, but he would never threaten somebody. He was one of the most kindhearted people — that was the whole reason he was out there.”

As of 6 p.m. Sunday, a GoFundMe page for Foster’s funeral expenses and for Mitchell’s care had raised more than $90,000.

Protesters shaken

By early Sunday morning, about 50 protesters had returned to Austin police headquarters, where protesters had convened hours earlier. Mitchell joined the protesters and was visibly grieving. Protesters surrounded her to give her their condolences while chanting Foster’s name.

“It made our message that much more meaningful for us. ... We’ve got a brother that was stripped from us,” a protester told the Statesman outside of police headquarters; he declined to provide his full name, as many protesters have done, citing fear of retaliation. “The fact that you can go from being five feet away from this man at the beginning of the march, him marching, him yelling, him chanting to being lifeless. It’s a messed-up reality.”

Protesters have taken to Austin streets regularly over the past several weeks to oppose what they say is local police brutality against people of color.

Recent cases of Austin officers using force include the fatal shooting of Michael Ramos, a 42-year-old half Black and half Hispanic man, by Austin police as he pulled out of an apartment complex parking lot on South Pleasant Valley Road in April.

Javier Ambler II died last year in North Austin after Williamson County sheriff’s deputies used a stun gun on him despite his calling out to officers that he had congestive heart failure and couldn’t breathe.

Outgoing Travis County District Attorney Margaret Moore said Wednesday that she was going to forgo taking Ramos’ and Amblers’ cases to a grand jury, instead leaving that decision to the next district attorney. Moore had previously planned to present the cases to a special grand jury next month.

Protesters out of police headquarters on Sunday added Foster’s name to the list of people they say deserve justice.

“What needs to happen tonight is that people need to understand that just because Austin calls itself progressive, just because Austin calls itself liberal, if that is not reflected in the actions of the city, then that is not the truth, and we must live within the truth,” a protester said.

Warning: The video below contains graphic images and language.

UPDATE (10:50 p.m.): A vigil honoring Foster drew several hundred people to downtown Austin on Sunday night.

Staff writer Tony Plohetski contributed to this report.

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

Re: "Austin protest shooting victim remembered for devotion to fiancée, racial justic

That guy is a complete moron. The shootee did NOT have a "machinegun" he had a semi-auto AK-47 variant which is very similar to an AK-47 machinegun except that a real AK-47 machinegun is capable of both semi-auto and full auto fire. Then he says that the useful idiot with the AK opened fire on the motorist when the useful idiot never managed to get a shot off. What a derelict idiot, I'm guessing he doesn't even own a gun.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Thanks

Re: "Austin protest shooting victim remembered for devotion to fiancée, racial justic

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
    That guy is a complete moron. The shootee did NOT have a "machinegun" he had a semi-auto AK-47 variant which is very similar to an AK-47 machinegun except that a real AK-47 machinegun is capable of both semi-auto and full auto fire. Then he says that the useful idiot with the AK opened fire on the motorist when the useful idiot never managed to get a shot off. What a derelict idiot, I'm guessing he doesn't even own a gun.
    I agree with I did not like Mike Bara's presentation and I take your info for true about the AK 47.

How do you know the motorist never managed to get a shot off. How do we know the motorist shot 3 times? How do we know the motorist got away?

I just do not know but the fact that the two versions of what happened differed so extremely is what made me think all sides do not seem to be reporting objectively and accurately.

Sad to say, The Real Deal Report show and website and soon-to-be new independent video platform is not shaping up to provide what I consider to be objective accurate quality journalism and commentary.

Mike Bara constantly throughout each show asks the question that so many of us are asking "why isn't Trump doing something." It is to the extent that it looks like he is trying to rouse anger and emotions in the audience, for what reason I do not know.

My main feeling is that there is no constructive information to suggest action we can take. It is basically the "ain't it awful" game and "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" or "Bring it on" popular schticks.

I really had never heard of any of these guys before except Dr. James Fetzer . I do not know why Dr. Fetzer left Revolution Radio show and now is moving to shows of his where there are no callers participating. Dr. Fetzer mainly just reads about different news stories and asks for the other two reporters' responses.

RealDealMedia.com is the website and it is shaping up to look nice but still no independent video platform capability.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dachsie View Post
    I agree with I did not like Mike Bara's presentation and I take your info for true about the AK 47.

How do you know the motorist never managed to get a shot off. How do we know the motorist shot 3 times? How do we know the motorist got away?

I just do not know but the fact that the two versions of what happened differed so extremely is what made me think all sides do not seem to be reporting objectively and accurately.

Sad to say, The Real Deal Report show and website and soon-to-be new independent video platform is not shaping up to provide what I consider to be objective accurate quality journalism and commentary.

Mike Bara constantly throughout each show asks the question that so many of us are asking "why isn't Trump doing something." It is to the extent that it looks like he is trying to rouse anger and emotions in the audience, for what reason I do not know.

My main feeling is that there is no constructive information to suggest action we can take. It is basically the "ain't it awful" game and "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" or "Bring it on" popular schticks.

I really had never heard of any of these guys before except Dr. James Fetzer . I do not know why Dr. Fetzer left Revolution Radio show and now is moving to shows of his where there are no callers participating. Dr. Fetzer mainly just reads about different news stories and asks for the other two reporters' responses.

RealDealMedia.com is the website and it is shaping up to look nice but still no independent video platform capability.

Guess I am getting off topic of the Austin shooting incident but I do not feel like starting a new thread and this is related to my doubts about the new Real Deal Report show and platform.

The Real Deal Report of 7-28-20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzPnYzJ9abk

I stopped listening to this show after the Tucker Carlson clip that Dr. Fetzer introduced.

The Real Deal Report of 7-28-20 contained a video clip of Tucker Carlson and it was shown to demonstrate the strong words Tucker Carlson used about the media for not reporting about all the heavy violence going on last weekend in Portland and other places. So far, so good, but then at 5:39 on that show video Tucker slipped in this comment...

"Oh, intensified. Just like the World Trade Center collapsed when a commercial airlines flight intensified."

That's the big shoe drop.

Carlson has always held the official narrative position and interpretation on 9-11-01 and he had to slip in that comment to reinforce his position on 9-11. I dare say Fox News also has always had the wrong take on 9-11 and still does and wants to keep slipping in commentary to let their position be known that they are one hundred percent in with the official narrative of every big event, including 9-11 and the current violence in the streets.

I also think Carlson is wrong about the real definition of "violence". Violence does not only mean physical violence and fighting in the streets. There is psychological psyop violence that exerts very real violence and harm on people's psyches. Introducing fear and panic and disorder and anarchy all based on psyop manipulations of our "deep state" entities is just as wrong as doing physical violence. There is nothing patriotic and "truthful" about that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dachsie For This Useful Post:

woodman (29th July 2020)

Thanks

I know a cop who was on the scene early on, didn't witness it but was there pretty quickly. Motorist shot a .45 revolver five times hitting the peaceful protester three times. Multiple witnesses said the peaceful protester raised his gun on the motorist who then drew his revolver and got off five quick shots. Motorist then drove off, called 911 and turned himself in. Motorist is a sgt. in the army and lives on base.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Thanks

Am gradually trying to get the whole factual story of what exactly happened in this shooting incident.

Here is a short video that fills in a few of the blanks.

The person who shot and killed the protester was DANIEL PERRY. He turned himself in immediately and I think he is still in custody of police but I really do not know his status at this time and none of our local newspaper or media is reporting on this whole case now.

11:12 video runtime

Texas Trumps BLM/Antifa | First Five 8.3.20
    •Aug 4, 2020
    Save
    America Can We Talk?
    Texas Trumps BLM/Antifa

Follow Debbie Georgatos!

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/AmericaCanWe...

America Can We Talk is a show with a mission — to speak up for the extraordinary and unique greatness of America. I talk about the top issues of the day facing America, often with insightful guests, always from the perspective of furthering that mission, and with the goal to inspire listeners to celebrate and embrace the liberty on which America was founded.

Thanks

Daniel Perry was questioned by APD for several hours that night and then released, he was never arrested/jailed. Perry is now restricted to post (Ft. Hood).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
    Daniel Perry was questioned by APD for several hours that night and then released, he was never arrested/jailed. Perry is now restricted to post (Ft. Hood).
    Interesting information. Would appreciate source if you recall.

There are many ways to interpret this incident and each way deserves full study and reporting, just as was true for 9-11-01 but did not really happen as fully as it should have.

Thanks

An APD cop who was on scene is the source for Perry being questioned and released, the nooz media stated he was restricted to post at Ft. Hood.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

Dachsie (7th August 2020)

Thanks

"Austin City Council Officially Calls For Blowing Up Police Station As Symbol Of Ending Police Hate"
    infowars.com

A radical new budget proposal by the Austin, Texas, City Council calls for a controlled demolition of the police department’s current headquarters in a symbolic gesture towards Black Lives Matter and defund police protesters.

“We should expedite the demolition of the APD Headquarters by directing the City Manager to move all remaining APD staff out of the existing headquarters building and into other underutilized city facilities,” reads the proposal submitted Monday by Council Member Jimmy Flannigan.

The existing APD property, prime real estate situated in the heart of Austin, would then be used to highlight black inequity and support the black community, the proposal states.

“That property… should be dedicated to addressing historic economic inequities in the black community and supporting future black community economic success,” states Flannigan’s proposal. “A community-led effort should be initiated to determine the specifics on how such a valuable property could be leveraged, and possibly serve as a gateway to East Austin.”

According to the proposal, the demolition would be accompanied by a restructuring which would turn over control of patrol and all other divisions to civilians chosen by the mayor and city council.

08/10/2020
    Categories: Breaking News

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dachsie For This Useful Post:

midnight rambler (11th August 2020)