Thread: Any AMZN Kindle users here? I gots some questions

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

Any AMZN Kindle users here? I gots some questions

Decided to send the fam some books. Only question is, cheaper & instantly delivered kindle versions, or physical paperbacks. BTW, U don't need the old kindle device; there's a free kindle reader app for every major OS incl mac, windoze, iPhone, android. I imagine these all include some kind of text-to-voice reader, so u can just listen as well, true?

I hope we all agree off the bat, first choice would be paperback. But there's some 'delivery' dilemmas in my situation... leave it at that.

Concerns w kindle amount to, AFAIK, it's [yet another] SPY APP. It knows when & what pages are read (or at least 'displayed'), & reports it all back to amzn. I heard an interview w someone who'd authored a book w a kindle version; said amzn has this deal where author is paid not for their total body of work delivered for $XX price, but for what of the kindle ver was ACTUALLY READ by the buyer... WTF?! Seems a case of, amzn does this author/seller-joowing setup, because they can, w their defacto monopoly. Then, amzn would also no doubt be joowing authors coz amzn maintains total 'opaque' control of this incoming readership data.

Then there's NOT ONLY the whole imminent engineered power outages, &/or cyber attacks taking down ppl's ability to read their digital books; but there's ALSO the possibility for amzn to just remotely zap/disable/delete/whatever; do an electronic "book burning" of every kindle ver of any book ADL suddenly decides they don't like. amzn has already proved they can/will do this, in the recent several years of 'burning' many books off their monopoly platform.

Main QUESTION re kindle books is, how does amzn prevent kindle books (files) being widely shared? A kindle buyer can't just drop the file onto the interwebs & share it w everyone who wants it, free, right? How does amzn control this "free sharing" which'd kill actual $ALE$ of the book?
    FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

Thanks
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,857 Posts

Re: Any AMZN Kindle users here? I gots some questions

Quote Originally Posted by PatColo;
    Main QUESTION re kindle books is, [B
    how does amzn prevent kindle books (files) being widely shared?[/B] A kindle buyer can't just drop the file onto the interwebs & share it w everyone who wants it, free, right? How does amzn control this "free sharing" which'd kill actual $ALE$ of the book?[/SIZE]
    I can only guess how this is done based on my own experience of closing my Amazon.com account. I lost all of my kindle books when I did that. Still happy about my decision. What is really weird is that when I order something from Walmart.com it is sometimes delivered by an Amazon employee in a Amazon vehicle. I guess they contract out that delivery service separately to Walmart market vendors who contract for that delivery service.

Anyway, I would say the kindle purchases have to be on the computer and one email address that is tied to the Amazon credit account. It is not possible to somehow get that kindle book file separated from Amazon and that Amazon.com account to which that kindle book purchase is tied.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dachsie For This Useful Post:

PatColo (22nd January 2021)

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,260 Posts

I have some Kindle books with a Kindle app on my Iphone. I far prefer to read a paperback. I don't know much about the programming aspects of Kindle but it is certainly a control mechanism. Since operation Talpiot went into effect decades ago, one must assume that everything has been tainted. Everything. Figure out how to get the physical books to them. Order from Valore Books or Thrift Books or one of the many booksellers online that are not Amazon. It is not always possible to avoid doing business with the Devil but one should minimize feeding that monster.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

5. The Following User Says Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

PatColo (23rd January 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dachsie View Post
    I can only guess how this is done based on my own experience of closing my Amazon.com account. I lost all of my kindle books when I did that. Still happy about my decision.
    that's pretty remarkable, 'losing' all ur kindles upon closing ur amzn acct! Dumb question I know, but I don't imagine they send you any partial refund, as they should?! U pay their full asking price at the outset to 'own' the book, or "intellectual property", then they can just pull the plug, & keep the price u paid?!

'SMH' as the interweb dweebs say!

Giving up amzn is principled & all, but it's a great loss to you the buyer. Not only can you find virtually everything imaginable there, not available @ your local retailers, AND u can compare products side by side, read reviews, have questions answered; but there's also the convenience of ordering a dozen/whatever disparate odds & ends, & the shipping progress emails are also 'conveniently' consolidated.

And it's hard to imagine that, in the end, amzn won't still "win" similar to how big box Walmart & Costco & Home Depot pretty much "won" over the former main street hardware/variety/etc stores... small fry activists who boycott (amzn/etc), be damned.

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatColo View Post
    that's pretty remarkable, 'losing' all ur kindles upon closing ur amzn acct! Dumb question I know, but I don't imagine they send you any partial refund, as they should?! U pay their full asking price at the outset to 'own' the book, or "intellectual property", then they can just pull the plug, & keep the price u paid?!

'SMH' as the interweb dweebs say!

Giving up amzn is principled & all, but it's a great loss to you the buyer. Not only can you find virtually everything imaginable there, not available @ your local retailers, AND u can compare products side by side, read reviews, have questions answered; but there's also the convenience of ordering a dozen/whatever disparate odds & ends, & the shipping progress emails are also 'conveniently' consolidated.

And it's hard to imagine that, in the end, amzn won't still "win" similar to how big box Walmart & Costco & Home Depot pretty much "won" over the former main street hardware/variety/etc stores... small fry activists who boycott (amzn/etc), be damned.
    The thing is if you read the Amazon agreement regarding the kindle facility, you do not fully own the kindle book and it is never fully in your possession and the "sales p;rice" of the book is not a sales price but rather a rental fee.

I do just as well ordering from Walmart and their customer service by phone is far superior to Amazon's. With Amazon you rarely get to email with or be on phone with a real personal human being about your customer service concern. By the way, walking in to a Whole Foods store is like walking into a brick and mortar Amazon these days and all the employees are wearing Amazon shirts. I used to do much better in ordering used books from Thrift Books and Alibris. Amazon was the vanguard "burn the books" First Amendment destroyer company and that reality was glaring for about last twenty years.

Would mention that purchasing TPP is full of glitches these days, whether by Internet ordering or by walk in to store.
    Thought I would zap one of my abbreviations on you, PatColo, because I never am able to figure out your many abbreviations (SMH ).

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dachsie For This Useful Post:

monty (23rd January 2021),PatColo (23rd January 2021)

Thanks

SMH - Shaking My Head

& I don't know TPP - except the old "Trans Pacific Partnership" globalist scam which Trump EO'd USA out of in his first few days in office, but which Creeper will surely "get back on track"

Thanks

TPP is tangible personal property.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dachsie View Post
    TPP is tangible personal property.
    ^ I definitely wouldn't have guessed that one!

When I see an unfamiliar interwebs abbreviation floating around & finally get tired of not getting its meaning, I find, if it's "established" enough, I can just enter it into my browser's URL field, which I have set to search via Duckduckgo, & it'll USUALLY be listed in the top few search results, if not the top.

SMH "Shaking My Head" is the 2nd result for me, sharing the top 3 spots with a Sarasota FL hospital, & "Sydney Morning Harold" tho:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=smh

Ur TPP "Tangible Personal Property" is nowhere on the first page of search results, and I didn't look any further!

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=TPP