Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole house generator?

Thanks

Whole house generator?

What is your choice for a whole house propane generator?
    To control the opposition, one must start the opposition. Joseph Stalin
    My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me."
    My people have perished for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I reject you from being priest for Me. Since you have forgotten the Torah of your Elohim, I also forget your children.

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,855 Times in 7,912 Posts

Re: Whole house generator?

Suggest you forget a propane/LPG generator unless you're only utilizing it for hours, not days or weeks because they are serious fuel hogs. Get a diesel generator. When I plumbed my current house for LPG I stubbed out for a LPG generator. Then I researched the matter and concluded LPG is a very bad choice for extended use more than 3-4 days, a 10-12 KW LPG powered generator will empty your 500 gallon LPG tank (actually at 80% max fill it's 400 gallons) in short order
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

ImaCannin (7th September 2020),woodman (7th September 2020)

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,142 Posts

Using a Honda EU2000i in the evening for 2-3 hours to top off the solar batteries, charge smart phone and run the tv/internet a 5 gallon can of gasoline lasts perhaps 3 weeks. These can be converted to lp for around 150 bux. They burn cleaner and smell less on lp but my rule is to change the crankcase oil and wash the air filter every time I refill the 5 gal gas can. It signifies 50 hours of run time.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ziero0 For This Useful Post:

BrewTech (10th September 2020),ImaCannin (7th September 2020),JDRock (11th September 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,319 Times in 1,979 Posts

I have a gasoline powered Generac 17500 watt portable generator. I have it for emergencies and for jobs where there isn't power available. It's big enough to run an electric welder, freezers, water pumps and heaters. It's has a sixteen gallon fuel tank and will run about twelve hours on a tank of fuel and that can get expensive. I need one at times to keep livestock waterers open so things don't freeze up and break in winter. The power here tends to go off in winter storms and has been off for a week and a half recently in the winter time. I had the electric company wire mine into my power pole so I can plug it in and it cuts off the power from the power company. It will run everything I use.

We are all travelers through this world
    Birth till Death
    We travel between the Eternities. Robert Duval as Print Ritter "The Broken Trail"

I believe the DSCI christians know and speak the truth
    https://christogenea.org

The old coyote senses danger and sinks into the grass.
    He cannot be seen but he watches and waits. Author unknown

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tumbleweed For This Useful Post:

ImaCannin (7th September 2020),woodman (7th September 2020)

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,820 Times in 2,262 Posts

MR, I too checked into a propane generator and even put money down for installation but I ended up cancelling when I realized how expensive it would be to run. Unless one has considerations like TW, it is wiser to go with a smaller unit that is not wired in. I made a cord for my small generators and plug it into a 220 outlet when the power goes out. I have to manually throw the switch in my basement but the savings is worth it. I have to be careful not to overload it by running too much at one time.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

9. The Following User Says Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

ImaCannin (7th September 2020)

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    I need one at times to keep livestock waterers open so things don't freeze up and break in winter.
    We always used an lp stock tank heater with a 100 lb cylinder.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ziero0 For This Useful Post:

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

It really depends upon two questions, how long you anticipate going without power, and secondly, how much power you actually plan on needing (in watts).

Here in CA, we are in fire season, which means the potential for roving blackouts. Usually these last a few days per area, but can be up to a week or more. Most people I talk to are going solar, with a Honda EU2000 gas generator as a backup, like Ziero posted. One guy I know already has a massive solar setup, and he's going to get forklift batteries, which are huge, to supply power to the house.

I just installed a 2000 watt inverter charger. If the power goes out, instantly the inverter kicks on so I don't even have to be home. My next step is installing the batteries, then solar. I have a small 650 watt generator that I can use if needed to charge the batteries, but won't be able to do much else.
    life is good.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    he's going to get forklift batteries, which are huge, to supply power to the house.
    Battery banks are like bank accounts. To many you can't be too large with either. This is a symptom of mental illness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
    I just installed a 2000 watt inverter charger. If the power goes out, instantly the inverter kicks on so I don't even have to be home.
    My inverter runs all the time. It is 800 watts from Harbor Freight and their tariff was $40. It was so cheap I bought a spare.

The inverter is modified sine wave. Avoid the true sine wave units. They are less efficient and put out lots of heat.

The battery bank is one marine battery from Walmart in parallel with two 6v golf cart batteries. This is enough to last all night. There are 4 solar panels around 20 years old at 100w each.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ziero0 For This Useful Post:

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,820 Times in 2,262 Posts

I think the most important consideration when choosing a whole house generator is "how much and how long". Diesel is the most bang for the buck, but gas/propane is a cheaper outlay initially. If you see a need for long periods without grid power or are off grid, then diesel is definitely the best.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

17. The Following User Says Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woodman View Post
    Diesel is the most bang for the buck.
    We had an ice storm 12 years ago. The neighbor had power so he loaned his 150hp Deere with Pto generator to a neighbor. His daily cost for fuel was $60.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ziero0 For This Useful Post: